Joseph Blow

Default Help diagnosing mysterious orange stuff on grout

Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of the orange stuff depicted here
is?

http://someways.net/weird.jpg

I've tried to remove it with tile/grout cleaner, bleach, etc. I can make it
go 75% away, but it comes back after a couple of weeks. I suspect some type
of moisture problem from under the tile... I do know that there is no
problem with standing water on top...

Thanks for your help -

Camster

From: "Joseph

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of the orange stuff depicted here
is?

http://someways.net/weird.jpg

Looks like hard water stain or rust to me.
"It's easier to leave than to be left behind"

Joseph Blow

Camster, Thanks -

If so, would I need to remove the tile to get rid of it?

I wondered if there was some nail rust underneath that was seeping, but that
would mean that I have a moisture problem, I assume...

" Looks like hard water stain or rust to me.
"It's easier to leave than to be left behind"

m Ransley

Spray with bleach. If it changes color it is mold. Then spray with
bleach more often till you kill it. Bleach is the best way to kill mold,
it kills the plant-growth by removing its oxygen.

Bleach - molds enemy, mans friend.

dadiOH

Joseph Blow wrote:
Hi All,
=20
Does anyone have any idea what the cause of the orange stuff
depicted here is?
=20
http://someways.net/weird.jpg
=20
I've tried to remove it with tile/grout cleaner, bleach, etc. I
can make it go 75% away, but it comes back after a couple of weeks.
I suspect some type of moisture problem from under the tile... I do
know that there is no problem with standing water on top...

You could check to see if it is rust by using a bit of any of many =
products that remove same. If it *is* rust I can't imagine where it is =
coming from. Where is the tile and why would moisture be entering from =
the bottom? Is the tile on wood? cement board?

--=20
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Jmagerl

Looks like rust to me too. Iron out is a good product to try to see if its
iron stain. Maybe your grout needs sealing?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Brikp

OK, So, two opinions here. Its either rust or mold. Try straight bleach
first. If that does not remove it then try CLR. One of the two will most
likely clean it. Get it perfectly clean and dry then seal it. Worst case you
may need to get a grout saw, scrape out the grout and re-grout it. No need
to remove any tile.

"Joseph Blow" wrote in message
Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of the orange stuff depicted here
is?

http://someways.net/weird.jpg

I've tried to remove it with tile/grout cleaner, bleach, etc. I can make
it go 75% away, but it comes back after a couple of weeks. I suspect some
type of moisture problem from under the tile... I do know that there is no
problem with standing water on top...

Thanks for your help -

Dorot29701

I get something similar sometimes. The only thing that helps is to treat the
grout with a product that kills calcium, rust or lime scale. There are various
products -
The Works (cheapest and seems to work fine), Lime Away, CLR (most expensive and
didn't work any better than cheapest for me), store brand Lime Remover product.

Bleach didn't help mine at all.