lp13-30

Default ModernMaid microwave

I have some friends who have a built-in ModernMaid microwave(above the
regular electric oven),about 20 years old. It quit a couple of weeks
ago, and the had a reputable independant appliance tech look at it . He
told them the mag tube was bad, and that it was no longer available.I am
wondering how universal mag tubes are and if any other tubes can be
substituted if the exact one for that unit is indeed not available. I
see in my Johnstone catalog that they have four tubes they say are
direct and universal replacements for numerous brands including
ModernMaid. Any advice I can get from the microwave gurus here will be
greatly appreciated. The people know they can buy a new oven for $39,
but they want the built in one fixed if possible and are willing to
spend whatever it costs--within reason- .Thanks Larry

TURTLE

"lp13-30" wrote in message
I have some friends who have a built-in ModernMaid microwave(above the
regular electric oven),about 20 years old. It quit a couple of weeks
ago, and the had a reputable independant appliance tech look at it . He
told them the mag tube was bad, and that it was no longer available.I am
wondering how universal mag tubes are and if any other tubes can be
substituted if the exact one for that unit is indeed not available. I
see in my Johnstone catalog that they have four tubes they say are
direct and universal replacements for numerous brands including
ModernMaid. Any advice I can get from the microwave gurus here will be
greatly appreciated. The people know they can buy a new oven for $39,
but they want the built in one fixed if possible and are willing to
spend whatever it costs--within reason- .Thanks Larry

This is Turtle.

I know Electronic Wizard here in Town that built his own but it cost him dearly
to get all the control parts to be mounted in a set possion and to get them all
in a possion to be able to make it useable. Another big thing was the fan to
cool the mag tube and the cooking area all at the same time. He used 1/4" Plexey
glass outter hull to see all the parts and a 3/8" teflon squares to build the
cooking box. He did not have the spinner in the middle to turn the food. That
was going to be the next try. He said the Mag tube had to get air or it will
bvurn out too soon. He said the cost was just over $100.00 and a lot of time.

I'm now a Gurus but just a good watcher of a fellow with too much time on his
hands.

TURTLE

Roger

"lp13-30" wrote in message
I have some friends who have a built-in ModernMaid microwave(above the
regular electric oven),about 20 years old. It quit a couple of weeks
ago, and the had a reputable independant appliance tech look at it . He
told them the mag tube was bad, and that it was no longer available.I am
wondering how universal mag tubes are and if any other tubes can be
substituted if the exact one for that unit is indeed not available. I
see in my Johnstone catalog that they have four tubes they say are
direct and universal replacements for numerous brands including
ModernMaid. Any advice I can get from the microwave gurus here will be
greatly appreciated. The people know they can buy a new oven for $39,
but they want the built in one fixed if possible and are willing to
spend whatever it costs--within reason- .Thanks Larry

Tell your friend to forget repairing it, and buy a new microwave that fits
the hole in the cabinet. Today's units are safer, more effective, have
better capacity, turntable, etc. Plus, a new one is likely 1/4th the price
of the ModernMaid, in inflation adjusted dollars.

TURTLE

"Roger" wrote in message

"lp13-30" wrote in message
[...]

Hummmmm , Did not read the poster's words well did you. He said cost no object !

TURTLE