John Hines

Uriah Heep wrote:

I need advice on running circuit for portable 240 v heater for an
attached greenhouse for freeze protection. The heater is rated at 240
v 4800 watts and manufacturer suggest 30 amp fuse. heater has a 6
foot cord as follows
p136-49 msha 12 awg 3/c 300 V ul and the Plug is a Nema 6-15 or 6-30
250v. I have installed standard 120 volt circuits special items such
as to frig, computer gear, and extensive home a\v system. I have
never installed 240 v circuit.

A 30amp breaker and 10 gauge wire would meet the MFG recommendation.

4800watts divided by 240 volts = 20 amp actual draw, and you don't want
to run a circuit at 100% load (80% or less is code), so a 30 amp circuit
is the correct one to use.

m Ransley

Growin POT im theres Greens Houses,,,

Eric Tonks

That would be 2 30a ganged breakers.

"Uriah Heep" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:50:12 -0600, John Hines
wrote:

Uriah Heep wrote:

I need advice on running circuit for portable 240 v heater for an
attached greenhouse for freeze protection. The heater is rated at 240
v 4800 watts and manufacturer suggest 30 amp fuse. heater has a 6
foot cord as follows
p136-49 msha 12 awg 3/c 300 V ul and the Plug is a Nema 6-15 or 6-30
250v. I have installed standard 120 volt circuits special items such
as to frig, computer gear, and extensive home a\v system. I have
never installed 240 v circuit.

A 30amp breaker and 10 gauge wire would meet the MFG recommendation.

4800watts divided by 240 volts = 20 amp actual draw, and you don't want
to run a circuit at 100% load (80% or less is code), so a 30 amp circuit
is the correct one to use.

Would 2 15s that are ganged be what you mean?

John Hines

wrote:

Uriah Heep wrote:

I need advice on running circuit for portable 240 v heater for an
attached greenhouse for freeze protection. The heater is rated at 240
v 4800 watts and manufacturer suggest 30 amp fuse. heater has a 6
foot cord as follows
p136-49 msha 12 awg 3/c 300 V ul and the Plug is a Nema 6-15 or 6-30
250v. I have installed standard 120 volt circuits special items such
as to frig, computer gear, and extensive home a\v system. I have
never installed 240 v circuit.

A 30amp breaker and 10 gauge wire would meet the MFG recommendation.

4800watts divided by 240 volts = 20 amp actual draw, and you don't want
to run a circuit at 100% load (80% or less is code), so a 30 amp circuit
is the correct one to use.

Would 2 15s that are ganged be what you mean?

2 30 amp breakers that are ganged is what you need.
Uriah Heep

Default help needed 240v greenhouse circuit

I need advice on running circuit for portable 240 v heater for an
attached greenhouse for freeze protection. The heater is rated at 240
v 4800 watts and manufacturer suggest 30 amp fuse. heater has a 6
foot cord as follows
p136-49 msha 12 awg 3/c 300 V ul and the Plug is a Nema 6-15 or 6-30
250v. I have installed standard 120 volt circuits special items such
as to frig, computer gear, and extensive home a\v system. I have
never installed 240 v circuit.

The 250 amp circuit breaker box has 5 open slots. I will be running
the circuit through 1 2x4 stud and single brick wall. (about 7 ft.)

The wires will be in a ruberized flex metal conduit.

Please suggest wire gage and breakers to use any positive advice would
be welcome.

stan