DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Number of return vents vs. supply vents (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/76867-number-return-vents-vs-supply-vents.html)

jeff November 8th 04 04:36 AM

Number of return vents vs. supply vents

The rooms in my new townhouse each have two forced air supply vents per room
but have only 1 return vent per room. Is not having the same amount of
return vents as supply vents in each room problematic or is this normal?

Jeff

TURTLE November 8th 04 05:15 AM

"jeff" wrote in message
. net...
The rooms in my new townhouse each have two forced air supply vents per room
but have only 1 return vent per room. Is not having the same amount of return
vents as supply vents in each room problematic or is this normal?

Jeff

This is Turtle.

The ideal of number of outlets or returns has no meaning at all unless you state
the size of each in respect to each and the number of each. I can have 1 return
20" X 20" and take care of 24 -- 6" discharge registers. Now I can have a 12" X
12" return in a room and it will take care of 8 -- 6" Discharge registers.

I have a discharge and return register charting page where you can figure your
sizes out if you like. I'll send it to you if you like. Let me know.

TURTLE

John Hines November 8th 04 02:26 PM

"Art" wrote:

You have a return vent in every room? Pretty amazing. Around here you are
lucky if you get 2 per floor.

In my quotes for a new furnace system, I'm having the return duct work
changed, so that there is a hot and cold (lo and hi) return ducts.

Since my existing work uses the wall cavity for a return, this is mostly
punching some new holes in the drywall. Hopefully, this will improve the
A/C performance, by allowing the hot air that rises to the ceiling to be
re-circulated.

John Hines November 8th 04 05:04 PM

"Art" wrote:

I've never liked the idea of using a wall cavity for the return. Seems to
me it is full of construction dust and is likely to leak to the attic.

Yeah, but it is what I've got to work with.

I'll pop for a 'duct cleaning' once I'm done with the construction
stuff.

PJX November 9th 04 04:05 PM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 04:36:35 GMT, "jeff"
wrote:

The rooms in my new townhouse each have two forced air supply vents per room
but have only 1 return vent per room. Is not having the same amount of
return vents as supply vents in each room problematic or is this normal?

Jeff

I have a single common return (20x25") for my 4 bedroom house. The
doors of the bedrooms are cut a little short to allow air return.

I suspect your returns are fine.