DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Running new cable through or under joists? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/82159-running-new-cable-through-under-joists.html)

toller December 18th 04 04:21 PM

Running new cable through or under joists?

My understanding is that #8nmc can be attached to the bottom of joists, but
#10nmc must run through holes in them. Is that correct?

I need to run two new cables, a 10/3 and a 12/2. If I ran them together,
they would have more mass than a 8/2. Can I attach them to the bottom of
the joists, or is code real specific on the matter?

Thanks.

Doug Miller December 18th 04 07:21 PM

In article , "toller" wrote:
My understanding is that #8nmc can be attached to the bottom of joists, but
#10nmc must run through holes in them. Is that correct?

Partially. 8/3 may be attached to the bottom of joists, but 8/2 may not.

I need to run two new cables, a 10/3 and a 12/2. If I ran them together,
they would have more mass than a 8/2. Can I attach them to the bottom of
the joists, or is code real specific on the matter?

No. Code is "real specific":

"Where the cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements, it
shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than two No. 6 or three No.
8 conductors directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall
either be run through bored holes in joists or on running boards. Where run
parallel to the joists, cable of any size shall be secured to the sides of the
joists in accordance with Section 300-4(d).

Phisherman December 18th 04 09:28 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:21:28 GMT, "toller" wrote:

My understanding is that #8nmc can be attached to the bottom of joists, but
#10nmc must run through holes in them. Is that correct?

I need to run two new cables, a 10/3 and a 12/2. If I ran them together,
they would have more mass than a 8/2. Can I attach them to the bottom of
the joists, or is code real specific on the matter?

Thanks.

You should run them through the joists, with a hole drilled mid-point
where needed. If attached to the bottom of the joists, use metal
conduit.

toller December 19th 04 02:50 AM

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:21:28 GMT, "toller" wrote:

My understanding is that #8nmc can be attached to the bottom of joists,
but
#10nmc must run through holes in them. Is that correct?

I need to run two new cables, a 10/3 and a 12/2. If I ran them together,
they would have more mass than a 8/2. Can I attach them to the bottom of
the joists, or is code real specific on the matter?

Thanks.

You should run them through the joists, with a hole drilled mid-point
where needed. If attached to the bottom of the joists, use metal
conduit.

Why metal rather than plastic?