Chemqueries

Default Doorbell that you can shut off?

Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can shut
off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like to be
able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to several
hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any
suggestions.
ABC

"Chemqueries" wrote in message
Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can

shut
off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like to

be
able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to

several
hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any
suggestions.

I can't think of anything easier to do. Just wire in a switch at a
convenient location.

A jaw type bear trap put over outside button should deter unwanted
rings. Otherwise just a wire a switch by the door, down by the
breakers, or right next to the ringer unit. It would be even easier
to wire the swicth directly from the 18V transformer, which does not
pose a serious electrical risk. .

Tony Hwang

ABC wrote:
"Chemqueries" wrote in message

Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can

shut

off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like to

be

able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to

several

hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any
suggestions.

I can't think of anything easier to do. Just wire in a switch at a
convenient location.

Hmmm,
I'd install timer programmed to your needs in-line with the bell circuit
by the week days. Or remote control or manual switch(you have to
remember to use this tho when to turn it off or on)
Tony
Joseph Meehan

Chemqueries wrote:
Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I
can shut off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend
mornings, I'd like to be able to deactivate the doorbell or switch
the sound off. I've been to several hardware stores and haven't
found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any suggestions.

After making sure nothing else is running off the transformer, I suggest
using a switch to cut off the 120V feed. You could use a timer type or with
an X-10 system you could have a remote no wire switch in a convenient
location away from the transformer.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Edwin Pawlowski

"JerryD(upstateNY)" wrote in message
Switching off the door bell will just make the people knock on the door.
How do you plan on stopping that ?

Do Not Disturb sign?

My doorbell has not worked in 23 years. If you have to ring the bell to
find me I probably don't want to see you anyway. If you are a friend, you
know what to do.

HorneTD

Chemqueries wrote:
Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can shut
off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like to be
able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to several
hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any
suggestions.

May I suggest that you take a completely different tack. My father; God
rest his soul; worked three jobs to support eight children and sleeping
in on Sunday morning was one of his few luxuries of life. When I found
him working away in the little crawl space over the front porch on a
Saturday evening I failed to connect it to the previous Sunday's visit
by Proselytizers for one of the Saturday sabbath groups with an
evangelical approach to heathen slothfulness on Sunday mornings. Our
house being a ranch which my father had built with his own hands my
bedroom window had the best view of the front porch. Sunday morning at
seven my father and brother and I were watching the walk from a half
inch gap under the nearly drawn shade in the room I shared with my
brother. My father did not invite my sisters or my mom to this event.
As he apparently expected the missionaries came up the walk and pushed
the doorbell. There followed a whooshing sound and the four sprinkler
heads my father had installed in the porch roof the night before began
discharging nearly forty gallons of water of water per minute onto their
pious forms. We had no trouble with them after that.
--
Tom H
Tony Hwang

HorneTD wrote:
Chemqueries wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Good thing, your dad did not get sued for that. You Aamericans love to
sue, right? LOL.
Tony
Chemqueries

From: HorneTD

May I suggest that you take a completely different tack. My father; God rest

his soul; worked three jobs to support eight children and sleeping in on
Sunday morning was one of his few luxuries of life.
the missionaries came up the walk and pushedthe doorbell. There followed a

whooshing sound and the four sprinkler
heads my father had installed in the porch roof the night before began
discharging nearly forty gallons of water of water per minute onto theirpious

forms. We had no trouble with them after that.

Thanks for that wonderful story. What a terrific solution to the problem. I'll
bet the proselytizers didn't bother anyone else that morning either!

Joseph Meehan

From: "Joseph Meehan"
After making sure nothing else is running off the transformer, I
suggest using a switch to cut off the 120V feed. You could use a
timer type or with an X-10 system you could have a remote no wire
switch in a convenient location away from the transformer

Thanks for your help. Sorry for my ignorance, but can you tell me
what an "X-10 system" is.

It is available at Radio shack and smarthome.com as well as many other
places. It sends a signal though your house wiring to control switches and
other devices from other places in your home. It can make automation a lot
easier than hard wiring would be.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

rck

I'd like to see some sort of device that would disable the doorbell for
thirty seconds after the button was pressed the first time. I don't know why
people think I'll get to the door faster if they ring the bell a dozen times
instead of once.

Bob

A jaw type bear trap put over outside button should deter unwanted
rings. Otherwise just a wire a switch by the door, down by the
breakers, or right next to the ringer unit. It would be even easier
to wire the swicth directly from the 18V transformer, which does not
pose a serious electrical risk. .

Oh, now I have to go buy a wolf-trap, weld it open, and nail it up
over my doorbell with a "no soliciting" sign...

Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

rck wrote:
I'd like to see some sort of device that would disable the doorbell for
thirty seconds after the button was pressed the first time. I don't know why
people think I'll get to the door faster if they ring the bell a dozen times
instead of once.

Bob

All you need is a timing relay of the appropriate voltage that will open
the circuit on application of power and will not make it available to
the button again for whatever interval you set.
--
Tom H
rck

wrote in message news:1Bpvd.7284$xa6.5446@trnddc09...
rck wrote:
I'd like to see some sort of device that would disable the doorbell for
thirty seconds after the button was pressed the first time. I don't know
why people think I'll get to the door faster if they ring the bell a
dozen times instead of once.

Bob

All you need is a timing relay of the appropriate voltage that will open
the circuit on application of power and will not make it available to the
button again for whatever interval you set.
--
Tom H

Time delay relays can be expensive. For example a 24AG-KRP11 Interval On
relay is almost $80. I suppose I could use an IC to drive an inexpensive
relay but then I'd have to build a power supply. How many milliamps are
available from a doorbell transformer?

Bob

Dan

My doorbell has not worked in 23 years. If you have to ring the bell to
find me I probably don't want to see you anyway. If you are a

friend, you
know what to do.

Love that! Another suggestion: a NO SOLICITING sign. "NO I DO NOT want
FREE COPY of THE WATCHTOWER!!!" ;-) Take it from me, the irritating
idiots will actually TURN AROUND & LEAVE when the see it.

Seriously, if KNOCKING is less of a concern, go to radio shack (probably
even Home Depot) and get a single pole single throw toggle switch.
Drill a hole in the side of the door bell cover & install the switch.
Wire it in series with one of the door bell wires (doesn't matter which,
but if you have both front & back door bells, make sure it's the door
where you expect annoyance, probably the front). Just take a wire off
the terminal on the bell, solder it to the switch, then run a wire from
the other switch terminal to where that 1st wire was attached. Don't
worry; we're talking 14 volts or so here, you're not going to
electrocute anyone. Just flip it OFF before retiring on the weekend ;-)

Dan

JennP

"Chemqueries" wrote in message
Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can

shut
off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like to

be
able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to

several
hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any
suggestions.

I don't know, but what a fabulous idea! I'd love something like that to
prevent my barking dog from waking up the kids at naptime. The doorbell is
the only thing that makes her bark.

JennP.

Jeff Prevett

This is quite simple to do. You can even keep your existing doorbell. Go
buy a single toggle single throw switch. If you have a plastic case (the
'cheap' type that builders put into houses), you can drill a hole in it and
put the switch in the case. You have two ways to electrically connect the
switch. You can interupt the power supply or the switch. Personally, I
would interput the power supply to the bell. Find the two wires that
connect the doorbell to the transformer disconnect the positive one
(probably the red one if red and green are the two wire colours). Connect
one side of the switch to the wire that you disconnected and connect the
other side of the switch to the terminal on the bell. It is good pratice to
interput the +ve line, but since we're working with very low DC voltage it
really doesn't matter. If the power from the transformer goes to the
doorbell button, you have to connect it like the later case. Simply put the
switch in as in the former case.

Here is a little ASCII schematic. It's the same schematic for both setups,
except in the second setup, the SPDT-switch is between the doorbell button
and the doorbell:

+ ---------------------|SPDT-switch|-----------

Doorbell button

12-24VDC |
Doorbell

NOTE: by doing this, if you have a light on the pushbutton (outside), it
will go off when you turn off the switch.

Give me a shout if you need a better picture or this doesn't make sense (I'm
an electrical engineering student -3rd year, so this is pretty basic stuff
to me and I sometimes forget that it isn't to others).

Jeff

"JennP" wrote in message

"Chemqueries" wrote in message
Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can

shut
off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like

be
able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to

several
hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any
suggestions.

I don't know, but what a fabulous idea! I'd love something like that to
prevent my barking dog from waking up the kids at naptime. The doorbell is
the only thing that makes her bark.

JennP.

Jeff Wisnia

Jeff Prevett wrote:

[...]

If your doorbell is located where you can easily reach up and touch it
I'd suggest that an good spot you to mount a miniature toggle switch
would be right through a hole drilled in the doorbell's housing. That'd
eliminate the need to run any additional wires.

One like this from Radio Shack should do the job:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT LG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F006&product%5Fid=275%2D614

HTH,

(Another) Jeff

"JennP" wrote in message

"Chemqueries" wrote in message

Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can

shut

off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like

be

able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to

several

hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any
suggestions.

I don't know, but what a fabulous idea! I'd love something like that to
prevent my barking dog from waking up the kids at naptime. The doorbell is
the only thing that makes her bark.

JennP.

MUADIB®

Did anyone other than me hear that the "X-10" bunch claimed bankruptcy
recently?.............About two months ago or so. I swear
It!................Maybe I should have tken more time and listened
more carefully, they may have sold also.............but I know I heard
a newscasrt one morning saying something about their Bankruptcy.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/3097651

Turns out I wasn;t just hearing things.

After making sure nothing else is running off the transformer, I suggest
using a switch to cut off the 120V feed. You could use a timer type or with
an X-10 system you could have a remote no wire switch in a convenient
location away from the transformer.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

Nick Hull

"Chemqueries" wrote in message
Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that I can
shut
off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd like to
be
able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off. I've been to
several
hardware stores and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks for any
suggestions.

How about stuffing tissue into the bell to quiet it?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Travis Jordan

"Chemqueries" wrote in message
Do any of you know whether there is such a thing as a doorbell that
I can shut
off and on from the inside of the house? On weekend mornings, I'd
like to be
able to deactivate the doorbell or switch the sound off.

1) Ask you neighbors not to ring your doorbell on the weekends.
2) Post a "No Solicitation" sign on your front steps.