DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Slip Proof stuff for wooden deck (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/74322-re-slip-proof-stuff-wooden-deck.html)

Edwin Pawlowski October 23rd 04 05:16 PM

Slip Proof stuff for wooden deck

wrote in message

I have considered using an oil based
floor and deck enamel, and spreading sand in top of it, then
repainting over the sand.

That works.

mark October 23rd 04 06:20 PM

I have considered using an oil based
floor and deck enamel, and spreading sand in top of it, then
repainting over the sand.

indoor outdoor carpet? Also, if you don't want to go the sand route --
there's paint with ground up rubber bits already in it. You just roll it
on.

stuff like this: http://www.allstatesign.com/anti_slip_paint.htm

Rick Shaw October 23rd 04 08:50 PM

Take a look at this: http://www.pro-tect.com/faqs_water_shield.shtml

Joe Bobst October 24th 04 01:22 AM

I have fallen quite a few times on it, and even fell over the edge twice
now.

Limit your intake to two beers before going outside. G

Anyone got any suggestions?

If you have a decent marina or boat shop/supply place in your venue, go down
and talk to the folks about antiskid coatings. Another possibility is an
industrial supply firm. Some products might cover over the wood look that you
like, but consider the jury awards if you have a litigious guest take a tumble.
Good luck and be safe.

Joe

William Brown October 24th 04 10:14 PM

wrote:

I have a wooden deck and whenever it gets wet from rain or dew it
becomes very slippery. I have fallen quite a few times on it, and
even fell over the edge twice now. This is dangerous and something
needs to be done about it.

I know someone that had a similar problem and got these glue on things
that look like coarse black sandpaper. They work, but dont last long
and need to be replaced all the time. I am looking for something more
permanent. What can I use? I have considered using an oil based
floor and deck enamel, and spreading sand in top of it, then
repainting over the sand.

Sand isn't the best option, as it is too coarse. Years ago sailors used
ground nut shells, but today they use anti-skid compound, which are tiny
particles, I think of glass, that feel like very very fine sand. You
just mix them into the paint and apply the paint, stirring every so
often to keep the compound from settling. Once this has been applied,
the deck feels fairly smooth, but is very resistant to slipping. Get
the compound where they sell marine paints, or online at someplace like
West marine.

I have also thought about nailing down some
roll roofing, but know that will crack. I dont really want to paint
the whole deck. I like the look of the wood, but will paint in front
of the door if necessary, to prevent getting a broken leg.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

there.