Walter R.

Default Stainless Steel Appliances are a curse

We had a nice, old refrigerator. Worked pretty well, too.

Then we decided we had to upgrade our kitchen to keep up with the neighbors.
We bought a $ 2000 Jennair.

Trouble was, it had stainless steel doors. They are a pain in the xxxx to
keep clean and shining. The darned thing always shows streaks. How can we
possible impress our neighbors with a streaky refrigerator like this? :-)

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Walter

Appliance Repair Aid

Walter R. wrote:
We had a nice, old refrigerator. Worked pretty well, too.

Then we decided we had to upgrade our kitchen to keep up with the

neighbors.
We bought a $ 2000 Jennair.

Trouble was, it had stainless steel doors. They are a pain in the

xxxx to
keep clean and shining. The darned thing always shows streaks. How

can we
possible impress our neighbors with a streaky refrigerator like this?

:-)

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Walter

Hi,

This may help....
http://www.applianceaid.com/sscleaning.html
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

"Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?"

Get rid of your kids.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Walter R." wrote in message +

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

White spray paint. My wife likes the SS, but I hate it for the reasons you
describe.

LDR

In article , wer25
@example.com says...
We had a nice, old refrigerator. Worked pretty well, too.

Then we decided we had to upgrade our kitchen to keep up with the neighbors.
We bought a $ 2000 Jennair.

Trouble was, it had stainless steel doors. They are a pain in the xxxx to
keep clean and shining. The darned thing always shows streaks. How can we
possible impress our neighbors with a streaky refrigerator like this? :-)

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Walter

Bar Keepers Friend (a type of Ajax, which you buy at Kitchen Kaboodle,
hardware stores, some supermarkets) works marvelously, but you have to
buy a lot and apply a lot for it to solve your problem.

m Ransley

get rid of your neighbors

SQLit

"Walter R." wrote in message
We had a nice, old refrigerator. Worked pretty well, too.

Then we decided we had to upgrade our kitchen to keep up with the

neighbors.
We bought a $ 2000 Jennair.

Trouble was, it had stainless steel doors. They are a pain in the xxxx to
keep clean and shining. The darned thing always shows streaks. How can we
possible impress our neighbors with a streaky refrigerator like this? :-)

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Walter

Ya I learned this lesson with a stainless island hood.

The box stores carry a spray product for cleaning stainless.. A LITTLE goes
a long way. Buy the can cleaner and you will have less problems.

When I went house shopping the realtor kept taking me to homes with SS
appliances. I finally had to put my foot down and say NO.

The only stainless I have is the sink. At least it is manageable.

Colbyt

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Spay it with Windex. Dry it with paper towels.

It will then look great for about a day. Repeat the process.

Avoid all the spay on garbage they sell. If you use that stuff you will
have oily dirty SS.

George

"Walter R." wrote in message
We had a nice, old refrigerator. Worked pretty well, too.

Then we decided we had to upgrade our kitchen to keep up with the

neighbors.
We bought a $ 2000 Jennair.

Trouble was, it had stainless steel doors. They are a pain in the xxxx to
keep clean and shining. The darned thing always shows streaks. How can we
possible impress our neighbors with a streaky refrigerator like this? :-)

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Walter

From what I have seen the right way to show off and impress everyone about
your stuff is to have all of your fancy stuff in the display kitchen which
is never used. This is much like a museum only you wouldn't have the velvet
covered chains to keep people out because that is not so "homey" looking.
Then have another kitchen in the basement in case you needed to open some
bottled water or a container of nuts...

Tom

Vinegar works very well for cleaning stainless steel. We have a dishwasher
with
a stainless steel interior, when it gets badly water spotted it's easy to
run one
cycle with some vinegar; it comes out beautiful.

-- Tom

"Walter R." wrote in message
We had a nice, old refrigerator. Worked pretty well, too.

Then we decided we had to upgrade our kitchen to keep up with the
neighbors. We bought a $ 2000 Jennair.

Trouble was, it had stainless steel doors. They are a pain in the xxxx to
keep clean and shining. The darned thing always shows streaks. How can we
possible impress our neighbors with a streaky refrigerator like this? :-)

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Walter

Greg

From what I have seen the right way to show off and impress everyone about
your stuff is to have all of your fancy stuff in the display kitchen which
is never used.

You can go the other way with a stainless kitchen and have it show that this is
a working kitchen. The stainless is clean, it just shows signs of habitation.
Once you get over the first scratch and continue to use it you eventually get
to a brushed finish.
Robert MacKinnon

Jon Eakes (of HGTV's Ask Jon Eakes") sells a stainless steel cleaner called
Gleemit in his speciality store online. URL is:
http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes...geID=&CatID=15
He stocks many hard to find yet useful products, tested and assured to do
the job that they are intended.

"Walter R." wrote in message
Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Sue

In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

I use the stainless steel wipes from Restoration Hardware. 2 wipes do
all my appliances, I wipe with the wipe and then dry with a clean cloth,
lasts about a week.
nyrna

I had a house with all ss appliances and was told to use lemon oil (like
Old English) to clean it with. That's all I used and it shined great and was
easy to keep clean (I have kids).

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

George E. Cawthon

Walter R. wrote:
We had a nice, old refrigerator. Worked pretty well, too.

Then we decided we had to upgrade our kitchen to keep up with the neighbors.
We bought a $ 2000 Jennair.

Trouble was, it had stainless steel doors. They are a pain in the xxxx to
keep clean and shining. The darned thing always shows streaks. How can we
possible impress our neighbors with a streaky refrigerator like this? :-)

Is there a simple way to keep stainless steel panels streakless and
virginally perfect?

Walter

What you need is a sealer. Easiest would be to purchase a
bottle of silicone sealer sold to seal rock, brick, and
grout; buy in most big box or ceramic tile stores.
Mentioned in one comment was using lemon oil, which would
probably do the trick also but probably not as well. You
need to really clean the stainless steel, dry, and then
apply the sealer. You will probably have to apply the
sealer at least every month, but in between times finger
prints and dirt should wash off without smearing.

chillermfg

Should have opted for "Clean Steel" as opposed to SS. The Clean Steal is a
satin polished steel that looks identical to the SS, but two things are
different. You can still use your refrigerator magnets to hang your kids
drawings. The Clean Steel does not leave fingerprints, smudges etc. Well ok,
there is a third difference too.... quite a bit cheaper than the stainless
as well.

ReRe

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

Rick Brandt

chillermfg wrote:
Should have opted for "Clean Steel" as opposed to SS. The Clean Steal
is a satin polished steel that looks identical to the SS, but two
things are different. You can still use your refrigerator magnets to
hang your kids drawings. The Clean Steel does not leave fingerprints,
smudges etc. Well ok, there is a third difference too.... quite a bit
cheaper than the stainless as well.

What would the use of regular stainless have to do with using refrigerator
magnets? Magnets stick to stainless. Perhaps you're thinking of aluminum?

Duane Bozarth

Rick Brandt wrote:
What would the use of regular stainless have to do with using refrigerator
magnets? Magnets stick to stainless. ...

Very many SS alloys are, in fact, non-ferromagnetic or, at best, very
weak...
chillermfg

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
chillermfg wrote:
Should have opted for "Clean Steel" as opposed to SS. The Clean Steal
is a satin polished steel that looks identical to the SS, but two
things are different. You can still use your refrigerator magnets to
hang your kids drawings. The Clean Steel does not leave fingerprints,
smudges etc. Well ok, there is a third difference too.... quite a bit
cheaper than the stainless as well.

What would the use of regular stainless have to do with using refrigerator
magnets? Magnets stick to stainless. Perhaps you're thinking of aluminum?

Evidently you are not familiar with stainless steel. Ok to give you the
benefit, some stainless steels are magnetic. The more ferritic properties of
the SS will result in higher magnetism. Most of the SS used for appliance
cabinetry are Austenitic Grades. (See Below)

Austenitic Grades
All austenitic grades have very low magnetic permeabilities and hence
show almost no response to a magnet when in the annealed condition; the
situation is, however, far less clear when these steels have been cold
worked by wire drawing, rolling or even centreless grinding, shot blasting
or heavy polishing. After substantial cold working Grade 304 may exhibit
quite strong response to a magnet, whereas Grades 310 and 316 will in most
instances still be almost totally non-responsive.

The change in magnetic response is due to atomic lattice straining and
formation of martensite. In general, the higher the nickel to chromium ratio
the more stable is the austenitic structure and the less magnetic response
that will be induced by cold work. Magnetic response can therefore be used
as a method for sorting grades of stainless steel, but considerable caution
needs to be exercised.

Rick Brandt

chillermfg wrote:
"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
What would the use of regular stainless have to do with using
refrigerator magnets? Magnets stick to stainless. Perhaps you're
thinking of aluminum?

Evidently you are not familiar with stainless steel. Ok to give you
the benefit, some stainless steels are magnetic. The more ferritic
properties of the SS will result in higher magnetism. Most of the SS
used for appliance cabinetry are Austenitic Grades. (See Below)

[snip]

Fair enough. I just know that magnets stick to my SS sink. If this is a
"grade" issue why would appliance makers opt for the type that is non-magnetic?
Are there advantages to that type that benefit an appliance?

chillermfg

chillermfg wrote:
"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
What would the use of regular stainless have to do with using
refrigerator magnets? Magnets stick to stainless. Perhaps you're
thinking of aluminum?

Evidently you are not familiar with stainless steel. Ok to give you
the benefit, some stainless steels are magnetic. The more ferritic
properties of the SS will result in higher magnetism. Most of the SS
used for appliance cabinetry are Austenitic Grades. (See Below)

[snip]

Fair enough. I just know that magnets stick to my SS sink. If this is a
"grade" issue why would appliance makers opt for the type that is
non-magnetic?
Are there advantages to that type that benefit an appliance?

Well, Rick,

I am not sure about the whys and why nots, but more than likely it will boil
down to cost or... since the ferritic SS have more iron properties and the
refrigerator my be subjected to humidity, so it doesn't rust.. Before you
tell me stainless doesn't rust, try google and search to see. It does. Now
each grade will oxidize differently. Even Aluminum oxidizes. The fastest
metal I have seen oxidize is Sodium. You slice a bar of Sodium with your
pocket knife and you can watch a haze form immediatly. Of course you then
have to throw the oxidized piece away into a bucket of water... Wear your
safety glasses and watch it blow up...pretty cool.
ReRe

chillermfg

"Greg" wrote in message
My Whirlpool fingerprint resistant SS fridge is magnetic, the Kohler sink
and
custom made counter/backsplash isn't.
It might be noted that 304 will show surface rust. 316 won't

Are you certain it is SS? I have Clean Steel Range, Fridge. SS Microwave /
Range Hood. And soon to purchase Clean Steel Dishwasher. I tell you what,
the microwave shows every damn smudge, fingerprint..everything. I don't even
have to tough it, just get close, and fingerprints show up. The stove and
fridge I have only wiped down once since May and that was only because it
seemed like it needed it. It didn't have any appearance of dirt or smudges.
Now the glass cooking surface of the stove is a different story. Very easy
to clean, but must be done very often.
Perhaps if you do have the SS Fridge, it has been coated with something to
maintain cleanliness and some sort of magnetizer. Like I said, mine is the
clean steel...is magnetic....and looks identical to the stainless.

ReRe