Wade

Default Light Bulbs leaving black marks on ceiling

I have several lights throughout my house which have burn/black spots above
the bulbs on the ceiling. The bulbs range from 6 inches in the bathroom to
1 foot in the hallways from the ceiling in each candlebra. I reduced the
bulbs from 60 watts to 40 and in some cases down to 25 watts on the ones
which are 6 inches from the ceiling (in the bathroom). This hasn't helped.
The house and light holders are original, about 20 years old and the spots
were not there when I moved in 5 years ago...at least not to the degree they
are now. Have the bulbs changed to burn more hot or am I just buying low
quality bulbs? I can wash the ceiling and block it out & repaint, but I
don't want to do this if is going to happen again. I really don't want to
change the style of lighting at this time. Any thoughts/ideas would be
appreciated.

Wade

Joseph Meehan

Wade wrote:
[...]

It is not the bulb that is doing it. It is the air in the room. Smoke
or other pollutants in the air end up on the ceiling (likely the ceiling is
cool (unheated area above?) and the pollutants are leaving the marks as the
air flow, caused by the warmth of the lights, is moving the pollutants up.

Clean the air and you will see no more black spots.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Pop

I don't think it's increased heat from the bulbs or anything.
IMO, it's more likely the "chimney" effect of the warmer bulbs
floating dust (smoke, cooking, street, etc.) up to the ceiling
where it may or may not stick, depending on the material in the
"dust", humidity and probably other things.
Reason I say this is I've noticed it too, especially over the
lamp near my chair when I used to smoke; it was directly above
the lamp, not the chair, and the lamp was about 4 feet from the
ceiling with a conical shade.
I also notice that in my shop it collects the same way. I
used white maritile to get a bright reflective ceiling and the
circles are about a foot and a half radius some places, and the 8
ft, flourescents even have a ridge along them, ballooned near
each end, sort of like a magnetic field. I suppose that might
have somethnig to do with the high voltage at the ends, but it's
the same effect.
When I heat with my Reddy kero heater it's more likely to
build up than with it off.
Usually 409 does a good job of removing it, long's you don't
mind clean spots g.

Pop

"Wade" wrote in message
link.net...
|I have several lights throughout my house which have burn/black
spots above
| the bulbs on the ceiling. The bulbs range from 6 inches in
the bathroom to
| 1 foot in the hallways from the ceiling in each candlebra. I
reduced the
| bulbs from 60 watts to 40 and in some cases down to 25 watts on
the ones
| which are 6 inches from the ceiling (in the bathroom). This
hasn't helped.
| The house and light holders are original, about 20 years old
and the spots
| were not there when I moved in 5 years ago...at least not to
the degree they
| are now. Have the bulbs changed to burn more hot or am I just
buying low
| quality bulbs? I can wash the ceiling and block it out &
repaint, but I
| don't want to do this if is going to happen again. I really
don't want to
| change the style of lighting at this time. Any thoughts/ideas
would be
| appreciated.
|
| Wade

Doug Kanter

"Wade" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

That's weird! But, since bulbs make heat and heat rises, could they simply
be channeling some sort of dirt or dust in the air and sending it directly
above to the ceiling? Is your home near a busy street, or is there a
potential source of soot in the house? Maybe a woodburning stove? Does the
dark stuff wipe of easily?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Wade" wrote in message
link.net...
I have several lights throughout my house which have burn/black spots

above
the bulbs on the ceiling. The bulbs range from 6 inches in the bathroom

1 foot in the hallways from the ceiling in each candlebra. I reduced the
bulbs from 60 watts to 40 and in some cases down to 25 watts on the ones
which are 6 inches from the ceiling (in the bathroom). This hasn't

helped.

Smokers in the house? Burn a lot of candles? Wood burning stove? You have
residue from them being deposited on the ceiling. The only way to eliminate
it is to clean the air (filtration) or eliminate the source. I see people
burning candles thinking they remove odors. They deposit a lot of soot from
the paraffin onto the walls.

Rich

What's causing this is a profound lack of housekeeping. Your filth is
sticking to the ceiling by way of hot air flow from the bulbs. As you walk
through the house, sit on your furniture, move things etc. you disturb your
settled filth and it becomes airborne and circulates through your home, gets
trapped in the air circulation and gets stuck to your gummy ceiling. Clean
your house, wash your walls, stop smoking indoors and stop burning your
food!

w_tom

Want to increase the number of pollutants in air? Install
one of those plug-in air fresheners - to increase the number
of chemicals that will be deposited on that ceiling.

The only air freshener that really works is one that removes
chemicals from the air; that required electrical plates to be
washed or filters to be replaced. Those black spots are
suggesting how dirty air really is.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Smokers in the house? Burn a lot of candles? Wood burning stove?
You have residue from them being deposited on the ceiling. The
only way to eliminate it is to clean the air (filtration) or
eliminate the source. I see people burning candles thinking they
remove odors. They deposit a lot of soot from the paraffin onto
the walls.

TURTLE

"Wade" wrote in message
link.net...
I have several lights throughout my house which have burn/black spots above the
bulbs on the ceiling. The bulbs range from 6 inches in the bathroom to 1 foot
in the hallways from the ceiling in each candlebra. I reduced the bulbs from
60 watts to 40 and in some cases down to 25 watts on the ones which are 6
inches from the ceiling (in the bathroom). This hasn't helped. The house and
light holders are original, about 20 years old and the spots were not there
when I moved in 5 years ago...at least not to the degree they are now. Have
the bulbs changed to burn more hot or am I just buying low quality bulbs? I
can wash the ceiling and block it out & repaint, but I don't want to do this if
is going to happen again. I really don't want to change the style of lighting
at this time. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Wade

This is Turtle.

Well get you some no heat Lite Bulbs by G/E that look like a coil neon lite
which burn 1/2 the electricity and give off very little heat at all. You can get
them at Sam's Wholesale place and come 5 in a pack. This way you find out if
heat is doing it.

TURTLE

m Ransley

Clean your house, vent your stove outside, don`t smoke inside,put in a
real furnace filter, you problems won`t come back. Remember when your
walls were white not yellow?

Wade

You all have me on both counts. I do have more dust in the house than I
should and my wife does burn candles from time to time, so I guess it's time
to do some major cleaning. Thanks, I was more focused on the bulbs
themselves and not the quality of air in the house.

Wade

"Wade" wrote in message
link.net...
I have several lights throughout my house which have burn/black spots above
the bulbs on the ceiling. The bulbs range from 6 inches in the bathroom
to 1 foot in the hallways from the ceiling in each candlebra. I reduced
the bulbs from 60 watts to 40 and in some cases down to 25 watts on the
ones which are 6 inches from the ceiling (in the bathroom). This hasn't
helped. The house and light holders are original, about 20 years old and
the spots were not there when I moved in 5 years ago...at least not to the
degree they are now. Have the bulbs changed to burn more hot or am I just
buying low quality bulbs? I can wash the ceiling and block it out &
repaint, but I don't want to do this if is going to happen again. I really
don't want to change the style of lighting at this time. Any
thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Wade

Joe Bobst

Other posts have correctly identified the reason for the black spots. To
prevent them from reoccurring, you must get some air circulation. Odds are you
don't have forced air heat, so installing ceiling fans would distribute the
grunge more uniformly all over and thus less noticeable until all the walls are
gray. HTH

Joe
TURTLE

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Clean your house, vent your stove outside, don`t smoke inside,put in a
real furnace filter, you problems won`t come back. Remember when your
walls were white not yellow?

This is Turtle.

A bunch of people now days don't live like Martha Stewart once did.

The reason I posted was to try to see if it was heat from the lite bulbs or like
you say the heat from the bulb cause a up draft to pull the pollution up and hit
the ceiling just above the bulb. It has to be one of these things doing it.

TURTLE

Don Klipstein

In article , TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.

Well get you some no heat Lite Bulbs by G/E that look like a coil neon lite
which burn 1/2 the electricity and give off very little heat at all. You
can get them at Sam's Wholesale place and come 5 in a pack. This way you
find out if heat is doing it.

TURTLE

Compact fluorescents actually make a majority as much convected heat as
incandescents of the same light output do. What compact fluorescents
produce much less of is infrared. You get a lot less heat in the room,
although the air above the bulb will be only a little cooler.

- Don Klipstein )
willshak

Don Klipstein wrote:

In article , TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.

Well get you some no heat Lite Bulbs by G/E that look like a coil neon lite
which burn 1/2 the electricity and give off very little heat at all. You
can get them at Sam's Wholesale place and come 5 in a pack. This way you
find out if heat is doing it.

TURTLE

Compact fluorescents actually make a majority as much convected heat as
incandescents of the same light output do. What compact fluorescents
produce much less of is infrared. You get a lot less heat in the room,
although the air above the bulb will be only a little cooler.

- Don Klipstein )

I don't find that to be true, in my case anyway. I don't have any
technical information or measuring devices to accurately measure the
heat output, but just used my touch sensory organ.
I have a desk lamp sitting right next to me that has a stainless steel
lamp cover over the bulb (looks kinda like a small inverted SS mixing
bowl). I had been using 60 watt incandescent bulbs in it up to a week
ago. If I placed my hand on the top of the SS cover, I could not hold it
there for more than a few seconds because it was so hot.
Last week, I put in a "GE softwhite 60" spiral compact flourescent bulb
rated at 13 W, which they claim has the light output of an incandescent
60 W bulb. I can put my hand on the cover and hold it there for as long
as I want because it is not hot, but merely warm. And not all that warm
either. When my coffee is that temperature, I usually go heat it up in
the MW.
Chris Lewis

According to Wade :
You all have me on both counts. I do have more dust in the house than I
should and my wife does burn candles from time to time, so I guess it's time
to do some major cleaning. Thanks, I was more focused on the bulbs
themselves and not the quality of air in the house.

I'll add one comment - I think it's moderately unlikely that hot lightbulbs
will cause blackspots on the ceiling due to atmospheric dirt and heat
upwelling _alone_. Certainly not with any great rapidity, even with
vast quantities of grease in the air (which'll make the stuff stick).

If these fixtures are suspended from electrical boxes in an attic
ceiling, the boxes themselves are probably leaking warm air like
crazy into the attic, which will _greatly_ increase the total airflow
and crud deposition rate. Especially if there's any condensation there
(some of the black could even be mould).

So, while you're killing yourself cleaning up the house ;-), a short
amount of time bagging the fixture boxes (from the attic side) with
vapor barrier plastic may be time well spent.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

TURTLE

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In article , TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.

Well get you some no heat Lite Bulbs by G/E that look like a coil neon lite
which burn 1/2 the electricity and give off very little heat at all. You
can get them at Sam's Wholesale place and come 5 in a pack. This way you
find out if heat is doing it.

TURTLE

Compact fluorescents actually make a majority as much convected heat as
incandescents of the same light output do. What compact fluorescents
produce much less of is infrared. You get a lot less heat in the room,
although the air above the bulb will be only a little cooler.

- Don Klipstein )

This is Turtle.

I'm like Wilshake on the G/E lites are not as hot when you put them in a socket.
I have a G/E new type in a lamp by my computor and with the 60 watt bulb in it.
the bulb will burn your ass if you touch it. I can touch the New G/E bulb and
keep my fingers on it after it has run for a long time. It's no where near the
heat of a regular 60 watt bulb in it.

TURTLE

Darro

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:56:38 GMT, "Wade"
wrote:

[...]

It sounds to me as though the heat from your light bulbs may be
creating dark patches on your ceiling in the same way that some
baseboard heaters create dark patches on the walls above them. There
is a scientific explanation for the baseboard heater patches which I
can't fully remember. However, I seem to recall that the temperature
differential between the wall and the heated air causes extremely tiny
airborne particles and the wall to acquire opposite electrical
charges. The charged particles are drawn deeply into the wall finish
by the force of attraction between opposite electrical charges. The
tiny particles are absorbed so tightly into the finish that it's
impossible to wash them out. If you can't get the ceiling spots clean,
then this phenomenon may be occurring in your home.

I'd look for ways to reduce the quantity of airborne particles and
would also look to minimize the temperature differential between the
ceiling (more insulation?) and the air warmed by the lights (cooler
bulbs?).
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Don Klipstein, Shar wrote:
What takes the spots off?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-567430-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Rich, Abby wrote:
Wow. That was not helpful or polite. Bully

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-567430-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Abby, Bob G wrote:
So 16 years later you comment. He was right though. Crap in the air floating
around.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-567430-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

A bunch of people now days don't live like
Martha Stewart once did.

_______
Lazy Millennials, or too busy earning a buck to clean house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Abby, Ariana wrote:
I agree the flippant attitude was unneeded.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-567430-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob G, Ariana wrote:
She most likely didn't come across this post until March 2020, as I myself am
just coming across it 16 years later. Agreed that he was right, but agreed the
condescending attitude does no one any good. What were the instructions right
before got start typing a reply? Hmm... "Text of your reply goes here. Be
polite and helpful to others."

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-567430-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ariana m writes:
replying to Bob G, Ariana wrote:
She most likely didn't come across this post until March 2020, as I myself am
just coming across it 16 years later. Agreed that he was right, but agreed the
condescending attitude does no one any good. What were the instructions right
before got start typing a reply? Hmm... "Text of your reply goes here. Be
polite and helpful to others."

It should have read"

"Text of your reply goes here. Check the date of
the posting you are replying to before replying. Don't use home moaners hub
to leach off usenet."

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Abby, Kate Manka wrote:
I agree. Uncalled for.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-567430-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2020 2:14 PM, Kate Manka wrote:
replying to Abby, Kate Manka wrote:
I agree.Â* Uncalled for.

Yeah, people living in filthy conditions don't want to be told about it
Posted to alt.home.repair
eri eri is offline

lol

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-567430-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/05/2021 14:15, eri wrote:
lol

Before answering a 16 year old post with a single word again, please
look at the following link:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub
Posted to alt.home.repair

eri wrote

lol

He who laughs last. after 16 years...

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-567430-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 05:14:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

lol

He who laughs last. after 16 years...

And you senile asshole troll will give another senile feedback ...after 16
years! LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID: