DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Funace Question... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/74354-funace-question.html)

sx460 October 23rd 04 09:17 PM

Funace Question...

Hello guys,

We're wanting to do our own funace installation. We're pretty handy but
we've never done a furnace installation before. We've got everything mapped
out and parted out and just need to order and install all the duct work.
Since it will be getting cold here over the next few weeks, we were hoping
that we could use the furnace while it's not hooked up to the duct work. In
other words, is it okay to run the furnace with no duct work going to it (be
it supply or return) just so we can create heat in the basement while we're
working? We'll have everything else hooked up correctly and permanently like
the supply air for the flame, vent pipping, gas hook up, and electrical...

Thanks!

SQLit October 23rd 04 09:40 PM

"sx460" wrote in message
[...]

Why not connect the trunk line first?
I would be worried about dirt and debris inside the unit if there was still
construction going on. What are you going to use for a thermostat? A toggle
switch?

Stormin Mormon October 23rd 04 10:52 PM

Yes, in the many years I've done HVAC, I've done that a couple times.
Usually we like to get the supply plenum hooked up. But I do remember the
one time it was cooking hot outside. The other guy and me had just hooked up
the copper to the outside condensing unit. We had a couple feet of supply
duct hooked up. One of us thought of firing that baby up to cool the cellar.
Worked slick as could be.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Red Neckerson October 24th 04 03:21 AM

"sx460" wrote in message
Hello guys,

We're wanting to do our own funace installation. We're pretty handy but
we've never done a furnace installation before. We've got everything
mapped
out and parted out and just need to order and install all the duct work.
Since it will be getting cold here over the next few weeks, we were hoping
that we could use the furnace while it's not hooked up to the duct work.
In
other words, is it okay to run the furnace with no duct work going to it
(be
it supply or return) just so we can create heat in the basement while
we're
working? We'll have everything else hooked up correctly and permanently
like
the supply air for the flame, vent pipping, gas hook up, and electrical...

Best thing to do is get a troll box for temporary installation.....

George C. Fahrlender October 25th 04 04:33 AM

Be sure to have a filter installed to prevent too much dust getting into
unit and keeping the system clean.

--
George Fahrlender
On-Location Services