DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   thump sund in heating duct (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/83632-thump-sund-heating-duct.html)

t&k December 29th 04 06:55 PM

thump sund in heating duct

there is a banging noise in heating duct shortly after furnace comes on it
only happens once. Is this due to the expansion of the sheet metal?

Matt December 29th 04 07:02 PM

Either that, or Bruce Willis is filming another Die Hard movie.

Joseph Meehan December 29th 04 08:00 PM

t&k wrote:
there is a banging noise in heating duct shortly after furnace comes
on it only happens once. Is this due to the expansion of the sheet
metal?

When the fan goes on the pressure in the ducts change and some of them
may flex in or out. You may notice that larger panels are often creased to
provide a little more strength to prevent this problem. If you hunt down
the specific part that is flexing you may be able to shim or stiffen it to
eliminate the sound.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

bill a December 30th 04 02:59 AM

an alien chasing sigorney?

AUSTIN1880 December 30th 04 04:33 AM

there is a banging noise in heating duct shortly after furnace comes on it
only happens once. Is this due to the expansion of the sheet metal?

Yes, it's called the "oil can" effect. Just a nuisance, nothing more...

Ed

Joe_Stein December 30th 04 04:01 PM

Sounds like a demon. Better call TAPS.
Joe

Matt December 30th 04 04:13 PM

I watched that show last night.... finally was forced to turn the
channel when I saw em flashing that $10 temp probe around and being
astounded when it went from 60 to 50 to 45 to 60..... Well, um.... DUH.

The every 15 minute adverts for roto rooter don't do much for me either.

Bubba December 30th 04 09:18 PM

On 30 Dec 2004 04:33:18 GMT, (AUSTIN1880) wrote:

there is a banging noise in heating duct shortly after furnace comes on it
only happens once. Is this due to the expansion of the sheet metal?

Yes, it's called the "oil can" effect. Just a nuisance, nothing more...

Ed

Actually, its called, "The ductwork probably isnt sized properly".
Most likely, the furnace is too big or the ductwork is too small.
Either way, it means a shorter life span for your heat exchanger and
associated temperature controls in your furnace like the high limit.
Then of course we can get into the air conditioning but thats a whole
nother story.
Bubba