ChInKPoInt [No MCSD]

Default Dryer vent flap doesn't close automatically

Got some problem with my dryer vent.. help!! The flap doesn't close
automatically after using the dryer. Mine looks exactly like this one:
https://www.ge.com/appliances/usa/imgs/acc011564.jpg

Here, East coast was -20c degree today when I walked into the basement I
saw frosts on my dryer alumium pipe, I felt there was something wrong .So I
went outside of the house and inspected the vent, and found that the flap
was fully opened!! When I touched it with my hand, it closed as normal and
I couldn't duplicated the problem.... not sure what when wrong. I am
worrying about it will happen again.

Should I add some weight to the flap? say put a screw in it so that it won't
open fully? will that work?? I can't replace the whole thing coz it's
freezing out there.. any suggestions?

C.P.

xrongor

its a simple device, and gravity always works. take a good hard look at it.
something is preventing it from closing. fix it. i suspect a couple drops
of oil and a little lint removal would go a long way here.

adding weight to the flap may cause it not to open at all, potentially
ruining the dryer or catching your house on fire. same with some bogus
screw stop. dont muck with simplicity. just fix it.

randy

"ChInKPoInt [No MCSD]" wrote in message
[...]

Warren Weber

[...]

Have had same problem with this type. Lint gets around the pivot at top of
flapper. Wiggle the flapper and also shake up and down to remove lint. DO
NOT lubricate as this will collect more lint. I changed ours to a plastic
one that has several small louvers. Check a good hardware store or Lowes
or Home depot or Ace hardware. Warren

Camilo

[...]

I've always had trouble with that type of flapper (I also live in a cold
climate - colder than you, but I don't know if that's relevant - except that
we really notice leakage from the dryer vent!). I was never able to cure it
in the long run with weights and/or lubrication or other maintenance. It's
just a flimsy design, and with the light weight aluminum they use,
distortion is easy and any distortion messes up the function.

This fall I changed it to what I would call a "louvered" type - it has three
or four plastic slats that flap shut rather than a single flap. Mine fits
flush to the outside wall without a hood and is like this:

http://plumbing.aubuchonhardware.com...ood-266574.asp

I think you can get them metal and/or with a hood as well, but this flush
mounted plastic one of ours is perfectly fine and functional, much, much
better than the single round flapper type. We haven't had nearly the air
leakage and no sticking with this vent. You'll find them at any hardware or
home store.

In trying to find a picture of this, I found this another kind, which you
might want to check out. http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/ic020718.html