DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Acrylic shower base -- can it be recoated? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/82179-acrylic-shower-base-can-recoated.html)

Tom Miller December 18th 04 08:00 PM

Acrylic shower base -- can it be recoated?

Another poster is asking whether to use an acrylic or a tile shower
base, but I have a question about an already installed acrylic base --
at least I think it must be acrylic.

Can an acrylic base be recoated with some type of gel coat? Like, say,
a fiberglass boat can?

Our shower base is 20+ years old. It's holding up just fine and still
looks OK, but years of cleaning has got to be taking a toll. The glass
stall is fairly new so I wouldn't want to replace the whole thing in a
few years if I can avoid it.

FEngelman December 19th 04 10:41 PM

yes, it's a pain in the a__, but it can be done, the same way you would a
boat....if it were me, and I had to do it, i'd go with an epoxy coating, rather
than a gel coat....