DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Adding new circuit breaker, no ground posts (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/78051-adding-new-circuit-breaker-no-ground-posts.html)

George November 22nd 04 03:11 AM

Adding new circuit breaker, no ground posts

My electrical box has 4 spaces open for circuit breakers and I am
adding a new 20amp circuit for a basement outlet and light for my
computer. I have the permit and are working on the rough in. The
service is 200 amp and the house is 10 years old.
But when I look at the ground posts there are none open. I don't know
if some CBs use more than one or what or why they are all used
especially when there are 4 circuit breaker slots open. Can I double
up ground wires in the ground post holes? It looks like the ground
post has a slot the wire goes in and you tighten a screw to secure the
ground wire. The hole is big enough to put two in there but I want to
know if that is OK and legit. If not what are my choices. I really
don't want to add a new breaker box for one new circuit. Thanks for
any help!!!

Sheila

RBM November 22nd 04 04:06 AM

If this is the main circuit breaker panel and not a sub panel, you can
double up on the ground (bare) wires, but not the neutral (white) wires. You
can also buy another grounding block and add it to the panel
om...