DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Feeling a cold draft (loc (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/82017-feeling-cold-draft-loc.html)

barry martin December 17th 04 01:38 PM

Feeling a cold draft (loc

C_kubieL

C Sitting in my living room while watching TV. I can feel a cold air
C draft move by. I recently put in Celular shades to keep cold from
C comming from the windows. Also put in a new storm door to reduce
C drafts from the front door.
C Is there a good way of targeting where the cold air is from? Also, is
C it possible it would be comming from the under the baseboards?

You'll have to do a little investigating. The draft could be coming
from around the windows (are the older?). We could feel a draft
coming from the outlets in the living room so put an 'outlet
insulator' under the plate == can be purchased in hardware stores.
Is a set of thin foam panels with cutouts for the duplex outlets and
switches.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Pollytheism: n., the belief that God is a parrot.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *

[email protected] December 17th 04 02:35 PM

You'll have to do a little investigating. The draft could be coming
from around the windows (are the older?). We could feel a draft
coming from the outlets in the living room so put an 'outlet
insulator' under the plate == can be purchased in hardware stores.
Is a set of thin foam panels with cutouts for the duplex outlets and
switches.

-

That outlet insulator, is that the same kind of insulator foam pad that
comes with exterior GFCI outlets?

willshak December 17th 04 02:45 PM

On 12/17/2004 9:35 AM US(ET), took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

You'll have to do a little investigating. The draft could be coming
from around the windows (are the older?). We could feel a draft
coming from the outlets in the living room so put an 'outlet
insulator' under the plate == can be purchased in hardware stores.
Is a set of thin foam panels with cutouts for the duplex outlets and
switches.

-

That outlet insulator, is that the same kind of insulator foam pad that
comes with exterior GFCI outlets?

Similar, but a different foam. The interior ones are usually off-white,
while the exterior ones are dark grey.
The exterior ones serve more as a weather gasket, while the interior
ones serve as insulation.