Chris Lewis

According to Stormin Mormon :
Be interesting to call my local utility some time and see if that's the line
voltage otu there.

As I understand it, MOST distribution systems feed 4Kv to the local pole
pig. The ones that don't, feed voltages _higher_ than 4Kv.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis

According to Stormin Mormon :
The discussion was about reverse feeding power through your circuit panel
box and out onto the grid. You're the first person to mention a transformer.

For the n'th time:

There's a transformer between you and the grid - the "pole pig".
The input voltage on it is at least 4Kv, the output 240V (well, actually,
split for 2x 120v). If you backfeed your panel box, the input and output
of the polepig are reversed. The input, from your generator, is 240V.
The output (the grid side) is 4Kv.

If the power plant is _still_ feeding the polepig, sparks fly and things
go kablam.

If the power plant isn't feeding the polepig, but there's still significant
grid connected to the pole pig, you're trying to feed your neighbors. Probably
no kablam, but a generator that certainly doesn't work right.

If the polepig hot wire _broke_ (why you had the generator there), that
means that the severed end of the pole pig wire dangling on the ground
is at 4Kv. A wonderful thing for kiddies to run into. Or linesmen being
surprised with when they're trying to do you a favour and reconnect
you.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Pop

Or even per house, as it is out here in the sticks where we live.
Some houses around here have 200' + of wire from the xfmr to the
residence. They want thousands to move/install a pole, but then
they'll giv out the lousy service of long feed lines to the
houses, cause YOU bear that cost, so best case, you get to put it
underground. Go figure.

Hey, don't forget, maroon here has been working with 'lectrisitie
for ten plus years! HE knows thar ain't really no transformers
in this here stuff; them's toys, not fer lectitical stuff.

Pop

"John Hines" wrote in message
| "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
|
| The discussion was about reverse feeding power through your
circuit panel
| box and out onto the grid. You're the first person to mention
a transformer.

| That is because the rest of us know how the grid works.
|
| The grid doesn't run at 220V like your house does. There is a
| transformer (aka pole pig) for every half dozen houses or so.

m Ransley

The truth is Stormy thinks a volt is all that matters, and poles , do
not matter. And generators are all equal and all you need is a plug ,
to plug ' IT IN " . Hilbilly Darwinisim, in effect here. By by

Gary R. Lloyd

On 22 Nov 2004 18:12:16 GMT, (Chris Lewis)
wrote:

[...]

Exactly so. A transformer transforms in both directions. If you supply
4KV to the primary, you get 240V at the secondary. If you supply 240V
at the secondary, you get 4KV at the primary. If the lineman isn't
expecting it, it could kill him.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
http://www.techmethod.com

Greg

It is certainly possible that you can back feed a transforner on the grid and
kill a lineman, not following his procedures. I doubt it is likely tho. When
your tiny little generator hits that immovable object (your neighbor's loads)
it will trip.
The reality is, if you do kill someone, it is more likely to be your neighbor
who is as electrically dumb as you are and is trying to jury rig something
himself when your generator comes online.
If your lineman does find power coming into the grid from your house, expect to
be on generator long after your neighbors have their power back. Your service
drop will be laying in the yard and your request for service will probably be
"lost in the system" for a while.
HorneTD

Greg wrote:
It is certainly possible that you can back feed a transforner on the grid and
kill a lineman, not following his procedures. I doubt it is likely tho. When
your tiny little generator hits that immovable object (your neighbor's loads)
it will trip.
The reality is, if you do kill someone, it is more likely to be your neighbor
who is as electrically dumb as you are and is trying to jury rig something
himself when your generator comes online.
If your lineman does find power coming into the grid from your house, expect to
be on generator long after your neighbors have their power back. Your service
drop will be laying in the yard and your request for service will probably be
"lost in the system" for a while.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/90pr05.html

FACE: 90PR05

SUBJECT: Lineman Dies When He Contacts Energized
Power Line in Puerto Rico
CAUSE: Electrocution

SUMMARY: On September 29, 1989, a 42-year-old male lineman with 19 years
of experience was electrocuted while attaching a 2,400-volt power line
to a pole-mounted insulator. The power line had been de-energized two
days earlier and the supervisor assured the lineman that the power line
was still de-energized.

A construction crew consisting of a supervisor, three class A linemen
(including the victim), a first-class lineman, a groundman, and two
truck drivers were assigned the task of correcting a malfunction in a
de-energized three-phase power line. When the crew arrived at the work
site, they found that one of the three phases had broken and fallen to
the ground. The supervisor instructed the victim to relocate the damaged
phase on the cross-arm of the pole to better balance the load on the
cross-arm. As the victim began to climb the pole he was assured by the
supervisor that the power lines had been de-energized. When he attempted
to relocate the damaged line he contacted another phase, was shocked,
and slumped backwards, prevented from falling by his safety belt. The
power lines at the work site had been energized by backfeed electrical
energy from a portable gas generator being used on the circuit. NIOSH
investigators concluded that to prevent future similar occurrences,
employers and employees must:

o ensure that established procedures for power line maintenance work are
followed at all times

o take special precautions to guard against feedback electrical energy,
including testing and grounding power lines prior to the initiation of work.

If you look you will find at least two moret that are much like this one.
--
Tom H