mcp6453

Default Plumbing Problem

My home was built with Qwest PB pipe. When it failed, the company paid
to have my house replumbed in copper. Since then, whenever we turn on
the hot water spigot, particularly in the bathrooms, there is a small
burst of air. There are no plumbing leaks. Someone told me that there is
a cannister of some sort in the line that elinates the problem, and that
the cannister is bad, but I cannot remember what it is. Can someone
explain the source of the problem?
Speedy Jim

mcp6453 wrote:

My home was built with Qwest PB pipe. When it failed, the company paid
to have my house replumbed in copper. Since then, whenever we turn on
the hot water spigot, particularly in the bathrooms, there is a small
burst of air. There are no plumbing leaks. Someone told me that there is
a cannister of some sort in the line that elinates the problem, and that
the cannister is bad, but I cannot remember what it is. Can someone
explain the source of the problem?

May have been thinking of a thermal expansion tank:
http://www.zurn.com/pages/catalog.as...OperationID=11
Look at Model HXT.

Mineral conditions inside the water heater may be producing
small amounts of gas (not air) which rises to the top of the tank.
I'm not sure that an exp tank will solve that.

If your water source is a well, I would suspect gases produced
from interaction with the magnesium anode rod.

Offhand I can't see a connection to the piping replacement.

Jim

mcp6453

Speedy Jim wrote:

mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

It may not be related. How do I troubleshoot? Replace the expansion
tank? The water heater is about two years old. We're on city water, not
a well.

Thanks.
Speedy Jim

mcp6453 wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:

mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

It already has an expansion tank? I would put a pressure gauge
on the tank (at the drain cock) and watch the pressure as the
heater fires (with no water being used). If pressure goes up
sharply, the exp tank may be bad or need air. I'm grasping
at straws, not being there to see it.

Ask neighbors if they have any similar problems.

Jim