DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fireplace grate (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/74218-fireplace-grate.html)

oreo123 October 22nd 04 09:42 PM

fireplace grate

Years ago I was at a skiclub and there was this device that I would like to
find. Basically the inside of the grate that held the burning wood was
hollow. Outside in the room there was a small fan and flex pipe going to the
grate blowing air through it. And on the other side of this grate the hot
air exhausted into the room. Basically it pulled the heat off the grate and
put it into the room & did quite well.

Does anyone know where one of these can be found? Or what its called?

TIA

Roger October 22nd 04 10:59 PM

Years ago I was at a skiclub and there was this device that I would like
to find. Basically the inside of the grate that held the burning wood was
hollow. Outside in the room there was a small fan and flex pipe going to
the grate blowing air through it. And on the other side of this grate the
hot air exhausted into the room. Basically it pulled the heat off the
grate and put it into the room & did quite well.

There are several brands. One is Heatnglo - search on Google.
Some add'l advice may be had at http://hearth.com/questions/qa944.html
Another great newsgroup source is alt.energy.homepower, for advice

James Nipper October 23rd 04 12:29 AM

He also wanted to know what you call them. Aren't they called
ventilators??

Not sure, but I think so..........

--James--

Gordon Parks October 23rd 04 04:02 AM

There was one in my fireplace when I bought my house. It was made by Sears.
(one of their suppliers) I took it out after trying it for two winters. The
cool air going into the tube/grates made it impossible to keep a good bed of
coals going and I had to constantly stoke the fire with kindling to keep it
from going out. Keeping a fire going was not a problem if the blower was
turned off.

tcg October 23rd 04 04:02 AM

"oreo123" wrote in message
| Years ago I was at a skiclub and there was this device that I would like
| find. Basically the inside of the grate that held the burning wood was
| hollow. Outside in the room there was a small fan and flex pipe going to
the
| grate blowing air through it. And on the other side of this grate the hot
| air exhausted into the room. Basically it pulled the heat off the grate
and
| put it into the room & did quite well.
|
| Does anyone know where one of these can be found? Or what its called?
|
| TIA

We've had one similar, although not the same, to this design for the past 15
years. Ours has no back shield and only a 2 speed blower. It works very well
and moves large amounts of hot air out of the fireplace. Using it with a
ceiling fan and occasionally with only the blower on the furnace is very
effective. We were told we would need to replace the tubes after about 5
years but so far none have burned through using about 5 days a week during
Chicago winters.

http://www.ecofire.com/specifications.htm#existing

Red Neckerson October 23rd 04 04:50 AM

AAAARRRRGGGGG!