DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   freezer doesn't stay cold---sizzling noise (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/75951-freezer-doesnt-stay-cold-sizzling-noise.html)

Matt November 5th 04 01:26 AM

freezer doesn't stay cold---sizzling noise

I have a Philco No-Frost side-by-side refrigerator/freezer bought in 1970.

The freezer does not stay cold enough. I am using a freezer alarm that
goes off when the temperature gets above 15 deg F:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page... &ccurrency=2
I can't get the freezer to stay below 15 degrees for more than a few
hours. I wrapped the alarm sensor in foam and put it at the bottom of
the freezer, consistent with the instructions.

With the freezer door open, sometimes I notice a boiling or sizzling
sound just like the sound of water dripping into a hot skillet or onto a
hot stove. Is it supposed to make that noise?

Tony Hwang November 5th 04 01:45 AM

Matt wrote:
I have a Philco No-Frost side-by-side refrigerator/freezer bought in 1970.

The freezer does not stay cold enough. I am using a freezer alarm that
goes off when the temperature gets above 15 deg F:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page... &ccurrency=2

I can't get the freezer to stay below 15 degrees for more than a few
hours. I wrapped the alarm sensor in foam and put it at the bottom of
the freezer, consistent with the instructions.

With the freezer door open, sometimes I notice a boiling or sizzling
sound just like the sound of water dripping into a hot skillet or onto a
hot stove. Is it supposed to make that noise?

Hi,
Make sure fan and defroster heater is working normal.
Tony

Matt November 5th 04 02:06 AM

Tony Hwang wrote:
Matt wrote:

I have a Philco No-Frost side-by-side refrigerator/freezer bought in
1970.

The freezer does not stay cold enough. I am using a freezer alarm
that goes off when the temperature gets above 15 deg F:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page... &ccurrency=2

I can't get the freezer to stay below 15 degrees for more than a few
hours. I wrapped the alarm sensor in foam and put it at the bottom of
the freezer, consistent with the instructions.

With the freezer door open, sometimes I notice a boiling or sizzling
sound just like the sound of water dripping into a hot skillet or onto
a hot stove. Is it supposed to make that noise?

Hi,
Make sure fan and defroster heater is working normal.
Tony

Thanks.

The freezer fan turns sometimes anyway.

I don't know how to check the defroster heater. The freezer does not
have any frost buildup. Does that mean the heater works?

Matt

Chris Hill November 5th 04 02:42 PM

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:26:56 GMT, Matt
wrote:

I have a Philco No-Frost side-by-side refrigerator/freezer bought in 1970.

The freezer does not stay cold enough. I am using a freezer alarm that
goes off when the temperature gets above 15 deg F:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page... &ccurrency=2
I can't get the freezer to stay below 15 degrees for more than a few
hours. I wrapped the alarm sensor in foam and put it at the bottom of
the freezer, consistent with the instructions.

If it is really that old, quit wasting time and electricity on it.
Even a new 10-year-old unit will likely use much less energy.