DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Question - More Insulation (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/76812-question-more-insulation.html)

Dave Gallant November 6th 04 12:25 PM

Question - More Insulation

Greetings:

I have only 6-9" of batt insulation currently in my attic (east coast
of Canada). For a while, I've been waffling over what to put on top in
order to increase the depth. Some friends recommend more batts (laid
perpendicular to what is there), while others recommend loose-fill.

Any recommendations? It's not much more than a crawl space up there,
even though the attic is about 1000sq ft. I could do the batts myself,
but I'd be a little unsure about the loose-fill.

Pros and cons of each? Concerns over covering up wiring?

Thanks,

Dave

Joseph Meehan November 6th 04 12:29 PM

Dave Gallant wrote:
Greetings:

I have only 6-9" of batt insulation currently in my attic (east coast
of Canada). For a while, I've been waffling over what to put on top in
order to increase the depth. Some friends recommend more batts (laid
perpendicular to what is there), while others recommend loose-fill.

Any recommendations? It's not much more than a crawl space up there,
even though the attic is about 1000sq ft. I could do the batts myself,
but I'd be a little unsure about the loose-fill.

Pros and cons of each? Concerns over covering up wiring?

Thanks,

Dave

Both are good.

In either case you want to make sure you do not block vents. Every
important.

Batts may be easier to add, or may not

loose-fill has a tendency to fill in small spaces and seal air leaks,
which is good.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley November 6th 04 01:00 PM

6-9" = r 21- r 34, minimal and well below the optimum for your area,
add another R 35 in batt or fiberglass blown in. Cellulose is junk and
serttles and deteriorates. Also calculate in 15% settling of new
insulation so add an extra 15% over R 35. Price out what is cheaper,
batt or blown in. Don`t worry about wires.

Bob November 6th 04 08:02 PM

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Don`t worry about wires.

If the wiring is old knob and tube wiring - don't cover it.

Bob

m Ransley November 6th 04 09:02 PM

If the wiring is historic Knob and Tube REPLACE IT

Dave Gallant November 7th 04 10:42 AM

Good morning:

Thanks for the tips folks. It's only a 30 year old house, so the
wiring is pretty good. I'll get quotes on both and take it from there
price-wise.

Cheers,

Dave