DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can anyone recomend a hand held voltmeter? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/77254-can-anyone-recomend-hand-held-voltmeter.html)

F.H. November 18th 04 09:24 PM

Can anyone recomend a hand held voltmeter?

Just something for various household batteries. TIA.

Frank

m Ransley November 18th 04 10:06 PM

Get a battery tester they put a load on the batteries, for more acurate
indication of life, voltmeters don`t. Radio Shack

G. Morgan November 18th 04 10:24 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:24:31 GMT "F.H."
used 3 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Just something for various household batteries. TIA.

A $20 Sears one will be just fine.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

G. Morgan November 18th 04 10:27 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:24:09 -0600 "G. Morgan"
used 13 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:24:31 GMT "F.H."
used 3 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Just something for various household batteries. TIA.

A $20 Sears one will be just fine.

Oooppps. M. Ransley is correct, if you need to only check batteries
then a battery tester is preferred because it puts them under load.

Phisherman November 19th 04 12:11 AM

I bought a Radio Shack VOM 20 years ago. It is digital, and has a
large display and a sound continuity tester that I have found very
useful. The handle folds back and acts like a stand, which is
convenient at times. I remove the batteries before storing it as
recommended by the manufacturer. A fuse blew in it one time, and got
a replacement at RS. I think I paid $20 for it.

Jim Yanik November 19th 04 01:10 AM

"F.H." wrote in news:jq8nd.13038$pP5.5132@trnddc05:

Just something for various household batteries. TIA.

Frank

you want a battery tester,one that puts a load on the cell,and a ordinary
DMM does not do that.

You can get one at RadioShack.

Harbor Freight sells a ordinary DMM for $5.

(DMM=Digital MultiMeter)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

George E. Cawthon November 19th 04 03:16 AM

F.H. wrote:
Just something for various household batteries. TIA.

Frank

Yeah Harbor Freight. $3.99 with light switch or $2.99 without lighted
read out.

George E. Cawthon November 19th 04 03:24 AM

Jim Yanik wrote:
"F.H." wrote in news:jq8nd.13038$pP5.5132@trnddc05:

Just something for various household batteries. TIA.

Frank

you want a battery tester,one that puts a load on the cell,and a ordinary
DMM does not do that.

You can get one at RadioShack.

Harbor Freight sells a ordinary DMM for $5.

(DMM=Digital MultiMeter)

You don't need a battery tester for ordinary batteries if you know
what the voltage is supposed to be. Nicad and NiMH are a bit more
difficult. To get a load just put an appropriate light bulb across
the battery with the meter in parallel.

m Ransley November 19th 04 03:56 AM

Before I had a battery tester, and I have 3 v meters, I threw away good
batteries, could not match pairs and kept bad ones. A battery tester
puts the correct load for each cell so you can determine if it is worth
keeping and for how long. Plus you can match odd cells to the power
left. I saved alot with a battery tester, no more gussing. A bulb will
not be the correct load a V meter will not indicate Life Left.

Red Neckerson November 19th 04 11:28 AM

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
F.H. wrote:
Just something for various household batteries. TIA.

Frank

Yeah Harbor Freight. $3.99 with light switch or $2.99 without lighted
read out.

Damn you! Tell the world why don't you!! I was going buy a bunch of theose
and sell them for $20 on eBay!!!!

;-]

Jeff Wisnia November 19th 04 05:12 PM

Phisherman wrote:

I bought a Radio Shack VOM 20 years ago. It is digital, and has a
large display and a sound continuity tester that I have found very
useful. The handle folds back and acts like a stand, which is
convenient at times. I remove the batteries before storing it as
recommended by the manufacturer. A fuse blew in it one time, and got
a replacement at RS. I think I paid $20 for it.

That's one heck of an expensive fuse. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Stormin Mormon November 20th 04 05:50 PM

Harbor Freight has VOM's as cheap as th ree bucks, now and again.

If you're testing batteries, you oughta have a battery tester. VOM read wtih
very little added load. Battery tester supplies a little load while it's
testing. Radio Shack has these for ten bucks or so.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m Ransley November 21st 04 03:02 AM

Stormin is not totaly acurate but not totaly high either, in
between....

G. Morgan November 21st 04 04:28 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:02:51 -0600 "m Ransley"
used 3 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Stormin is not totaly acurate but not totaly high either, in
between....

You're wrong. He *is* "totally high". ;~)

Chip Stein November 22nd 04 04:22 AM

G. Morgan wrote in message .. .
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:02:51 -0600 "m Ransley"
used 3 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Stormin is not totaly acurate but not totaly high either, in
between....

You're wrong. He *is* "totally high". ;~)

if you want a real meter buy a fluke.
Chip