wideglide01

Default HELP! Need question answered on 220v microwave

Hello,

I have an interesting situation I'm hoping an electrcian/electricial
expert in this newsgroup may help answer.

I have an 30 year old 220v range with an attached upper
(second smaller ) oven.

It's on it's last legs and we're in the process of purchasing a new
oven (also obviously 220v) and a separate microwave/oven to mount
above it.

My question is, the existing oven has a 220v line running to it and
now I'll obviously have to get an electrician to install another plug
for the microwave.

Will the electrician have to run a second 220v line for the microwave
or will he/she be able to just put in an outlet from the existing line
to handle both appliances? Obviously, putting in an outlet with two
plugs would be cheaper but I'm not sure that's legal/safe to do or
will they have to run a completely different 220v line to the breaker
box?

The amp rating for the new oven is 40amps and the microwave is
30 amps. The existing breaker is a 50 amp breaker so I would think
at a minimum, the breaker would have to be replaced with a higher
rating.

This *sounds* to me like it would a separate line would need
to be run and an additional breaker be installed for the microwave.

Am I correct? The kitchen is located directly above the (unfinished)
basement where the breaker box is located (and the line is run inside
an outside wall). I would *think* that even if a separate line needs
to be run, it wouldn't be that difficult however I'm getting scary
thoughts that this could end up being a very expensive venture to
run the second line however, my knowledge of "Mr. 220v Electricity" is
limited.

Any suggestions/comments is greatly appreciated. I just want to
get a ballpark idea of what I may be getting myself into before I
order this setup.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Unknown
Remove "die spammers" to email
SQLit

"wideglide01" wrote in message

[...]

Most microwaves for residential are 120v unless your buying foreign made.
Seems strange to me that your microwave draws almost as much as the oven..
Hummmm maybe more than an microwave?
Electrical connection for the new microwave if as you described should be an
outlet and maybe an breaker change out.
Electrical connection for oven will probably need an new run as the new
ovens require and neutral and ground conductor. (4 wires).
Check with the manufacture/ local authority to see what is required.

HaHaHa

From: "SQLit"

"wideglide01" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Not the old style microwave/range combination units popular in the late 80's.
They were one unit, as tall as a refrigerator.

Those older units utilized the 40/50a 220v for everything.

They're no longer common, probably not made anymore as a critical defect in one
component would require either a house call from an authorized dealer/repairman
or junk the whole kit and kaboddle.

Seems strange to me that your microwave draws almost as much as the oven..
Hummmm maybe more than an microwave?
Electrical connection for the new microwave if as you described should be an
outlet and maybe an breaker change out.
Electrical connection for oven will probably need an new run as the new
ovens require and neutral and ground conductor. (4 wires).
Check with the manufacture/ local authority to see what is required.

I think the OP is simply converting from an all-in-one appliance containing a
microwave on top, and a standard convection oven/4 burner cooktop on the
bottom.

Replacing with 2004 unit will require only running a new 20a 120v line and
receptacle for the new, stand-alone, "over-the-stove" microwave/range hood.

The original, existing 40/50a 220v 3-wire circuit for the original range can
remain.

Code changes cover new installations of circuits, not the replacement
appliances. The new range can be connected just as the old range was, on a
standard 2-wire with ground circuit.

But if replacing the old 3-wire circuit with a new 4-wire circuit is a piece of
cake as the OP describes, might as well just do it anyway.

wideglide01

Previously in alt.home.repair, "SQLit"
proclaimed :

Most microwaves for residential are 120v unless your buying foreign made.
Seems strange to me that your microwave draws almost as much as the oven..
Hummmm maybe more than an microwave?
Electrical connection for the new microwave if as you described should be an
outlet and maybe an breaker change out.
Electrical connection for oven will probably need an new run as the new
ovens require and neutral and ground conductor. (4 wires).
Check with the manufacture/ local authority to see what is required.

The microwave/oven that I'm buying is a GE Advantium 220v combination
oven and microwave. There's two versions, the 110v and the 220v. The
220v is more efficient and cooks better than the 110v version. Both
are relatively new to the GE appliance lineup. The 110v version is
approx $800 and the 220v version is $1,100.

Which ever one that I purchased, would of required an additional
outlet. Since I didn't have a 110v outlet, I figured I go ahead with
the 220v.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Unknown
Remove "die spammers" to email

wideglide01

Previously in alt.home.repair, unkbloc (HaHaHa)
proclaimed :

Not the old style microwave/range combination units popular in the late 80's.
They were one unit, as tall as a refrigerator.

...the one that we're getting rid of is a "over and under" unit. Where
the upper oven is an oven/exhaust fan combination that is connected to
the lower oven/range. The entire until was fed by a single 220v line.

Those older units utilized the 40/50a 220v for everything.

They're no longer common, probably not made anymore as a critical defect in one
component would require either a house call from an authorized dealer/repairman
or junk the whole kit and kaboddle.

...that probably explains why we couldn't find a similar, more modern
replacement and had to go with two separate units.

Seems strange to me that your microwave draws almost as much as the oven..
Hummmm maybe more than an microwave?
Electrical connection for the new microwave if as you described should be an
outlet and maybe an breaker change out.
Electrical connection for oven will probably need an new run as the new
ovens require and neutral and ground conductor. (4 wires).
Check with the manufacture/ local authority to see what is required.

I think the OP is simply converting from an all-in-one appliance containing a
microwave on top, and a standard convection oven/4 burner cooktop on the
bottom.

...actually it even more basic than that. The all-in-one is just an
upper and lower oven setup. No convection or microwave (hey this
thing was made in the late 70's). ;-)

It's actually worked quite well all these years and didn't start
acting up until lately when the thermostats for both ovens started
acting up and the knobs have started to deteriorate and when we had a
technician come out to replace a faulty timer assembly, he said that
the wiring is shot and recommended either replacing the entire control
unit or just consider replacing the entire range. I took the control
unit apart and the wires are indeed shot. Since the entire unit is a
little long in the tooth and my wife really wanted a more modern unit,
we ordered a new flattop convection oven with a combo oven/microwave
for the upper unit. It's a really nice combination actually. It's
just the wiring situation has become a little more complicated than we
had thought it would.

Replacing with 2004 unit will require only running a new 20a 120v line and
receptacle for the new, stand-alone, "over-the-stove" microwave/range hood.

The original, existing 40/50a 220v 3-wire circuit for the original range can
remain.

Code changes cover new installations of circuits, not the replacement
appliances. The new range can be connected just as the old range was, on a
standard 2-wire with ground circuit.

But if replacing the old 3-wire circuit with a new 4-wire circuit is a piece of
cake as the OP describes, might as well just do it anyway.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Unknown
Remove "die spammers" to email
John Grabowski

I wired one of those GE Advantium ovens for the Food Network a few years ago
when GE introduced them. They are the ones that cook with light. It
definitely requires a separate 30 amp, 220 volt circuit in addition to the
50 amp circuit for your stove.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv