T.T.

Default The gap between wall and hardwood floor, which caulk to use??

Hi, all:

Sorry I'm a beginner level DIY-er. Recently we had our hardwood floor
sanded and refinished. After it was done, we found that the hardwood
floor now has a "gap" at the edges of the floor and the wall (probably
drywall, not sure what is the material). I'm thinking of doing some
caulking but don't know which kind of caulk I should apply, any
suggestions? Thanks!
m Ransley

A gap is necessary for expansion in humid weather. Dont you have
baseboard moulding over the floor. Caulk it tight and it is possible to
have problems. Someone instaled a wood floor where I now live in low
humidity to the wall, in summer it buckled up 4 inches, It had to be
junked.

default

Do not caulk there. It will be an ugly mess. Add quarter-round.

sanded and refinished. After it was done, we found that the hardwood
floor now has a "gap" at the edges of the floor and the wall (probably
drywall, not sure what is the material). I'm thinking of doing some

How big a gap, and where does it go? If it's a big enough gap,
and it leads to an air-space, or down through the subfloor, or anywhere
else it's likely to be a entrypoint for drafts of vermin, then you might
stuff it with weatherstripping and THEN cover it with molding.

--Goedjn