Mike

Default Foundation piering/appraisal value

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. Looking for past
experiences and/or general feelings about the subject.

I have a house that has experienced flooding in the past leading to one half
of the house settling causing foundation and wall cracks, door misalignment,
etc. I am confident I can eliminate all but the most severe cases of excess
water getting near the house by landscaping.

Here's the question. How will getting the settled part of the house piered,
or not piered, effect the resale value? Will I get a dollar for dollar
return on the repair costs when I resell? The estimates I had from a couple
of years ago were in the $15,000 range. It has taken 2-3 years but the
settling has stopped. I'm just wondering if spending that kind of money will
remove the stigma already associated with the house or is it just a waste of
money.

Thanks
Mike

Tom Baker

"Mike" wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't know about stigma.
I should think a complete job is the only thing worth doing.
A small fee to an engineer would provide a report.
It would give a plan of action.
It could be shown to potential buyers and dispel any stigma.
TB

Mike

Already did the structural engineer report. He confirmed that the settling
was caused by excess soil moisture. He also recommended piering. I'm just
wondering if spending that money given the problems the house has had is
going to bring it back to full market value.

Mike

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Oscar_Lives

Either way you are screwed. Your house value is crap either way because no
one wants to buy a cracked and sinking house.

I agree that you will probably have better luck selling a COMPLETELY
repaired (and documented/warranted) house than a busted one. Either way,
you are going to lose your ass.

"Mike" wrote in message
Already did the structural engineer report. He confirmed that the settling
was caused by excess soil moisture. He also recommended piering. I'm just
wondering if spending that money given the problems the house has had is
going to bring it back to full market value.

Mike

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...