DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shotgun house - type of construction ??????? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/75938-shotgun-house-type-construction.html)

Conase November 4th 04 06:57 PM

Shotgun house - type of construction ???????

I was watching House Detective on my local HGTV channel.

They inspected a house in New Orleans called a SHOTGUN HOUSE.
No problem since I am from Louisiana and know about them.

However the inspector said, " When you see the window and door frames sticking
3 inches INTO the room, it is an example of __________ construction. There are
NO 2 X 4s in the walls, etc."

I was unable to catch the NAME of this type of construction.
I had never heard of it before.
I Googled "shotgun house" and got no info.

Anyone know what TYPE of construction this is ??
Just like we say STICK framing or BALOON framing, what type is this ???

TIA

Arty The Chief November 4th 04 08:24 PM

3 inches INTO the room, it is an example of __________ construction.

****ty

John Keiser November 4th 04 08:53 PM

In Hawaii it would be "single-wall" construction. House made without 2X4
but with 1X8 redwood.
Pretty much phased out now but plenty of examples still standing.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

William Brown November 4th 04 09:17 PM

Post and beam construction often looks like that. They also do pole
buildings that don't have the typical framing, but I don't know if they
used that for homes; more often barns and garages.

Conase wrote:
I was watching House Detective on my local HGTV channel.

They inspected a house in New Orleans called a SHOTGUN HOUSE.
No problem since I am from Louisiana and know about them.

However the inspector said, " When you see the window and door frames sticking
3 inches INTO the room, it is an example of __________ construction. There are
NO 2 X 4s in the walls, etc."

I was unable to catch the NAME of this type of construction.
I had never heard of it before.
I Googled "shotgun house" and got no info.

Anyone know what TYPE of construction this is ??
Just like we say STICK framing or BALOON framing, what type is this ???

TIA

there.

Colbyt November 5th 04 12:08 AM

"Conase" wrote in message
I was watching House Detective on my local HGTV channel.

They inspected a house in New Orleans called a SHOTGUN HOUSE.
No problem since I am from Louisiana and know about them.

However the inspector said, " When you see the window and door frames

sticking
3 inches INTO the room, it is an example of __________ construction. There

are
NO 2 X 4s in the walls, etc."

I was unable to catch the NAME of this type of construction.
I had never heard of it before.
I Googled "shotgun house" and got no info.

Anyone know what TYPE of construction this is ??
Just like we say STICK framing or BALOON framing, what type is this ???

TIA

Box framed construction is the term I think you are looking for. Built just
like an old wooden box.

Colbyt

Jeff Cochran November 5th 04 11:54 AM

On 04 Nov 2004 18:57:31 GMT, (Conase) wrote:

I was watching House Detective on my local HGTV channel.

They inspected a house in New Orleans called a SHOTGUN HOUSE.
No problem since I am from Louisiana and know about them.

However the inspector said, " When you see the window and door frames sticking
3 inches INTO the room, it is an example of __________ construction. There are
NO 2 X 4s in the walls, etc."

I was unable to catch the NAME of this type of construction.
I had never heard of it before.
I Googled "shotgun house" and got no info.

Anyone know what TYPE of construction this is ??
Just like we say STICK framing or BALOON framing, what type is this ???

Single-wall may be the term you're looking for, though I didn't see
the episode. Basically one-by planks make up the wall, interior and
exterior surface being two sides of the same board. Common in a lot
of mid-1800's temporary or worker housing, though I doubt there's much
of it left in most areas. The ones I've seen now have surface-mount
electric added, but rarely heat/air or other amenities.

Jeff

Max November 5th 04 03:42 PM

"Conase" wrote in message
I was watching House Detective on my local HGTV channel.

They inspected a house in New Orleans called a SHOTGUN HOUSE.
No problem since I am from Louisiana and know about them.

However the inspector said, " When you see the window and door frames

sticking
3 inches INTO the room, it is an example of __________ construction. There

are
NO 2 X 4s in the walls, etc."

I was unable to catch the NAME of this type of construction.
I had never heard of it before.
I Googled "shotgun house" and got no info.

Anyone know what TYPE of construction this is ??
Just like we say STICK framing or BALOON framing, what type is this ???

TIA

I went to the HGTV web site and they listed Brett Zamore as the guest
architect on the Shotgun House episode (OHR-112). By email reply, Brett
said the following in response to your question:

"It's been a while since that episode was filmed. I don't understand the
quote...but the type of construction is purely a wood frame construction on
pier and beam. There ARE 2x4's in the walls..and wooden lath board that
covers the 2x4's for stabilitly and strength."

Casey November 5th 04 11:35 PM

Hi,
It's called box construction; it was practised from the 1880's onward.
Usually an effort to speed construction and save $$ on all those pesky
studs, plaster, etc.
1x12's were nailed directly to the rim joist and to a top plate. All the
structural integrity relies on the shear strength of the nails. In box
houses I've examined, the clapboards are nailed directly to the sheathing,
and the inteior was hung with muslin and then wallpapered (repeatedly).
These houses were problematic to wire (think wiremold) and of course were
only suited to warm climates beacuse there was no place for insulation.
They could be built in any single-story floorplan, with rather complex
rooflines.
They can be retrofitted with studs if the structure is not too far gone. The
typical example will be 100 yrs old by now...
Casey

Conase November 5th 04 11:43 PM

"Conase" wrote in message
[...]

OP here

WOW, thanks for the followup.

I did not tape the episode since I was home and cancelled the taping.
If I had taped it, I would be able to replay it to check it out.

On the program, the inspector said there were NO 2 X 4s in the wall and I
"think" compared it to PLYWOOD for the wall which was not invented back in
those days.

Thanks for the followup.

Chet Hayes November 6th 04 02:01 AM

"Max" wrote in message ...
"Conase" wrote in message
[...]

Were 2X4's common in the civil war era? That's when the house that
was on the episode under discussion was said to have been built. I
saw it too and remember as the OP did, that it was referred to as some
type of different construction technique, but the exact term escapes
me too.

Brad Bruce November 6th 04 04:17 AM

Chet Hayes wrote:
"Max" wrote in message ...

"Conase" wrote in message

[...]

I remember the This Old House episodes of a "Shotgun Double". I remeber
hearing the term there as well.

After I DAGS, I found this
http://www.latech.edu/tech/liberal-a...lk_housing.htm

Hopefully something will ring a bell.