DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How is a "Gasket" Different from a "Washer?" (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/81405-how-%22gasket%22-different-%22washer-%22.html)

[email protected] December 13th 04 11:32 AM

How is a "Gasket" Different from a "Washer?"

Yeah, I know it looks like I have too much time on my hands. I'm
making a list for HD, and I said "washer" when my buddy said "gasket."
I thought before I logged off for the day I'd ask alt.home.repair's
stupid question of the day.

Edwin Pawlowski December 13th 04 01:28 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, I know it looks like I have too much time on my hands. I'm
making a list for HD, and I said "washer" when my buddy said "gasket."
I thought before I logged off for the day I'd ask alt.home.repair's
stupid question of the day.

Gaskets seal things. They are usual shaped to match the surfaces to be
mated, be it a jar, oil pan on an engine, pumps, etc.

Washer are disks with a hole in them. they are used to protect surrounding
surfaces, keep bolt heads or nuts from pulling through a hole, locking nuts
in place. While they may act as a seal at times, that is not the intended
purpose.

dadiOH December 13th 04 01:41 PM

wrote:
Yeah, I know it looks like I have too much time on my hands. I'm
making a list for HD, and I said "washer" when my buddy said "gasket."
I thought before I logged off for the day I'd ask alt.home.repair's
stupid question of the day.

Well, to me, a washer is metal and a gasket isn't.

Various types of washers..."lock" to maintain pressure against a nut and
keep it from unscrewing..."fender" to distribute pressure over a wider
area...et al.

A gasket is compressible and is for evening out surface irregularities
so that a tight seal is accomplished.

YMMV

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

[email protected] December 13th 04 01:43 PM

Great definitions, Ed.
TB

pray4surf December 13th 04 02:19 PM

"So... an oil drain plug washer is a washer or a gasket?

I guess I'm saying that some washers are 'compressible.. I've also heard
the term 'crush washer'...

FWIW

Rick
--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Edwin Pawlowski December 13th 04 02:38 PM

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Well, to me, a washer is metal and a gasket isn't.

Unless, of course, you are using rubber or phenolic washers and brass
gaskets.

Jim Elbrecht December 13th 04 03:20 PM

On 13 Dec 2004 03:32:01 -0800, "
wrote:

Yeah, I know it looks like I have too much time on my hands. I'm
making a list for HD, and I said "washer" when my buddy said "gasket."
I thought before I logged off for the day I'd ask alt.home.repair's
stupid question of the day.

IMO - A gasket creates a seal between 2 surfaces. A washer is a
simple disc with a hole in it.

Faucet washers are also gaskets. By specifying faucet 'washer' rather
than gasket, you identify it as the washer inside the faucet, not some
gasket that might appear someplace else.

Jim

Bob K 207 December 14th 04 06:21 AM

Subject: How is a "Gasket" Different from a "Washer?"
From: "Edwin Pawlowski"
Date: 12/13/2004 5:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time

Washer are disks with a hole in them. they are used to protect surrounding
surfaces, keep bolt heads or nuts from pulling through a hole, locking nuts
in place. While they may act as a seal at times, that is not the intended
purpose.

what about a garden hose washer?

Edwin Pawlowski December 14th 04 11:36 AM

"Bob K 207" wrote in message

Washer are disks with a hole in them. they are used to protect surrounding
surfaces, keep bolt heads or nuts from pulling through a hole, locking
nuts
in place. While they may act as a seal at times, that is not the intended
purpose.

what about a garden hose washer?

Commonly called a washer, shaped like a washer, but it truly is a gasket in
use. As always, there are some exceptions and misnomers in life.

Tom Miller December 15th 04 06:47 PM

On 14 Dec 2004 06:21:21 GMT, (Bob K 207) wrote:

| Subject: How is a "Gasket" Different from a "Washer?"
| From: "Edwin Pawlowski"

| Date: 12/13/2004 5:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time
|

| Washer are disks with a hole in them. they are used to protect surrounding
| surfaces, keep bolt heads or nuts from pulling through a hole, locking nuts
| in place. While they may act as a seal at times, that is not the intended
| purpose.

A washer is a machine that is used to launder clothes.

A gasket is what you blow when the discharge hose from the washer
jumps out of the drain and allows soapy water to flow all over the
laundry room.

Bo Williams December 15th 04 08:30 PM

pray4surf wrote:
"So... an oil drain plug washer is a washer or a gasket?

I guess I'm saying that some washers are 'compressible.. I've also heard
the term 'crush washer'...

A crush washer such as on an automotive oil pan is still a washer. Its
primary purpose is to prolong the life of the threads, not to seal. In
every design I'm familiar with (mostly Honda and GM), the plug would
seal the pan just fine without the crush washer.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/

pray4surf December 16th 04 01:38 AM

"Bo Williams" wrote in message
:
: A crush washer such as on an automotive oil pan is still a washer. Its
: primary purpose is to prolong the life of the threads, not to seal. In
: every design I'm familiar with (mostly Honda and GM), the plug would
: seal the pan just fine without the crush washer.
: --
: Bo Williams -

Good point, Bo...

Rick