DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Frozen shut off valve (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/82626-frozen-shut-off-valve.html)

William W. Plummer December 21st 04 07:35 PM

Frozen shut off valve

I have replaced a shutoff valve several times. I like the globe valves
with a handle that only has to go 90-degrees from full off to full on.
However, on very cold nights they seem to crack and a small leak
results. Is there a special valve for use in freezing environments or
am I just unlucky?

[email protected] December 21st 04 08:27 PM

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:35:09 GMT, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

I have replaced a shutoff valve several times. I like the globe valves
with a handle that only has to go 90-degrees from full off to full on.

I think this is a ball valve you are talking about, but understood.

However, on very cold nights they seem to crack and a small leak
results. Is there a special valve for use in freezing environments or
am I just unlucky?

Where is this valve located? I mean, maybe you should try to not have
the piping and valve exposed to freezing conditions.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Joseph Meehan December 21st 04 09:38 PM

William W. Plummer wrote:
I have replaced a shutoff valve several times. I like the globe
valves with a handle that only has to go 90-degrees from full off to
full on. However, on very cold nights they seem to crack and a small
leak results. Is there a special valve for use in freezing
environments or am I just unlucky?

No plumbing parts handle water well in freezing conditions.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Duane Bozarth December 21st 04 10:00 PM

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

... Is there a special valve for use in freezing environments or
am I just unlucky?

Yes, and no...

There are long-stem valves to keep the seat inside the wall (assuming
this is a through wall spigot)...

Depending on the application, there's probably something else more
suited if it isn't. Post the actual application and undoubtedly get
more specific responses...

Roger Shoaf December 21st 04 10:21 PM

"William W. Plummer" wrote in
message news:NV_xd.689425$mD.683907@attbi_s02...
I have replaced a shutoff valve several times. I like the globe valves
with a handle that only has to go 90-degrees from full off to full on.
However, on very cold nights they seem to crack and a small leak
results. Is there a special valve for use in freezing environments or
am I just unlucky?

You need to insulate the pipe or use a pipe warmer. You might also build a
little dog house around the pipe.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.