Dave

Default Considering a home addition

I'm considering a simple home addition and would like to be able to
come up with a simple rough estimate. The house is single storey with
a peaky A-frame attic and is 30 ft wide at the base of the end that I
would be extending. I would like to take that end out another 24 feet.
That means-

80 lineal feet of concrete footing.
80 lineal feet of exterior framing and sheathing.
1350 square feet of rough flooring.
875 square feet of roof and roofing.

If I carry on like this and calculate the materials cost at Home Depot
prices will that result in a somewhat meaningful number?

Thanks!

Dave
Brikp

Depending on location, finish materials selection, and mechanicals (Kitchen,
bath, etc) you will be looking at between $65 - $200 per sq. foot. of new
space. 30*24 = 720
720 * $65 = $46,800
720 * $200 = $144,000

My guess is you will be somewhere in between to have your addition built.

stone and brick cost more than vinyl siding
tile cost more than carpet for floors
faux painting costs more than builder white everywhere
kitchens and baths cost more than no kitchens and baths
basement costs more than slab
slate roof costs more than 3 tab shingles

There are lots of variables. No one here can tell you for sure. We can tell
you that your approach to figuring a price will not work well.

Also, dont forget the unforseen. What if when you prep you existing
structure to recieve the new and you discover that the foundation is
crumbling? Will current elec service, septic, water etc handle your
expansion?

You can ask some folks that have done additions that you like, and are
similar to what you envision, how much they spent per sq ft. Use that as a
ballpark number to see if you are pricing yourself out of the neighborhood.

"Dave" wrote in message
I'm considering a simple home addition and would like to be able to
come up with a simple rough estimate. The house is single storey with
a peaky A-frame attic and is 30 ft wide at the base of the end that I
would be extending. I would like to take that end out another 24 feet.
That means-

80 lineal feet of concrete footing.
80 lineal feet of exterior framing and sheathing.
1350 square feet of rough flooring.
875 square feet of roof and roofing.

If I carry on like this and calculate the materials cost at Home Depot
prices will that result in a somewhat meaningful number?

Thanks!

Dave

SQLit

"Dave" wrote in message
I'm considering a simple home addition and would like to be able to
come up with a simple rough estimate. The house is single storey with
a peaky A-frame attic and is 30 ft wide at the base of the end that I
would be extending. I would like to take that end out another 24 feet.
That means-

80 lineal feet of concrete footing.
80 lineal feet of exterior framing and sheathing.
1350 square feet of rough flooring.
875 square feet of roof and roofing.

If I carry on like this and calculate the materials cost at Home Depot
prices will that result in a somewhat meaningful number?

Thanks!

Dave

I think that the $65.00 a foot is a little low. Since the war concrete,
lumber and plywood have jumped 20-40% depending on where you get the stuff.
A friend wanted to pour an simple pad in his back yard. Cheapest concrete he
could find was HD @ $136.00 a yard used to be $85.00

You forgot the stem wall, insulation, windows, wall board, electrical,
plumbing?, paint, exterior siding and the list goes on.
Results will vary depending on where you live