Hayduke

Default Keeping Cedar deck and siding from going grey....

I am considering using cedar for some deck and siding projects I have
coming up. I think cedar is a beautiful wood when new and smells
great. What I don't like is the gray color it turns after a little
aging. Is there a sealer or some kind of way to prevent cedar wood
from turning grey?

gray or grey?

Anyway......

Hayduke
m Ransley

It will grey as the sealer wears off requiring cleaning and resealing.
But new it will look the best. Natural light color will require the most
maintenance.

Brikp

Look at the Sikkens products. I used Sikkens Cetol 123 on some new western
red cedar siding many years ago and it still looks great. It will require a
renew of the topcoat every few years depending on the exposure. I think
their deck product is Sikkens Cetol Dek or some such thing. The "natural"
color will darken the look a bit, it looks great, sort of like if you took
the raw wood an wet it.

I highly recommend the Sikkens stuff.

"Hayduke" wrote in message
m...
I am considering using cedar for some deck and siding projects I have
coming up. I think cedar is a beautiful wood when new and smells
great. What I don't like is the gray color it turns after a little
aging. Is there a sealer or some kind of way to prevent cedar wood
from turning grey?

gray or grey?

Anyway......

Hayduke

Edwin Pawlowski

"Hayduke" wrote in message
m...
I am considering using cedar for some deck and siding projects I have
coming up. I think cedar is a beautiful wood when new and smells
great. What I don't like is the gray color it turns after a little
aging. Is there a sealer or some kind of way to prevent cedar wood
from turning grey?

Penofin Oil. Has UV inhibitors.

PhotoMan

Brikp wrote:
Look at the Sikkens products. I used Sikkens Cetol 123 on some new
western red cedar siding many years ago and it still looks great. It
will require a renew of the topcoat every few years depending on the
exposure. I think their deck product is Sikkens Cetol Dek or some
such thing. The "natural" color will darken the look a bit, it looks
great, sort of like if you took the raw wood an wet it.

I highly recommend the Sikkens stuff.

"Hayduke" wrote in message
m...
I am considering using cedar for some deck and siding projects I have
coming up. I think cedar is a beautiful wood when new and smells
great. What I don't like is the gray color it turns after a little
aging. Is there a sealer or some kind of way to prevent cedar wood
from turning grey?

Bear in mind that any sealer will also seal in the smell.

m Ransley

Cedrar is wood , it darkens , it takes work, but will never be like
new. after 5 yrs.. Ever.

Roger

I am considering using cedar for some deck and siding projects I have
coming up. I think cedar is a beautiful wood when new and smells
great. What I don't like is the gray color it turns after a little
aging. Is there a sealer or some kind of way to prevent cedar wood
from turning grey?

You ought ought to pick a wood species that weathers to the color *you*
want. Trying to keep cedar from going gray is a very expensive and labor
intensive job involving frequent re-coats of acrylic or oil stains and
sealers, and sealing robs you of the wonderful cedar scent. If siding is
properly built, it should last a lifetime with only infrequent cleaning and
occasional reoiling. All organic oils such as linseed based products
eventually darken the wood, as they oxidize and are food for mold.. Acrylic
stains tend to maintain the original color without significant darkening, in
my experience.

Erma1ina

Brikp wrote:

Look at the Sikkens products. I used Sikkens Cetol 123 on some new western
red cedar siding many years ago and it still looks great. It will require a
renew of the topcoat every few years depending on the exposure. I think
their deck product is Sikkens Cetol Dek or some such thing. The "natural"
color will darken the look a bit, it looks great, sort of like if you took
the raw wood an wet it.

I highly recommend the Sikkens stuff.

"Hayduke" wrote in message
m...
I am considering using cedar for some deck and siding projects I have
coming up. I think cedar is a beautiful wood when new and smells
great. What I don't like is the gray color it turns after a little
aging. Is there a sealer or some kind of way to prevent cedar wood
from turning grey?

gray or grey?

Anyway......

Hayduke

I second the recommendation of Sikkens.

I used Sikkens Cetol SRD (1-step application for low-lying decks) on
OLD, but cleaned and brightened, pressure-treated wood and it's lasted 4
years and counting. I used semi-transparent "Sequoia"/"Redwood" (#089).

Whatever you use, be sure to prep the wood and apply per manufacturer's
instructions as best you can.

deck problem John D'Errico Home Repair 3 August 30th 04 12:02 AM
Repairing wood siding Don Phillipson Home Repair 0 July 29th 03 04:29 PM
Water or oil based deck stain Brian Home Repair 3 July 3rd 03 04:24 AM