DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Windows-Argon (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/77980-windows-argon.html)

m Ransley November 21st 04 12:42 PM

Windows-Argon

Is there any way to tell if a dual pane has Argon gas, how do you know
when buying windows that they didn`t just run out of Argon and use air.

Joseph Meehan November 21st 04 02:36 PM

m Ransley wrote:
Is there any way to tell if a dual pane has Argon gas, how do you know
when buying windows that they didn`t just run out of Argon and use air.

You don't. However I doubt if many manufactures are going to do that.
After all they will be watched by their competition if nothing else.

If they did measuring the effectiveness of the window would tell, but
that is not something you are likely to be able to do your self.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Martik November 21st 04 07:18 PM

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Is there any way to tell if a dual pane has Argon gas, how do you know
when buying windows that they didn`t just run out of Argon and use air.

Low-e makes a significant difference and can be tested by holding a
match/lighter near the window. You will see 4 reflections and the one on the
inside of the outer pane will be a different color. Argon accounts for only
..03 reduction in the U-factor and supposedly retards the oxidation of the
low-e coating.

http://www.energyguide.com/info/window2.asp

Kahlua53 November 21st 04 08:52 PM

can be tested by holding a
match/lighter near the window. You will see 4 reflections and the one on the
inside of the outer pane will be a different color.

This is true. I check mine before I installed them. I guy I know at work said
that it was common for them to put the low-e coating on the wrong side. The
only one I could not check was the bathroom window since it was frosted.

Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks