New Question

Default Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills

Where can we purchase a third party electricity meter to verify the accuracy
of monthly electricity bills? Can such monitoring be setup to monitor on a
per room or per electrical outlet basis?

Greg

I got mine from Hialeah meter, about $40 but they had a bunch of used ones they
had refurbed. (set to zero)
New Question

"Greg" wrote in message
I got mine from Hialeah meter, about $40 but they had a bunch of used ones

they
had refurbed. (set to zero)

Did you ever see any differences in monthly billings?

m Ransley

Do your own energy audit a Kill A Watt meter records usage of pluged in
devices. A good clamp on amp meter can check wired units and detect
shorts to ground, learn what uses what then you can see what to replace

Greg

Did you ever see any differences in monthly billings?

I only used it to see what my spa was costing me and stuff like that.

David Efflandt

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:58:59 -0600, m Ransley wrote:
Do your own energy audit a Kill A Watt meter records usage of pluged in
devices. A good clamp on amp meter can check wired units and detect
shorts to ground, learn what uses what then you can see what to replace

Radio Shack used to sell "Kill A Watt" meters, but I got the last one my
local store had. Website for manufacturer is www.p3international.com

It is limited to 125 VAC, 15 amp and displays volts, amps, watts, VA, Hz,
powerfactor, and kWh. But it loses its kWh memory if power goes out (or
unplugged).
Beachcomber

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:52:09 +0000 (UTC), (David
Efflandt) wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:58:59 -0600, m Ransley wrote:
Do your own energy audit a Kill A Watt meter records usage of pluged in
devices. A good clamp on amp meter can check wired units and detect
shorts to ground, learn what uses what then you can see what to replace

Radio Shack used to sell "Kill A Watt" meters, but I got the last one my
local store had. Website for manufacturer is
www.p3international.com

It is limited to 125 VAC, 15 amp and displays volts, amps, watts, VA, Hz,
powerfactor, and kWh. But it loses its kWh memory if power goes out (or
unplugged).

If you think your main meter is inaccurate, by all means contact your
power company. More than likely they have a whole department of
experts whose job it is to do meter calibrations. Even though the
utility loves it when you use their power, they have an interest in
the meter being accurate as well.

It is unlikely that the consumer grade plug-in watt hour meters that
are becoming available now are going to be more accurate then a built
in residential electric meter especially when connected to modern
TV's, computers, etc. which are completely non-linear. These plug ins
are good for an estimate only. Precise (laboratory grade)
measurements require very expensive equipment.

Beachcomber

Electricity Meter Scott UK diy 13 August 4th 04 07:55 PM
Moving electricity meter, cutout and consumer unit nospam UK diy 2 July 26th 04 09:06 PM