Jeff Guay

Default ideas for nut/bolt storage

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jeff Guay" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these
things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

When the kids were small I saved the baby food jars. Still use them today.
At the time I worked in a company with a sheet metal shop so I had some 16
gauge shelves made to hold them; sort of a "U" shame but with the front leg
shorter. The shelves are mounted on a plywood board.

ameijers

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

"Jeff Guay" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these
things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your

nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

When the kids were small I saved the baby food jars. Still use them today.
At the time I worked in a company with a sheet metal shop so I had some 16
gauge shelves made to hold them; sort of a "U" shame but with the front

leg
shorter. The shelves are mounted on a plywood board.

Glass jars in a shop area are a bad idea. One will get broken,
eventually. Aside from trying to get a replacement that matches, the little
glass shards will keep popping up when and where you least expect them. (Or
does baby food come in plastic now?) I find plastic peanut butter jars work
well- soak the labels and PB reside off, and they are easy to see through,
and hold a lot. For small-quantity items, buy one of the ubiquitous blue or
gray plastic-box things with clear plastic drawers at the big-box or
discount store. Yes, they are junk, but they are cheap.

aem sends....

I bought a bunch of plastic freezer boxes. ( pint size )
Built a wall shelf unit to hold about 32 boxes.

They're cheap, tough, just the right size for a goodly amount of
screws, nails, etc. etc

Use indelible marker to mark contents.....

..

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:12:28 -0500, "Jeff Guay"
wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

rj
Cooper

"Jeff Guay" wrote
Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these

things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

This isn't an original thought, but I use Flambeau products. Cheap &
portable if you need portable storage. I use them because their one
manufacturer is about 20 miles from me, they have an outlet/discount store
on the manufacturer site which is open to the public.
http://www.flambeau.com/hardware/har...talog_2001.pdf

ge

wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

I just keep them in a big can; then, I go to the hardware store when I
need one. Kind of like cutting glass: first, I find a piece in the
barn that's about the right size; then, I break it; then, I go to the
hardware store.

George

HL

Egg cartons

Roger

" I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these
things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?

Container Store, Get Organized, and many hardware stores have clear plastic
drawers about 2x3 inches by 6 deep, that fit into a plastic shelf system
with several dozen drawers per set. Very handy, cheap, dust resistant, and
no broken bottles nor unscrewing lids.

mike60510

Plano makes some great products for storing items like that. Here is their web site

http://www.planomolding.com/
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

"Jeff Guay" wrote in message

[...]

If you're afraid of broken glass you must live in constant terror. The
baby food jar thing is a good idea, only I have the lids screwed to the
underside of a shelf, which means that you can screw the container back
onto the lid and the containers hang in a neat, orderly row right at eye
level. Same jars for twenty years or so. Because the jars seal up pretty
well, it does a good job of protecting the contents from corrosion.

DanG

I, too, used the jars for years. Asked one of the young bucks at
work to save me some jars. He brought in a whole case.

Can't use them, the lids don't screw on like the old ones.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Jeff Guay" wrote in message

[...]

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

ameijers wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
gy.com...

[...]

Such is progress. I guess that tells you how long it's been since I've
bought baby food.
MG

wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these
things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

A handful of rare earth magnets, a nice big sheet of tin space magnets out
behind the tin screw it to the wall and you have nuts and bolts storage
wall.g

Finally an idea on how to use the tiny magnet I saved from the discarded
heads of the Sonic toothbrush. I have a hadful, they are eceptionally
powerful and have not found any use for it.

Alternate solution needed for Stainless Steel and brass hardware or aluminum
small parts.

MG

John Hines

"Jeff Guay" wrote:

I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?

A paint roller tray. Makes sorting though all the misc stuff easy.

HandsOn

A variation on this is to use a kitchen knife magnet bar, mounted
on the underside of whatever horizontal surface suits you. Then
you just stick the jar on by its lid. I've seen bars for sale up
to 24" long.

Price-to-number-of-jar ratio is still not so favorable, though,
but hey, it's my first post!

davefr

If you want to get serious about storage and have an available 36" X
18" footprint of floor space, then get an industrial shelving unit.

Make sure it's heavy duty and has about 10 -12 shelves. Space the
lower 8-10 shelves about 6" apart. Space the upper shelves about 12"
apart.

Now buy a case of cardboard bin boxes and a case of dividers.

Put it all together and you should have about 100 pull out bins with
each one having seperate compartments. It'll store a lifetime supply
of small hardware, plumbing, electrical parts, spray paint, car parts,
etc and everything will be easy to find.

Shelving units aren't that expensive if you shop around. Find a
supplier that sells used warehouse/industrial supplies.

wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

Bubba

wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

Or you can just do this:
Gather up all those old nick nack bolts, nuts, screws, washers, pins,
etc. Now bring the garbage can near and throw all that old **** away.
Next time you do a project go out and get new nuts and bolts. When you
are finished with the project, throw away all the extra new nuts and
bolts. Do NOT keep more junk. Im sure you have enough now.
Bubba
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bubba" wrote in message
Or you can just do this:
Gather up all those old nick nack bolts, nuts, screws, washers, pins,
etc. Now bring the garbage can near and throw all that old **** away.
Next time you do a project go out and get new nuts and bolts. When you
are finished with the project, throw away all the extra new nuts and
bolts. Do NOT keep more junk. Im sure you have enough now.
Bubba

And the following week, usually on a night after the stores are closed, you
break something and need that odd sized bolt you tossed. My collection of
saved (but sorted or otherwise reasonably neatly stored) old stuff saved my
ass a couple of times.

JD

Great idea. Around here I buy my eggs in clear cartons.
Thanks for the tip

"HL" wrote in message
Egg cartons

GaryH

I just throw them in coffee cans. Yea, I have to look through a lot of cans
when I need something but it is rare that I need to and I don't have to take
up a lot of space that is required to sort them out properly.

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Jeff Guay" wrote:

I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?

A paint roller tray. Makes sorting though all the misc stuff easy.

davefr

If I need to do some spray painting I don't need to run to the store.
If I decide to change oil, I can grap an oil filter and oil that I
bought on sale.
If a pipe breaks, I can make a repair without hunting down parts.
If I need some tape or a tie wrap I can find one in less then 5
seconds.
If a hose is leaking, I can dig out a hose clamp and/or washer without
leaving the house.

I think you get the idea.

My storage unit has been invaluable and I'm not throwing away my junk
when I can organize, store, and use it.

wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

Or you can just do this:
Gather up all those old nick nack bolts, nuts, screws, washers, pins,
etc. Now bring the garbage can near and throw all that old **** away.
Next time you do a project go out and get new nuts and bolts. When you
are finished with the project, throw away all the extra new nuts and
bolts. Do NOT keep more junk. Im sure you have enough now.
Bubba

willshak

On 12/5/2004 7:16 PM US(ET), GaryH took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I just throw them in coffee cans. Yea, I have to look through a lot of cans
when I need something but it is rare that I need to and I don't have to take
up a lot of space that is required to sort them out properly.

I keep all my extra screws, bolts, nuts, and fasteners all mixed up in a
large 4 pound cookie tin. About every hundred years, I sort them into
separate containers. The hundred years is not up yet.

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .

"Jeff Guay" wrote:

I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?

A paint roller tray. Makes sorting though all the misc stuff easy.

John Hines

"GaryH" wrote:

I just throw them in coffee cans. Yea, I have to look through a lot of cans
when I need something but it is rare that I need to and I don't have to take
up a lot of space that is required to sort them out properly.

One can empty a can into the paint roller pan, sort through the stuff
till you find something, then dump the stuff back into the coffee can.

And one still has the pan for painting when needed.

Not being a coffee drinker limits my options. G
HL

"JD" wrote in message news:8QMsd.1147$Zo.441@lakeread08...
Great idea. Around here I buy my eggs in clear cartons.
Thanks for the tip

Glad I could help!

Bubba

wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?
Thanks,
Jeff

Or you can just do this:
Gather up all those old nick nack bolts, nuts, screws, washers, pins,
etc. Now bring the garbage can near and throw all that old **** away.
Next time you do a project go out and get new nuts and bolts. When you
are finished with the project, throw away all the extra new nuts and
bolts. Do NOT keep more junk. Im sure you have enough now.
Bubba

You must have lots of money. Could I borrow (I mean have) some?

Lets just say Im not poor. My time is valuable. I dont have time to
sort through 10 - 4lb coffe cans looking for that one special thumb
tack or that one 1-5/8 long counter sunk phillips head wood screw. I
dont have a weekend to spare to make a 40+ row of baby jars hanging
from something in my basement and then spending all that time to sort
all that **** in all those damn jars. Id much rather spend my time
golfing, walking, riding bikes, coaching, doing things with my kids
and family. Screws, nuts and bolts are not on the tops of my list.
Bubba

Jeff Cochran

wrote:

I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?

Ace Hardware. Four blocks away and easy to find what I need, I toss
all the rest out.

Jeff
davefr

But it sounds like you do like to forgo golf, walking, etc and spend
hours of time and gas going to hardware stores hunting down small
hardware items that you previously threw away.

wrote:

[...]

Duane Bozarth

HL wrote:

Egg cartons

Ostrich eggs?
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

I'm trying to organize my garage. My tool box is full of screws, bolts
nails, etc. I would like to find some neat storage system for these things.
I'm sure some of you have some really creative ways to store all your nuts
and bolts. So what do you use for workshop storage?

Ace Hardware. Four blocks away and easy to find what I need, I toss
all the rest out.

Send the overage to me, I'll save it...

It's 5+ miles to town, Ace is EXPENSIVE, plus all the rest of the
hassle of not just going to the shop and getting what's needed. Then,
if the supply is low, put it on "the list" and replenish next time are
in town...

Duane Bozarth

Jeff Guay wrote:

.... So what do you use for workshop storage?

Bought about 50 bread loaf baking pans from the bakery when they updated
their ovens years ago...nice, four one-pound loaf trays with a frame
around the outside to keep them together. Built several sets of
shelving racks to hold them. Could do something very similar with
either shop-built drawers or either cardboard or plastic bins...

Also keep a commercial assortment rack of machine bolts in both english
and metric sizes --these came with wall-hung storage units of their own.
BGBevill

HL wrote:

Egg cartons

Ostrich eggs?

Weighing in late, but some years back one of my kids made me a nut/bolt holder
that has worked well for me. It is baby food tops screwed to a round piece of
plywood. I put one screw in the middle of the plywood and mounted it under a
shelf in my shop. You put nuts/bolts in the jars and then screw them to the
tops mounted on the plywood. It works pretty good and has for years. Just an
idea.

Bobby
ThePetPage

Weighing in late, but some years back one of my kids made me a nut/bolt
holder
that has worked well for me. It is baby food tops screwed to a round piece
of
plywood. I put one screw in the middle of the plywood and mounted it under a
shelf in my shop. You put nuts/bolts in the jars and then screw them to the
tops mounted on the plywood. It works pretty good and has for years. Just
an
idea.

My "babies" are gone, but I use 18oz peanut butter plastic jars