Robert

Default Popcorn Ceiling Removal Question

I have a popcorn ceiling in my house. I am assuming it has asbestos.
I have the safety issues worked out. I am just trying to remove it.

My problem is the removal process. The popcorn material has been
encapsulated with one or more layers of paint. I have tried to use
water and water with soap to wet the ceiling. But it isn't working.
It is not getting through the paint layer. I am looking at scraping
the lower layers that are dry.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get through the paint? I have
thought about a paint stripper but reading the labels, it looks like
the fumes are pretty toxic and require ventilation. My rooms are
taped pretty well to prevent ventilation.

I am stuck and could use some advice. Thanks in advance for any
assistance.

Thanks,

Robert
G. Morgan

On 14 Nov 2004 00:56:31 -0800 "Robert"
used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

I am stuck and could use some advice.

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,230 for popcorn ceiling
group:alt.home.repair
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...pair&lr=&hl=en

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
m Ransley

It is not asbestos, but drywall may be just as cheap

G. Morgan

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:22:39 -0600 "m Ransley"
used 2 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

It is not asbestos, but drywall may be just as cheap

Why are you telling me that?
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Edwin Pawlowski

"Christian" wrote in message
... replace the ceiling drywall.

C.

Why? It takes far less time and costs about nothing to scrape off the
popcorn.

m Ransley

If it is painted you need remover, then you still have to skimcoat,
sand. Also your taping could be damaged. People texture to hide damage

Edwin Pawlowski

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If it is painted you need remover, then you still have to skimcoat,
sand. Also your taping could be damaged. People texture to hide damage

My wife and I have removed about 1800 square feet of popcorn. No taping, no
skim coat, no removers. Just water with a couple of drops of detergent,
scrapers and sponges.

m Ransley

You are lucky Ed, if it has been painted it is a different story, a real
big job having paint stripper over your head and eyes. the OP ceilings
are painted, it will not just scrape off if painted.

pray4surf

"m Ransley" wrote in message
: You are lucky Ed, if it has been painted it is a different story, a real
: big job having paint stripper over your head and eyes. the OP ceilings
: are painted, it will not just scrape off if painted.
:

Ours was painted also. I found that taking a taping knife or a 'Sureform'
rasp would knock the 'tits' off. Then spray and scrape. If asbestos is a
concern, then I re-consider this step...

Rick