DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gazing compound softened by primer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/75250-gazing-compound-softened-primer.html)

Bob K 207 October 31st 04 03:14 AM

Gazing compound softened by primer

I just recently replaced several window panes (neighbor kid busy with a BB
gun)

I used the DAP 33 glazing compound. I let the compound dry for several weeks
with the window sashes stored in the garage in SoCal.

Today I finally got around to priming & painting. The compound was still very
slightly soft to the touch.

I was too lazy to go buy some "regular" oil based primer so I used some Zinsser
High Hide Interior/Exterior "oil base primer" that I had left over from some
work a few weeks ago.

I primed at about 2:30 today & at 7 pm the primer on the glazing compound is
still tacky to the touch and the compound feels a little softer than before
priming. The air temp was about 70 deg

Am I being too impatient? Did the Zinsser soften the compund? The Zinsser that
I put on wood at the same time is more or less dry but the primer on the
glazing compound is not.

Comments? Suggestions?

I setup a fan to blow across the sashes hopefully it will be drier in the AM.

thanks
Bob

m Ransley October 31st 04 01:36 PM

Wait a day

dadiOH October 31st 04 04:01 PM

Bob K 207 wrote:
I just recently replaced several window panes (neighbor kid busy
with a BB gun)
=20
[...]

Glazing putty is linseed oil and something (usually whiting). Oil paint =
is linseed oil and other stuff.

For paint to dry, the linseed oil has to set up (polymerize?). The =
linseed oil in the putty is slowing it down a bit. As Ransley said, =
"wait".

--=20
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...