willshak

Default Compactor with cycle or motor problem

On 11/18/2004 11:44 PM US(ET), Retro Bob took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Kenmore Compactor, 15 years old. It recently started doing a "fast
cycle" up and down. I pulled the covers and the ram goes down maybe
1/2" then reverses, then down, until it has done this 20 times and
it shuts down. You have to wait five minutes, then try it again.
Seems like it overheats and pops some safety on the motor, when it
cools it works again.

I pulled lots of trash out form around the plunger but that was not
the issue. It's clean now. Also, the door tilt switch was smashed.
I thought that was the only problem, but removing it and jumpering
it out still leaves me with the up/down cycle problem.

Perhaps when the tilt switch broke it caused a motor control/cycle
problem ? Any pointers to how I should test ? I have the factory
test instructions and I confess to not doing all the tests yet
aside form the two door switch tests (one passed, one now jumpered
out). I am hoping someone can give me a pointer that will save me
some test time.

thanks,

Perhaps it needs some grease on the compactor screw?