DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Radiant Barrier insulation (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/82749-radiant-barrier-insulation.html)

[email protected] December 22nd 04 02:29 PM

Radiant Barrier insulation

Hello,
Has anyone tried Radiant Barrier insulation around the hot water tank?
In looking around the house, I noticed the current fiberglass jacket
has some gaps and appears to not quite fit the unit (it was installed
by previous owners). Would a radiant foil barrier be worth the effort
as a replacement (from what I've seen, probably about $40 or so).
Thank you,
Dave

Joseph Meehan December 22nd 04 04:47 PM

wrote:
Hello,
Has anyone tried Radiant Barrier insulation around the hot water tank?
In looking around the house, I noticed the current fiberglass jacket
has some gaps and appears to not quite fit the unit (it was installed
by previous owners). Would a radiant foil barrier be worth the effort
as a replacement (from what I've seen, probably about $40 or so).
Thank you,
Dave

I don't have a lot of respect for the radiant barrier insulation for
this use. It will help, but I would not expect much.

How much any kind of supplemental insulation on HW tanks is open to
question.

During the winter when you are heating your home, little or nothing is
gained as almost all the heat that you would save, ends up heating your
home. On the there side, in summer that heat must be removed by your A/C.

Most of the cost of most people's hot water is the cost of the water
used, not the heat loss from the HW heater. A tankless heater eliminates
all of this.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

William W. Plummer December 22nd 04 08:49 PM

Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I agree. There is a point of diminishing returns where adding more
insulation in, say your ceiling, won't pay for itself in your life time.

But, a tankless heater will not cure everything. Like the length of her
showers.

Joseph Meehan December 23rd 04 12:33 AM

William W. Plummer wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:

[...]

True, I did not mean to sound like I was recommending the tankless, only
offering it as one alternative that would make a serious dent to standby
losses. Like any choice there are good and bad features.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

[email protected] December 23rd 04 02:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to see if I can retrofit the
insulation jacket...since it wouldn't cost anything and I may just
experiment with/without using it as a control (also factoring cost of
gas, season, etc.).

Have a Happy Holiday!
Dave