DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fireplace modification (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/77159-fireplace-modification.html)

Martik November 16th 04 06:01 AM

Fireplace modification

I need more height to install a gas f/p so I was thinking of removing the
top 2 rows of bricks where they jut out in the center. The current height is
20" but I need about 24" for the vent pipe to connect inside the chimney.
Other possibilities include drilling a hole thru the f/p but this would not
look good if the gas f/p was ever removed.

My question is: How can I remove the 2 rows safely? The iron bar would have
to come out which could cause the bricks to collapse. Will there be similar
bricks behind the ones I remove?

Thanks

http://www3.telus.net/martik/fireplace1.jpg angle showing jut out

http://www3.telus.net/martik/fireplace2.jpg iron bar under the bricks

m Ransley November 16th 04 11:14 AM

You will need to put in a new steel header

Bob November 16th 04 03:40 PM

"twfsa" wrote in message
No ideas on the fireplace ,but how do you post pictures to a

newsgroup I
have a digital camera.

You should only post pictures to newsgroups that have the word
"binary" in some form in the newsgroup name.
Doing otherwise will get the pictures removed from many
newsservers, and risks removal of the offending newsgroups on
others.

Bob

Philip Lewis November 16th 04 04:08 PM

"twfsa" writes:
No ideas on the fireplace ,but how do you post pictures to a newsgroup I
have a digital camera.

As Bob said, you shouldn't post pictures (or anything but plain text
for that matter) to anything except binary groups.

The manner the OP posted the pictures, by placing them on a web page
and posting a URL to that web page is the only acceptable way of
"posting" pictures to a text group.

There are several free web hosting sites out there, choose one, upload
your picture, and post a link.

To post to a picture to a binary group, you would compose the message,
and add the picture as an attachment. You appear to be using outlook
express, so you should be able to browse to the picture on your hard
drive, press the mouse button while over picture file, move the mouse
pointer till it is over the message you are composing, and let go of
the mouse button.

Another way is to find a program that will uuencode the message.
This makes it into something that mail routers will not mess up when
it routes the message. then you cut/paste the uuencoded file into the
message.

Hope this helps.
--
be safe.
flip

Martik November 16th 04 08:11 PM

"twfsa" wrote in message
No ideas on the fireplace ,but how do you post pictures to a newsgroup I
have a digital camera.

TIA

Tom

Your ISP probably provides a few MB of web space for this purpose - call
them.

Fogbank November 17th 04 08:14 PM

"B" wrote in message om...
Listen to Art, carefully. I wouldn't touch that project with my 10-foot
pole. -B

agreed. i removed a fire place inside not long ago. when i removed the
steel header the rest of the job just "fell" into place. find an
insert that fits the exhisting opening or consult and hire a
professional - it's not a do it yourself job.

.net...

Martik November 17th 04 08:18 PM

Agreed, Thanks for your help!