Harry

Default Tool advice

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me to
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

Warren Weber

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me

the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some

suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

I have had good performance with Milwaukee and Makita brands. Warren

Paul O.

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me
to the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D)
power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some
suggestions (Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill
saw, jig saw,...) the works.

You can go to rec.woodworking and find an awful lot of info. Try a google
search on different tools for that group and you will see a lot of
discussion on them.
--
Paul O.

PaPaPeng

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:49:50 -0400, "Harry"
wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me to
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

Other than for circular hand saws go pneumatic tools for everything
else. They are light, safe, self cleaning, variable power and don't
burn out when they stall. Plus you get tools that electric powered
ones can't do.
Phisherman

wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me to
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

Why? The old B&D power tools were well-built. I still have a B&D
palm sander. Last year my 35 year old B&D died, and I replaced it
with a Milwaukee that has a larger chuck. Makita brand power tools
are very good. Porter Cable, Bosch and DeWalt are better than
average. Cordless tools are rather expensive and it is rare they last
longer than a few years. In recent years I have been moving toward
pneumatic tools rather than cordless.

Ron

What's the point of replacing them if they work? I have an old B&D scroll
saw that's actually made of metal and has been with me for at least 25 years
and it appears to be better made than what I see today.
Ron

news
wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me

the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D)

power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some

suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

Why? The old B&D power tools were well-built. I still have a B&D
palm sander. Last year my 35 year old B&D died, and I replaced it
with a Milwaukee that has a larger chuck. Makita brand power tools
are very good. Porter Cable, Bosch and DeWalt are better than
average. Cordless tools are rather expensive and it is rare they last
longer than a few years. In recent years I have been moving toward
pneumatic tools rather than cordless.

TURTLE

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me to
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig saw,...)
the works.

This is Turtle.

Look the tools that you have and look at the age and how well they held up. Pick
the name of the tools you have that you think held up the best and use that
brand. I use to use nothing but the high dollar stuff in my HVAC business but
I've come to the conclusion that B & D and Skill run just like the other if you
really take care of them. Now I do still use the Porter Cable recept saw for
they seem to hold up the best.

TURTLE

Harry

"Warren Weber" wrote in message

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me

the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D)
power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some

suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

I have had good performance with Milwaukee and Makita brands. Warren

Makita seems to be very popular. Though they are kind of pricey.

Harry

"Paul O." wrote in message

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me
to the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D)
power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some
suggestions (Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill
saw, jig saw,...) the works.

You can go to rec.woodworking and find an awful lot of info. Try a google
search on different tools for that group and you will see a lot of
discussion on them.

Thanks, I'll take a look at rec.woodworking.

Harry

wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some
suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

Other than for circular hand saws go pneumatic tools for everything
else. They are light, safe, self cleaning, variable power and don't
burn out when they stall. Plus you get tools that electric powered
ones can't do.

I never thought of that. Any particular brand?

Harry

wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some
suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

Why? The old B&D power tools were well-built. I still have a B&D
palm sander. Last year my 35 year old B&D died, and I replaced it
with a Milwaukee that has a larger chuck. Makita brand power tools
are very good. Porter Cable, Bosch and DeWalt are better than
average. Cordless tools are rather expensive and it is rare they last
longer than a few years. In recent years I have been moving toward
pneumatic tools rather than cordless.

Some of them need replacing (triggers broken, etc.) I actually took a look
at B&D again, but was told that they are no longer considered a "good"
brand, just like Skill, Ryobi, etc. Makita seems to be a brand many are
quck to recommend. You are the second person to mention pneumatic tools.
I'll have to take a look at them.

Harry

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me
to the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D)
power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some
suggestions (Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill
saw, jig saw,...) the works.

This is Turtle.

Look the tools that you have and look at the age and how well they held
up. Pick the name of the tools you have that you think held up the best
and use that brand. I use to use nothing but the high dollar stuff in my
HVAC business but I've come to the conclusion that B & D and Skill run
just like the other if you really take care of them. Now I do still use
the Porter Cable recept saw for they seem to hold up the best.

Actually, everything I have is B&D. They were very popular for the home
owner/amateur fixer-upper 25 yrs ago ;-) You are the first person to say
thet even the cheaper brands will do well if you take good care of them.
So, may be I should ust replace the failing tools with the same brand.
Hmm... not a bad idea.

Thanks.

Joe Fabeitz

Harry,
Unlike shoes and boots, relacing doesn't do much for power tools. You might
want to consider buying new ones. Porter Cable and Dewalt are pretty good.

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me

the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some

suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

dadiOH

wrote:

[...]

B&D has various lines (as do most others)...professional, homeowner, etc.
Their Pro stuff is as good as anyone elses. Also, you can replace triggers,
etc.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
____________________________

rotation slim

IMHO it all depends on what you are using the tools for. If you are a
carpenter and build houses you have very different needs than if you a
weekend hack (like myself) who uses the tools occasionally.

Being a weekend hack, and at the risk of offending the hardcores on
this board, I love cordless tools. I literally found a Dewalt
cordless drill 14.4v in the road about 7 years ago, bought a charger,
and have used it ever since. (felt bad for the poor chump who lost
it, put a sign up on a telephone pole near where I found it saying
"Tool Found and my phone # but no one ever called.) It is all a
matter of how much you plan to use them. I am starting to lust over
those matched sets at Home Depot, where you have a bunch of cordless
tools and they are all using the same batteries, I can see how that
would be nice.

Save the flames, I know I have revealed myself as a pretender by the
fact that I recomend: 1) cordless Tools 2) buying tools at Home Depot;
but it makes a lot of sense if you are like me, and only get to use
them occasionally for minor projects around the house, why buy an
Hummer H2 if I only drive around on city roads, sure it would look
cool, and I'd feel manly behind the wheel, but when I commute 60 miles
a day on city roads, it makes a lot more sense to get a Honda Accord.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Harry" wrote in message news:c47a2
Actually, everything I have is B&D. They were very popular for the home
owner/amateur fixer-upper 25 yrs ago ;-) You are the first person to say
thet even the cheaper brands will do well if you take good care of them.
So, may be I should ust replace the failing tools with the same brand.
Hmm... not a bad idea.

B & D is not the same quality today. I'd pass over them but they may hold
up for the occasional user. You won't see any tradesmen using them today.

Brikp

Harry - Might I suggest a slightly different approach.

Buy tools as you need them. When you need them buy the best quality you can
afford while considering the cost and actual likely use. Pneumatic is good.
Milwaukee, Makita are good. Cordless are good, corded are good. There are
too many options. If you post over on rec.woodworking at least one person
will ask you for the what do you need the tool for. The responses wont be
too helpful.

I'll give you an example. I am building a small shaker style end table. One
drawer, 18"x19" top and delicate tapered legs. There is this particular tool
that will be helpful in this endeavor and I will invest in it. For project
this its just a scraper, under $10, but I haven't needed one to date. I also
need a particular router bit with a profile I do not have.

You get the point.

If you MUST go and get an assortment of power tools I would consider the
Milwaukee 18v combo kit.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846

Dewalt is made by B&D.

Have fun

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me
to the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D)
power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some
suggestions (Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill
saw, jig saw,...) the works.

Edwin Pawlowski

"TURTLE" wrote in message

Look the tools that you have and look at the age and how well they held
up. Pick the name of the tools you have that you think held up the best
and use that brand.

That will work for some, but some brands have gone the high volume, low
quality route in recent years. B & D, Craftsman, are not the same as their
reputation from a quarter century ago. .

I've come to the conclusion that B & D and Skill run just like the other
if you really take care of them.

One of the woodworking magazines showed the difference between two brands,
Skil and Bosch, that are made by the same company. The bearings in the
Bosch were about twice the size of the cheaper one. The comutator on the
mot has twice the segments. For the guy that uses a router twice a year, it
may be OK, but it is not going to hold up and remain accurate for the
heavier user or for more critical applications.

Bo Williams

TURTLE wrote:

I use to use nothing but the high dollar stuff in my HVAC business but
I've come to the conclusion that B & D and Skill run just like the other if you
really take care of them.

Even if you're meticulously careful, you're eventually going to drop a
cordless drill from the top of a stepladder. You're also eventually
going to be in a position of pushing a tool slightly beyond what it's
designed to handle, because you misjudged what you'd need when you left
the shop, or whatever. I'd much rather drop or heat up a heavy duty tool.

Now you use your tools for a living and I almost never get paid to use
mine, but I still think you've been really lucky if you really are using
orange B&D and Skil tools satisfactorily in a contractor capacity. You
are BEGGING for that stuff to lay down on you at exactly the wrong time.

Now I do still use the Porter Cable recept saw for
they seem to hold up the best.

I have the Porter-Cable recip with two articulation points--can't
remember the cutesy marketing name for it--and I love it. You can get
in anywhere with that thing.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
Bo Williams

Harry wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point
me to the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old
(B&D) power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for
some suggestions (Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw,
skill saw, jig saw,...) the works.

Different lines have different strengths and weaknesses. If you have a
fetish to have all of your tools look the same, then you'll probably
still do all right, but you'll have a situation where you could have
made slightly better choices here and there.

Spend some time at Google Groups on this. There's enough information
already out there to last you the rest of the year in reading time.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/

Greg

wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me to
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

Other than for circular hand saws go pneumatic tools for everything
else. They are light, safe, self cleaning, variable power and don't
burn out when they stall. Plus you get tools that electric powered
ones can't do.

Everyone has different preferences, I guess. Although I don't have
much experience with air tools, I imagine they might be OK for a fixed
location. But do you really drag a compressor up to your bathroom (or
maybe a really long hose through the house) just to put up a shelf, or
hang a picture?

The power source for my tools is either IN the tool (cordless), or
available in every room of my house (outlets). The convenience of a
cordless drill is such that I hardly ever turn a screw by hand
anymore. I doubt that I would find an air tool so handy.

In fact, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea of getting a nail
gun, which I assumed would have to be an air tool. But now I see that
there are some models that use a fuel cell instead. I'm wondering if
they might be a good choice for my needs. (sporadic, home handyman
stuff). If I don't need a tether, I'm happy to do without it.

Greg Guarino
John Hines

"Harry" wrote:

I don't care for the flashlight and the Studfinder, but it comes with 2
batteries (which is good). My first impulse was, B&W is a descent band,
14.4 Volts sounds powerful enought, and the price is not bad. But when I
talked to the sales people and they told me, "... you really want to stay
away from B&D, you really want this 18 Volt Makita for $199,..." That
totally confused me.

B&D is a good brand, but it is the lower priced, homeowner brand. DeWalt
is the same company, and their pro line.

I as a home owner, have had good luck with the B&D versa pack system of
battery tools.

BTW, I hadn't though about the replacement part route. I'll try that, as
well - thanks!

That is the biggest difference between homeowner and pro tools, the
latter have a service network to keep them going, You might check on the
latter, since the Milwaukee dealer/service in my sells refurbished tools
as well as new.

TURTLE

"Harry" wrote in message
rvers.com...
"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
[...]

I use these tools in my HVAC business and I give them hell and they seem to do
well.

---Corded Drill 3/8" B & D .
---Cordless drill 18 volt B & D but use to use Porter Cable & DeWalt but they
cost more and I get the same time frame out of the B & D.
---circle saw 7.5" Corded Skill.
---Recept saw Porter cable corded is good but Milwakee sure is nice.
---Jig Saw B & D .

These are the ones i see that will last me for 2 to 3 years but I can buy the
high dollar stuff and go maybe 3 or 4 years. The price of the high dollar stuff
it just too great to pay when I get very little time difference out of the ones
listed here.

This is some ideal for heavy use and very abusive to them when working with
them.

TURTLE

willshak

wrote:

[...]

You forgot another option. If you have to do some work way out in the
back yard and you don't have an extension cord long enough, you can drag
the generator out there to power the air compressor that you dragged out
there, so you can use the air driven tool. :-)
davefr

Corded drill - Milwaukie
Cordless drill - Panasonic
Skill saw - PC Sawboss or Skill 77 if you want a monster
Reciprocating Saw - Bosch
Jig Saw - Delta

As you can see there is no one perfect brand. You need to choose each
tool individually. These are my favorites but do your own research.

"Harry" wrote in message rvers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me to
the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D) power
tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some suggestions
(Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill saw, jig
saw,...) the works.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg" wrote in message

In fact, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea of getting a nail
gun, which I assumed would have to be an air tool. But now I see that
there are some models that use a fuel cell instead. I'm wondering if
they might be a good choice for my needs. (sporadic, home handyman
stuff). If I don't need a tether, I'm happy to do without it.

Greg Guarino

An air sander needs lot of air to operate OTOH, a nail gun needs very
little and only for a second at a time. Two options. Buy a small portable
compressor. Porter Cable has some kits that have the nail gun and a pancake
compressor that is a great starting tool.

The other option is a portable air tank that you'd fill from the shop
compressor. It is good for probably 75 or 100 shots before you'd have to
re-fill it.

As for other tools, I'm not at all interested in air because of the
restrictions and the size compressor I'd need to operate them. I have
battery drills and like them very much. I have air nailers, but they are
used only in the shop.
Ed

PaPaPeng

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:36:12 -0400, "Harry"
wrote:

Other than for circular hand saws go pneumatic tools for everything
else. They are light, safe, self cleaning, variable power and don't
burn out when they stall. Plus you get tools that electric powered
ones can't do.

I never thought of that. Any particular brand?

Nope. Just don't get an oiless compressor. Mine is but the feedback
is that its not durable and its noisy. Get at least 5 HP with a large
tank. Pneumatic tools are also intrinsically safe. You can even use
them in wet environments.

As for the hand tools they are so cheap nowadays its a miracle how the
manufacturers make any money. But cheap doesn't mean crappy. For most
household chores the cheap stuff is perfectly good. They are precision
made and work like a charm. If you need the heavy duty stuff such as
a construction nailer then go for the high end pricey tools.
PaPaPeng

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:05:43 -0400, willshak
wrote:

You forgot another option. If you have to do some work way out in the
back yard and you don't have an extension cord long enough, you can drag
the generator out there to power the air compressor that you dragged out
there, so you can use the air driven tool. :-)

Uhuh. The voltage drop from using a long extension chord was enough
to trip the breaker frequently. Plus I hate having to unravel a long
reel of cord and rewind afterwards. Did that for some years because I
was using an electric lawn mower. I've a gas powered one now. If it
drizzles its unsafe to use electrical (mains) tools outside.

On air tools use a long hose. There is no pressure drop and the tools
work at full power at any location. There doesn't exist a tool that
will do everything. My electric screw driver and cordless drill are
indispensible tools. It'll be crazy to drag around a compressor and
break out the pneumatic tools for such simple tasks. But for many
other applications pneumatic tools are ideal and a joy to use.

Brikp

I own and like the air tools too. I got a deal on a good compressor and
added air tools as my situation dictated. I now have a brad nailer, 15g
angle finish nailer, stapler and framing nailer and paint sprayer. Bought
one at a time as I had a need for them. Porter cable has some nice starter
outfits for a good price that may get you started.

"Harry" wrote in message
rvers.com...
Very good suggestion. No, I don;t need to get an assortment, unles the
price (for the collection) is so much better and I was going to replace a
number of tools, anyway. I'l also look into the pneumatic tools, since
many seem to think they are a better choice.

--

"Brikp" wrote in message
[...]

"Harry" wrote in message
vers.com...
I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point me
to the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old (B&D)
power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for some
suggestions (Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw, skill
saw, jig saw,...) the works.

willshak

My powered hand held tools. All are corded except the Ryobi. Most of the
Craftsman tools are 15 -20 years old.

Craftsman: Scroll saw, 1/2" drill, 3/8" vsr drill/driver, 3" belt
sander, Pad sander, Router.
Makita: Palm sander, Reciprocating saw, Drywall screwdriver
Ryobi: 18v cordless vsr drill/driver
B&D: 7-1/4" circular saw.
Skil: Worm drive circular saw.
Rotozip: Original, bought from TV when first advertised.

John Hines

"Harry" wrote:

I have heard mixed reviews about the Dewalt (isn't that the B&D high end,
nowadays?). Don;t know much about the Porte Cable, but I'll look into that.

Porter Cable is big in routers and wood working tools.

SteveB

Tool advice from this gearhead:

Educate yourself as to what it is you need. Shop price so you know what any
particular tool sells for.

THEN buy the best you can afford, but if you know what you need and what
they usually cost, you can always get a deal, second hand, etc.

Buy with the anticipation of what you will need a year from now. Lots of
times, when you get to working with the tools, you will discover that the
light duty smaller tools won't cut it once you really start to apply them.
Then you will have to buy bigger and better, and will have to take a beating
$$ wise on the tools unless you picked them up at a good price.

Lastly, a guy can't have too many tools.

MHO from my experiences.

Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Hines" wrote in message

That is the biggest difference between homeowner and pro tools, the
latter have a service network to keep them going,

Don't you think the inside of the tools may differ a bit when the price
doubles?

I have a Ryobi cordless drill, Replaced the switch for $26 and the
batteries are also shot after 18 months. .

I have a Panasonic drill for $200 that is more powerful, lighter, has better
speed control, a one hand operating chuck, better feel overall.

They Ryobi is good for the guy that drill a hole a month and drive four
screws a month. You don't see them being used very often by the pros though.

Bo Williams

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I have a Panasonic drill for $200 that is more powerful, lighter, has better
speed control, a one hand operating chuck, better feel overall.

I was all set to buy a Panasonic when my DeWalt DW972 died, but then
Costco had the NOS DW972 kit--the drill, the charger, two batteries, and
the case--for $67. So I had to buy another one. I'm already heavily
invested in DeWalt 12V stuff anyway, and I *do* like the drill, so it
made sense.

Panasonic does make killer cordless drills.

They Ryobi is good for the guy that drill a hole a month and drive four
screws a month. You don't see them being used very often by the pros though.

I used a 12V Ryobi around the house two or three times a month and it
was fine. Then I rebuilt/extended a 200' picket fence with it, and it
still worked, but it was noticeably weaker. I gave it to my sister when
she bought a house, and I think it did fine for her for another year or so.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
William Brown

This is not an easy question. Tradesmen are probably the only people
with experience with more than one brand of any given tool, and they use
the high end tools that most DIYs would not want to sink all their money
in, especially for tools that we use, frankly, rarely. A lot of
opinions are based on outdated information. Companies that once made
quality tools may now be making an inferior grade, so a DIY who swears
by his 25 year old B&D is telling the truth, but that opinion may not be
relevant to today's B&D. Few of us have had the opportunity to use
competing current versions of tools; where can you get that type of
information? I really don't know. I don't think you can tell by going
into HD and looking. Maybe try renting, but they seem to have only one
brand of any tool that they will rent.

I don't have many pneumatic tools; using them is just more hassle than
picking up a batteried tool; maybe if I were in more of a production
environment, pneumatic would be worth the cost and inconvenience, but I
don't think most DIYs are in that situation. I find myself spending
often on new hoses, and I don't think I get my money's worth out of that
type of tool.

Having said that, I have a Bosch belt sander that is a superb tool, and
a Makita palm sander that has worked well for many many years, but I
also have a Ryobi corded reciprocating saw (very light use) and
batteried drill (relatively heavy use), and both of these have lasted
well and do good work, yet Ryobi is often considered one of the low end
brands.

One suggestion I would make is that, if you are going to get some
batteried tools, get the highest voltage you can afford (18 is far far
better than 14), and try to find a brand that is good across the board,
so you can interchange batteries.

Harry wrote:

I don't know if this is the right newsgroup (if not, can someone point
me to the appropriate one?), but I'm thinkong of relacing all my old
(B&D) power tolls, and with all the choices nowadays, I was hoping for
some suggestions (Ver speed drill, cordless driver, reciprocating saw,
skill saw, jig saw,...) the works.

there.

John Hines

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message

That is the biggest difference between homeowner and pro tools, the
latter have a service network to keep them going,

Don't you think the inside of the tools may differ a bit when the price
doubles?

Certainly. My point is, pro tools are expected to be serviced and
repaired, and kept running. Home owner tools are more disposable, and
less thought is made for servicing them.

When I buy my tools at http://www.thetoolman.com (they are local to me),
and a Milwaukee service center, I know they will stand behind them,
more than a box store.

I certainly don't expect the same from the no-name (house brand)
imports, but they don't cost the same either.

Pros and consumers have differing goals with tools, and totally
differing opinions on price vs reliability and such.
JerryMouse

Greg wrote:

Other than for circular hand saws go pneumatic tools for everything
else. They are light, safe, self cleaning, variable power and don't
burn out when they stall. Plus you get tools that electric powered
ones can't do.

Everyone has different preferences, I guess. Although I don't have
much experience with air tools, I imagine they might be OK for a fixed
location. But do you really drag a compressor up to your bathroom (or
maybe a really long hose through the house) just to put up a shelf, or
hang a picture?

If you ever had to do any of those things in 100' of water, you'd appreciate
an air-hose.

Harry

wrote:

[...]

Well, you are talking to someone who just "pretends" to be a handyman :-)
Seriously, though, not having experience with brands, etc., it's hard to
tell whether some powertool is good, or a good value. COuple that with the
fact that many (most ?) sales people don't really know much about the tools
they are selling and... For example, HD has a set

Black & Decker GelMax 14.4 Volt Drill/Studfinder/Flashlight for $80

I don't care for the flashlight and the Studfinder, but it comes with 2
batteries (which is good). My first impulse was, B&W is a descent band,
14.4 Volts sounds powerful enought, and the price is not bad. But when I
talked to the sales people and they told me, "... you really want to stay
away from B&D, you really want this 18 Volt Makita for $199,..." That
totally confused me.

BTW, I hadn't though about the replacement part route. I'll try that, as
well - thanks!

Greg G

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:38:39 -0500, "JerryMouse"
wrote:

Greg wrote:

Other than for circular hand saws go pneumatic tools for everything
else. They are light, safe, self cleaning, variable power and don't
burn out when they stall. Plus you get tools that electric powered
ones can't do.

Everyone has different preferences, I guess. Although I don't have
much experience with air tools, I imagine they might be OK for a fixed
location. But do you really drag a compressor up to your bathroom (or
maybe a really long hose through the house) just to put up a shelf, or
hang a picture?

If you ever had to do any of those things in 100' of water, you'd appreciate
an air-hose.

We're a couple hundred feet above sea level here and the roof's been
OK so far. Thanks though.

Greg Guarino
Harry

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Harry" wrote in message news:c47a2
Actually, everything I have is B&D. They were very popular for the home
owner/amateur fixer-upper 25 yrs ago ;-) You are the first person to
say
thet even the cheaper brands will do well if you take good care of them.
So, may be I should ust replace the failing tools with the same brand.
Hmm... not a bad idea.

B & D is not the same quality today. I'd pass over them but they may hold
up for the occasional user. You won't see any tradesmen using them today.

That seems to be the trend, in general... I've actually gotten lots of
interesting responses, in this newsgroup, which is great. Based on what I've
seen so far, I think I'm better off spending a bit more and getting
makita(s) or equivalent.