Howie

Default sticking storm door pushbutton latch

I have a 2" thick steel storm door that needed the handle replaced (I bought
a "National" pushbutton latch). When I tighten everything up, the button
sticks so that when you push it in, it doesn't push back out. When it is
assembled together (off the door), it works fine.... any ideas / tips
/comments / suggestions?

Howie

Joe Bobst

When I tighten everything up, the button sticks

Sounds like a faulty design. The bezels may be so flimsy that the slightest
variation in tightening jams the button. Try other designs from better hardware
stores. Go for a heavier, probably pricier assembly. Good luck.

Joe

Perry Templeton

If it's anything like the f**ked up instructions we got on our last storm
door installation...here goes. The illustration showed the spring under the
wrong side of the mechanism. The spring goes under the knob, on the
outside. The flipper handle on the inside of the door goes flat up against
the door and IF you follow instructions AND illustrations, the spring is
pinched under the inside flipper handle. If you throw away the faulty,
retarded instructions and put the spring under the knob, you should be
fine.. We had exactly the same symptoms you describe and when we put the
spring under the knob, voila!!
HTH
Perry
link.net...