Vito Cavallo

Default Old Oil Furnace Efficiency Question

I have an old 1920's house with a big old rectangle oil furnace. The system
is steam heat. The furnace is about 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 6 feet
long. House is 2 floors (plus finished attic), 1400 sqft.

When my furnace turns on, it takes about 1 1/2 hours before I hear steam
hissing through my radiators and feel heat. I have 9 radiators in my house.
House is uninsulated, but will be soon.

Is this too long of a time for a furnace to burn before I can feel heat?
What is a normal range before I should get heat? I live in Boston and went
through 700 gallons of oil last winter ( very cold last year).

I know the system is old and I will weigh the options of furnace replacement
vs. oil price when I get some feedback.

Thank you.

Zypher

Vito;

You have a 'boiler' which heats water, which runs through baseboard heaters
or radiators. Each radiator should have a thermostat setting for that room.
I'd call your friendly neighborhood HVAC person, (and be sure to ask if he's
a licensed boiler mechanic). He can inspect and adjust your oil fired
boiler to its best running effiency.

--
Zyp
"Vito Cavallo" wrote in message

I have an old 1920's house with a big old rectangle oil furnace. The

system
is steam heat. The furnace is about 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 6 feet
long. House is 2 floors (plus finished attic), 1400 sqft.

When my furnace turns on, it takes about 1 1/2 hours before I hear steam
hissing through my radiators and feel heat. I have 9 radiators in my

house.
House is uninsulated, but will be soon.

Is this too long of a time for a furnace to burn before I can feel heat?
What is a normal range before I should get heat? I live in Boston and

went
through 700 gallons of oil last winter ( very cold last year).

I know the system is old and I will weigh the options of furnace

replacement
vs. oil price when I get some feedback.

Thank you.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vito Cavallo" wrote in message

I have an old 1920's house with a big old rectangle oil furnace. The

system
is steam heat. The furnace is about 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 6 feet
long. House is 2 floors (plus finished attic), 1400 sqft.

When my furnace turns on, it takes about 1 1/2 hours before I hear steam
hissing through my radiators and feel heat. I have 9 radiators in my

house.
House is uninsulated, but will be soon.

Is this too long of a time for a furnace to burn before I can feel heat?
What is a normal range before I should get heat? I live in Boston and

went
through 700 gallons of oil last winter ( very cold last year).

You don't have a furnace, you have a boiler. 700 gallons is not bad for an
average size house in your area. I'm 70 miles from you and burn that much
in a well insulated 2000 sq. ft. house.

Yes, 90 minutes is much too long to hear steam. There could be a couple of
problems. First, the burner must be firing at capacity. No restrictions on
the oil flow, no clogs in the flue.

Next is the water level. Steam boilers must have some head space at the top
of the heating drum for the steam. It should NOT be over filled and have
water in the pipes. Overfilling can occur if the feed vale has a slight
leak by and over the summer, it seeped in and filled the system. That would
make the boiler heat all the water and bubbles of steam would have to work
there way to the top to work properly. Is there a sight glass to show water
level? If you see nothing, it is either empty or overfilled. Either
condition is bad.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about, call a pro. You don't want to
take chances with a steam boiler. They are perfectly save, provide
excellent heat, but must be maintained.

Clark Griswold

I had the same heating system (one pipe steam) and the same age dwelling.
The steam boiler was installed around 1940 as a replacement for a gas/coal
system. Dumped it last year for a new boiler and fhw baseboard.

An hour and a half is a tad to excessive. It should only take less than
fifteen minutes for the air vents to start hissing.

It could be any number of a hundred or so things that could be wrong - pipe
insulation, air vents, main vent, dirty combustion chamber, etc.

http://www.heatinghelp.com. is full of valuable info. You could post your
question on "The Wall".

One thing you should think about doing is have a *steam* heating pro clean
and check out the system.

[...]

m Ransley

As Clark Griswald said alot of things to consider. Inulate now and if
you replace the unit size it with future insulation factored in the
calculation. Is boiler and piping insulated, are vents old and hiss.
You don`t want this as vap[or escapes requiring makeup water. Does
boiler require makup water every cycle? , Not good. Is heat even. Steam
needs attention for set up and maintenance and can throw off efficiency.
You need a good tech and need to learn your system. 1 1/2 hrs is to
long to generate steam.