BrowserGuy

Default HVAC seeking to boost air flow

Trying to remedy a rube goldberg duct work system that results in, ...,
less than optimal air flow to the far end of a run. What I can determine
by eye, tape, and feeling around up inside the duct looks like this:

* GMPN080-4 furnace/AC, plenum & duct work originally serving 1288 sq ft
* All original branches used top take offs & 6" flex pipe - all work fine
* Two long runs into garage/workshop area were added later - 576 sq ft
* Each run to 3 4x12 registers spaced above windows & along outside walls

The concerns I have with one particular run are all the twists and turns and
I know thats killing the air flow. I make it about 65 feet but I know each
change in direction makes it seem like more. How much more I don't know...

* Top take off to 18 ft of 7" flex pipe between floor joists
* Then to a metal 90 and 5 ft of 7" flex pipe across the bottom of the joists
* Then to a metal 7" round to 7" oval straight boot
* Then to 2 vertical 45s 7" ovals to get back up inside the joists
* Then to a 90 and 10 feet up inside the wall cavity with 7" oval
* Then to another 90 to get horizontal again
* Then to a 7" oval to 7" straight boot
* Then 24 ft (or so) straight 7" metal pipe with 2 of the registers
* Then a 90 to 8 more feet of straight pipe with 1 of the registers

I can't see any other way to have done the ducts given the constraints of
joists / walls / register locations. I can see 3 different things to try:

1) get rid of the flex duct and go all metal (reduce resistance ?)
2) install an in duct aux fan in basement and/or out in work shop
3) boost the main fan speed

#1 appears easiest/cheapest thing to try but will it help ?

#2 might be exactly what is needed but I really have no idea.

#3 is beyond me. I have no manual & no idea how to check it but I've read
that this unit has 3 selectable speeds. I'd really hate to pay a pro $100
or whatever to come out and flip a dip switch. If anybody has the book on
this unit...

Any advice from a pro/handyman/DIYer welcome.
--
Scotch.
udarrell

Are dampers in the other duct runs? If not, dampers should be installed
so you can balance the airflow.

If you can use high-speed fan, it will increase the pressure through the
long narrow ducts, providing you can damper balance the duct system.

You have a real mess there.

HREF="http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_syste ms.html"

A HREF="http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm#MY_AIR_CONDITIONING_PAGES"

udarrell Darrell

#1 appears easiest/cheapest thing to try but will it help ?

#2 might be exactly what is needed but I really have no idea.

#3 is beyond me. I have no manual & no idea how to check it but I've read
that this unit has 3 selectable speeds. I'd really hate to pay a pro $100
or whatever to come out and flip a dip switch. If anybody has the book on
this unit...

Any advice from a pro/handyman/DIYer welcome.
--
Scotch.

I am sorry, but there are not easy fixes and without a proper total
evaluation and correction, you will only be adding to the Rube Goldberg
system.

To start with you need to do a Manual "D" to get all the data you need
to figure all this stuff out. It does the math to get it right.

I also suggest that you will need a experienced professional. This is
an art form that needs the years of experience of finding ways of addressing
those construction situations that seem to defy doing the job right. Any
good professional will do the Manual "D" and I would not be surprised if
they wanted to do other "Manuals" to assure your HVAC equipment was up to
the task.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

#1 appears easiest/cheapest thing to try but will it help ?

#2 might be exactly what is needed but I really have no idea.

#3 is beyond me. I have no manual & no idea how to check it but I've read
that this unit has 3 selectable speeds. I'd really hate to pay a pro $100
or whatever to come out and flip a dip switch. If anybody has the book on
this unit...

Any advice from a pro/handyman/DIYer welcome.
--
Scotch.

Ok you want to do this yourself, I would not; but that is an different
story.

Start with the fan. You have an model number, hopefully there is an
manufacture. Locate an wiring diagram FIRST. Failing that locate an wiring
document for the motor and go backwards.

NOTE
this is will effect the run time of the unit. Faster fan speed = lower out
going temp in heat mode, longer run time.

Personally I would call someone to do this. What are you going to do when
you short out the motor and you have no heat at all?

#1 appears easiest/cheapest thing to try but will it help ?

#2 might be exactly what is needed but I really have no idea.

#3 is beyond me. I have no manual & no idea how to check it but I've read
that this unit has 3 selectable speeds. I'd really hate to pay a pro $100
or whatever to come out and flip a dip switch. If anybody has the book on
this unit...

Any advice from a pro/handyman/DIYer welcome.
--
Scotch.

Ok you want to do this yourself, I would not; but that is an different
story.

Start with the fan. You have an model number, hopefully there is an
manufacture. Locate an wiring diagram FIRST. Failing that locate an wiring
document for the motor and go backwards.

NOTE
this is will effect the run time of the unit. Faster fan speed = lower out
going temp in heat mode, longer run time.

Nope.

Faster fan speed = Higher heat output = Shorter run time

Personally I would call someone to do this. What are you going to do when
you short out the motor and you have no heat at all?

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
http://www.techmethod.com

PrecisionMachinisT

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I am sorry, but there are not easy fixes and without a proper total
evaluation and correction, you will only be adding to the Rube Goldberg
system.

To start with you need to do a Manual "D" to get all the data you need
to figure all this stuff out. It does the math to get it right.

To start with its likely the manual "D" was *already* done, and now with
this clusterfu*k glommed onto it's just costing him in money and lack of
overall comfort.

Probably would be best to just tear out that hacked in ducting, and go back
to using *that* system as it was designed.....

Set up a complete separate system to heat / cool the garage and workshop on
an as-needed basis, this unless perhaps he spends more time in the garage
than he does in the house--and even in that case by having a separately
controlled system he would have the option of controlling / adjusting both
systems to heat / cool only the space he is currently using.

--

SVL

m Ransley

Gary , you said " faster fan = higher output = shorter run time " .
nope, faster fan without more btu cannot equal higher output. It will
be Lower at supplys because more air is moving over the same heat
source. It moves the air around more but btu is a btu, or for
efficiency you would need and be specified high fan.

Greg O

"BrowserGuy" wrote in message

* GMPN080-4 furnace/AC, plenum & duct work originally serving 1288 sq ft
* All original branches used top take offs & 6" flex pipe - all work fine
* Two long runs into garage/workshop area were added later - 576 sq ft
* Each run to 3 4x12 registers spaced above windows & along outside walls

This part about the garage scares me, totally against code in most areas to
heat your garage with the house's furnace.
Now if this is remodeled space that you can no longer get a car into, then
no problem.

If it is still a garage, rip out all the duct work that attaches to the
house's furance, and add a second furance to heat just the garage. The two
systems need to be completely independant of each other, and no connection
what so ever for air to flow from the garage to the home.
Greg

Dan

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:14:51 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

[...]

You could legally have a heat run into the garage, but you couldn't
have a return out of it. That means it wouldn't work properly anyway.
The best idea is a seperate system, pay attention to the elevation
requirements and the UL listing of the unit you choose to use.

Dan

#1 Don't fool with the trashy Duct fans.

#2 Boost the fan speed to see.

#3 Do increase the duct sizes to make the move to area that are not getting it.

If you would like to get a run on the sizing of the ducts to increase them to
get the area to the ones that are not getting it. i can size them for you from
the duct sizes stated by you.

You can increase the fan speed if you get with me and i may be able to explain
it to you to run it on black or high. I know the GMPN's series for I install
then. If you e-mail me do include the serial number with the model number here.
It is really nothing to change the speed on them.

Get with me if you want to do #2 or #3.

TURTLE

m Ransley

Gary , yes a plugged filter reduces flow, but if what you were saying
was true the Low factory fan speed would reduce AFUE , higher fan speed
would increase AFUE. And that simply is not the case, Increasing fan
will not improve efficiency rather it will lower it by more electrical
consumption.

m Ransley

I see, higher blower speed = more KWH cost, a trade off.

m Ransley

But an interesting thing is Carirers 96.7 % Infinity is only one unit ,
the smallest 47000? btu unit, the others in that Infinity line are in
the 94 range, but if you look at the weight of the 96.7 unit you see it
is 20 or so lbs heavier than the next larger unit. Obviously more sq ft
in the exchanger. A marketing ploy yes, can furnaces be made 2-3% more
efficient, yes. So why aren`t they, competition and lack of Gov
incentives and mandates. The VS DC motors boost AFUE by 1 or so % if I
follow this right.

TURTLE

"m Ransley" wrote in message
But an interesting thing is Carirers 96.7 % Infinity is only one unit ,
the smallest 47000? btu unit, the others in that Infinity line are in
the 94 range, but if you look at the weight of the 96.7 unit you see it
is 20 or so lbs heavier than the next larger unit. Obviously more sq ft
in the exchanger. A marketing ploy yes, can furnaces be made 2-3% more
efficient, yes. So why aren`t they, competition and lack of Gov
incentives and mandates. The VS DC motors boost AFUE by 1 or so % if I
follow this right.

This is Turtle.

When you have a 96%AFUE furnace now and about 5% of the public is buying them
and the other 95% of the public is buying 80%AFUE furnaces , Well you can leed a
horse to water but you can't make him drink.

You can get the Government to start telling the manufactor what seer and AFUE
rating they will start offering and really just telling them what equipment to
make , but then you will come to a point where the manufactoring company will
say this. Well Mr. Government you have control here and I'll tell you what. You
start making these furnaces and we are going to make other things. Can you
picture what a gas furnace would cost with the Government making and designing
it. Does the words " A $1,200.00 Toilet seat ring a bell anywhere here" ?

TURTLE

m Ransley

Turtle refrigerators are 75% more efficient now because of regulations,
so it works. Competition keeps prices down. Polution equipment on cars
works to, from regulations. And regulations keep food safe, go to
Mexico where seafood is kept on a uncooled table in hot sun, and produce
is watered with sewage and meat is sold unrefrigerated, yes ive seen it
and got seafood poisoning there. Dont take so much for granted we have
it good here and outlawing 80% units would be a good idea, competition
would bring down prices just like it has done with electronics.

Gary R. Lloyd

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 04:22:56 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

Turtle refrigerators are 75% more efficient now because of regulations,
so it works. Competition keeps prices down. Polution equipment on cars
works to, from regulations. And regulations keep food safe, go to
Mexico where seafood is kept on a uncooled table in hot sun, and produce
is watered with sewage and meat is sold unrefrigerated, yes ive seen it
and got seafood poisoning there. Dont take so much for granted we have
it good here and outlawing 80% units would be a good idea, competition
would bring down prices just like it has done with electronics.

Protecting health is one thing. Dictating efficiency is another.
People will save a dollar if they can. No law needed. But they tend to
look at the payback. The environmentalists don't give a damn about
payback.

Imagine you are cleaning a room. You can get most of the dirt wth a
broom and a mop, at a very reasonable cost. Doing it with a toothbrush
and magnifying glass will get more of it, but the price goes up
considerably. Environmentalists would have you cleaning your room with
a microscope, and the cost would be enormous, but they aren't paying
for it, you are.

Can there be a furnace that comes close to 100%? Maybe, but that last
few percentage points is going to cost more than all of the other
percentage points put together. The environmentalsts don't care,
because it is your money not theirs. The end user should make the
decision, not the government.

BTW, government stifles competition. I agree that competition is a
very good thing. Get the government out of the way and you will have
more of it.

_______________________________

Liberals are thieves and dictators, unlike
conservatives who are dictators and thieves.

TURTLE

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Turtle refrigerators are 75% more efficient now because of regulations,
so it works. Competition keeps prices down. Polution equipment on cars
works to, from regulations. And regulations keep food safe, go to
Mexico where seafood is kept on a uncooled table in hot sun, and produce
is watered with sewage and meat is sold unrefrigerated, yes ive seen it
and got seafood poisoning there. Dont take so much for granted we have
it good here and outlawing 80% units would be a good idea, competition
would bring down prices just like it has done with electronics.

This is Turtle.

Have the Government tell manufactor of gas furnaces that they can't sell any
furnace that is less than 93%AFUE and you will cut out 1/2 the customers that
would burn gas as a fuel and switch to electric furnaces which can't be improved
any. Then you would have to put a tax on electric furnaces to raise the price of
them up to the 93% furnaces to stop them from usaing electric hogs on effency
and use more energy and they will not buy them either. Then they will all stop
buying central air systems and go back to panel ray heaters. Then you will have
the rich people having central heat and the regular Joe using panel ray heaters.

When the Government steps into a industry the drive the prices to the moon. Back
in about the early 1990's when the government stepped in and said that 80% AFUE
was the lowest rating that could be sold. At this time the average gas furnace
80K BTU 71% AFUE cost me about $300.00 . Then after the 80% mandate come into
effect this same furnace with a 80% rating cost me over $500.00. Now take to day
and tell everybody you have to buy the 93+% AFUE verses the 80% AFUE. If the
furnace runs about $600.00 you will be telling the public that the $600.00
furnace is no good and you will be paing $1,000.00 for it now because the
Government thinks you need to save 13% more on gas to save some money on your
gas bill.

Like I said before when the Government steps into a industry, The prices go to
the Moon.

TURTLE

m Ransley

Turtle , only a person with subsidised electric will go electric, ex
04 Kwh
Now- today- electric at 0.125 Kwh is nearly 3 TIMES the cost of gas
at my gas price, which is the norm for the midwest of USA.

Do you remember the 1000$ microwave, sure you do, now it is 50$.
Competition - demand dictates prices.

TURTLE

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Turtle , only a person with subsidised electric will go electric, ex
04 Kwh
Now- today- electric at 0.125 Kwh is nearly 3 TIMES the cost of gas
at my gas price, which is the norm for the midwest of USA.

Do you remember the 1000$ microwave, sure you do, now it is 50$.
Competition - demand dictates prices.

This is Turtle.

Here in Louisiana where fuel or electricity is still pretty cheap. the people
with all electric homes 2,000 sq. ft. [ no heat pumps ] with straight electric
15 KW element heat still get a $200 to $300.00 electric bill during the worst
cold weather times. Some even have this set up and use a panel ray heater as
heat and the propane cost them about $125 a month during cold months but we only
have 2 of them. Here in the South we get the fuel off the top before the middle
men start getting their cut off it. Louisiana produces 1/8 of all the natural
gas the U.S.A. uses totally.

Now to the Microwave stuff. I can remember the $1,000.00 microwave but I bought
one years ago and used it for YearS with a big S and now after giving it away to
kind folk and bought a cheap one. It has been 5 years and I've bought two of
them to last 5 years.

Now if the government tells the hvac industry to go to 13 seer and 93+% AFUE
furnaces. The hvac industry is making about 1/2 of all their equipment now over
seas and in Mexico and this will make them move all their operation over seas or
to Mexico. I crossed the Border here a while back at Brownville and saw
manufactoring plants of Rheem , Carrier, Trane, and Lennox. The produce the
parts there and ship them into the U.S. and just put them together here. If you
push them, They will just start assembling them there too and just ship them in.
With this push you will cut over 100,000+ employees job lost to Mexico or over
seas. Another not here all of Carrier equipment will be made and shipped into
the U.S. as of now. They have moved all their operation over seas. The only jobs
that will get the benefit of this is Railroad workers and Trucking companys and
they might just be Mexican companys doing this.

The American people get screwed everytime the Government get into telling the
industry what to do. The average assembly line Forman [ not worker ] get about
$25.00 a day or $500.00 a month. The American counter part would want more than
this.

TURTLE