DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Exterior House Paint (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/82132-exterior-house-paint.html)

[email protected] December 18th 04 11:53 AM

Exterior House Paint

I am once again in the process of having to paint the exterior a couple
of 60+ year old houses. I have used Benjamin Moore ( MorFLO ?) and have
been satisfied but the prices seemed to have skyrocked at the local
dealers to like $32+/gal "contractor price" . I am looking for an
alternative . One local painter suggests Sherwin Williams ( Super Paint
) which is about $ 26/gallon "contractor price" . What else is out in
exterior there which comes close the Benjamin Moore quality but costs a
lot less ? - Thanks

[email protected] December 18th 04 01:24 PM

stick with the old reliable.

Phisherman December 18th 04 03:59 PM

On 18 Dec 2004 03:53:26 -0800, wrote:

I am once again in the process of having to paint the exterior a couple
of 60+ year old houses. I have used Benjamin Moore ( MorFLO ?) and have
been satisfied but the prices seemed to have skyrocked at the local
dealers to like $32+/gal "contractor price" . I am looking for an
alternative . One local painter suggests Sherwin Williams ( Super Paint
) which is about $ 26/gallon "contractor price" . What else is out in
exterior there which comes close the Benjamin Moore quality but costs a
lot less ? - Thanks

Bite the bullet and pay the $32. It's good paint.

SQLit December 18th 04 04:23 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am once again in the process of having to paint the exterior a couple
of 60+ year old houses. I have used Benjamin Moore ( MorFLO ?) and have
been satisfied but the prices seemed to have skyrocked at the local
dealers to like $32+/gal "contractor price" . I am looking for an
alternative . One local painter suggests Sherwin Williams ( Super Paint
) which is about $ 26/gallon "contractor price" . What else is out in
exterior there which comes close the Benjamin Moore quality but costs a
lot less ? - Thanks

My experience with paint, you get what you pay for. If you selling maybe go
with the cheaper paint. If your keeping the homes then your making work for
your self. Something I try not to do.

Duane Bozarth December 18th 04 06:41 PM

On 18 Dec 2004 03:53:26 -0800, wrote:

(I didn't see OP on this server, so this may not thread quite
correctly, sorry...)

... What else is out in
exterior there which comes close the Benjamin Moore quality but costs a
lot less ? - Thanks

Simple...nothing. There's a reason near-equal quality is near-equal
price...

I've just repainted our old barn and, being in a small locale, have very
little local choice...Sherwin-Williams is the only full-line distributor
in town and I have not been pleased at all w/ their paints recently...
The B-M dealer here has essentially quit selling paint and gone into
other areas owing to there being so little profit margin left as
everyone is looking for cheap these days...

I (disgustingly) ended up going to the Home Depot in Garden City and
went with the top-line Behr oil-based primer and latex top coat. We got
three sides painted and the fourth primed
before cold weather caught us...I've been real pleased with the
application of both and covering. We'll see how it holds up. It was
roughly $100/5-ga1 and for the amount I needed (40 g primer/80 g top)
they cut ~20%.

I would have much preferred local but couldn't get either local
distributor to even bid--don't exactly know why, but they seemed to not
think I was serious about purchasing that amount... :( (Although, of
course, I probably wouldn't have bought the S-W, anyway.)