DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fluorescent light noise in radio (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/80992-fluorescent-light-noise-radio.html)

dale.j. December 11th 04 04:07 PM

fluorescent light noise in radio

If a fluorescent light is creating a lot of noise in the radio does this
mean it's going bad? Could it cause a fire in that condition?

Thanks
Dale

--
Email:

William W. Plummer December 11th 04 04:18 PM

dale.j. wrote:

If a fluorescent light is creating a lot of noise in the radio does this
mean it's going bad? Could it cause a fire in that condition?

Increased radio noise doesn't indicate the light is going bad.
Fluorescent lights, including the energy-saving "bulbs", see to produce
a lot of noise. In fact it drowns out some local radio stations.

SQLit December 11th 04 05:03 PM

"dale.j. " wrote in message
If a fluorescent light is creating a lot of noise in the radio does this
mean it's going bad? Could it cause a fire in that condition?

Thanks
Dale

--
Email:

I was installing a bunch of CF's (thousands) and found out that they
produced 100% harmonics. A few hundred would not have been a problem on that
electrical system. We stopped the order and got CF's that were a lot lower
in harmonic content.

Tony Hwang December 11th 04 05:43 PM

dale.j. wrote:
If a fluorescent light is creating a lot of noise in the radio does this
mean it's going bad? Could it cause a fire in that condition?

Thanks
Dale

Hi,
No. That is typical of those bulbs. AM is useless. FM is less noisy.
If signal is strong, it'd be OK.
Tony

Phisherman December 11th 04 06:19 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:07:45 GMT, "dale.j. "
wrote:

If a fluorescent light is creating a lot of noise in the radio does this
mean it's going bad? Could it cause a fire in that condition?

Thanks
Dale

No. Magnetic or electrical fields interfere with AM radio. Make sure
the lamp is UL approved. It is possible that any electrical item
could cause a fire. Use common sense and check your smoke detectors.

m Ransley December 11th 04 07:48 PM

Flourescents induce noise in electronics, you will never see a
flourescent lamp in a recording studio . My radio and Tv are the same,
noise from flourescent lights affects them.