DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Portable compressors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/80939-portable-compressors.html)

DJA December 10th 04 06:11 PM

Portable compressors

I want to get one of the new small wall mount/portable compressors.
Sears and CH both make oil-free and oil-lubricated models for about the
same money ($100). This will only be used for occasional brad/nailer,
tire inflation, air nozzle, etc.

What should I look for? Is oil-lube more durable than oil-free?

Thanks.

Sears:
http://tinyurl.com/6agnn
http://tinyurl.com/5su96

CH Ironforce:
http://tinyurl.com/7y7yu

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

William Deans December 10th 04 06:40 PM

Greetings,

I purchased an oil-free and it froze up on me after less than two years of
use.
I do not know if this is typical but it was my experience.

Hope this helps,
William

PS: Is there any way to oil an oil-free compressor? I still have it.

Dan December 10th 04 06:55 PM

I got this one at harbor freight for the same occasional use as you've
mentioned (I have a full size one in the garage, but it's nice to have
one you can tote around the house for nailing up trim, etc). Oil type,
4 gallon tank, 125 psi max. Haven't used it too much so far, but it
seems to run my nailer, 1/2" impact wrench, air ratchet etc just fine.
I did add a regulator to it (I had one, but you can get one at HF to add
for a few bucks). For $90 it's hard to go wrong.

Dan

Kyle Boatright December 10th 04 11:01 PM

"William Deans" wrote in message
news:1102703657.9e7e144cff0b68548e288c304b2fe959@t eranews...
Greetings,

I purchased an oil-free and it froze up on me after less than two years of
use.
I do not know if this is typical but it was my experience.

Hope this helps,
William

I used an oil free on a 6 year aircraft construction project. I drilled
something like 14,000 holes, deburred and/or countersunk 56,000 hole sides
(at least), used a cut-off tool a bunch, and primed and painted every piece
of the aircraft. In addition, I used the same compressor for a power nailer
while building a very detailed 450' privacy fence and on various other
projects. After 10 years, the compressor is still running fine.

I'm sure lots of variables impact the quality and durability of a
compressor. The big difference (IMO) between oiled and oil-less compressors
is the noise. Oil-less compressors are LOUD, but you can either build an
enclosure, or deal with the noise if it is an occasional use tool.

KB

R.Smyth December 11th 04 03:30 AM

I have had a Campbell Hausfield unit for about 15 years and it still works
fine. It doesn't get a lot of use but it sits unused in the basement and
sometimes that can be just as bad as not using a tool. I use it for
inflation of tires and air mattresses, maintaining my pressure tank, blowing
out pipes and hoses, spray painting, blowing out dust and whatever. It's a
handy tool to have. I'm not sure if it is oil free or not. But it has worked
well with essentially no TLC.
ds

MG December 11th 04 02:28 PM

"DJA" wrote in message
I want to get one of the new small wall mount/portable compressors. Sears
and CH both make oil-free and oil-lubricated models for about the same
money ($100). This will only be used for occasional brad/nailer, tire
inflation, air nozzle, etc.

What should I look for? Is oil-lube more durable than oil-free?

Thanks.

Sears:
http://tinyurl.com/6agnn
http://tinyurl.com/5su96

CH Ironforce:
http://tinyurl.com/7y7yu

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

I bought an oiless-tankless $100 job for the same light occasional use.
Without the tank, there is no accumulation so the peak output is severely
limited.
I bought a small tank for about $25 + tube + Gauge + fittings with
considerable improvment but still a Micky-Mouse sorry arrangement.

In retrospect I should have bought a oiled portable unit with tank for about
$250.
Repeatedly learning my lesson to buy quality tools or at least one grade
above the lowest.

MG

davefr December 11th 04 02:38 PM

Get an oil lube unit. (they last longer and are quieter then direct
drive).

Hitachi makes a good one.

DJA December 13th 04 03:32 PM

on 12/11/2004 9:28 AM MG said the following:
"DJA" wrote in message

[...]

Yep. I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. I end up
buying twice because I tried to save a buck the first time.

DJA December 13th 04 04:29 PM

on 12/10/2004 1:55 PM Dan said the following:
I got this one at harbor freight for the same occasional use as you've
mentioned (I have a full size one in the garage, but it's nice to have
one you can tote around the house for nailing up trim, etc). Oil type,
4 gallon tank, 125 psi max. Haven't used it too much so far, but it
seems to run my nailer, 1/2" impact wrench, air ratchet etc just fine. I
did add a regulator to it (I had one, but you can get one at HF to add
for a few bucks). For $90 it's hard to go wrong.

Dan

Dan, do you know how many amps that unit draws?

Dan December 13th 04 05:27 PM

I looked at the unit & original box, to my surprise it doesn't say.
Can't find the booklet that came w/it. There's a formula for
calculating watts based on HP rating (2) divide watts by rated volts
(115) to get current, I don't know what it is off the top of my head.
Email HF, they could probably tell you. I know I have not had any
trouble running it on 15-20 amp household outlets. Box says it weighs
51#, if that's of importance. I think it's a nice unit, seems well made
enough. Chinese, as most if not all would be in this price range.

Dan