Michael Stoic

Default Steam Radiator Repair - Epoxy

Want to see how I've expoxied a cracked radiator?

http://209.197.228.45/~podjars/rad.htm

What do you think? Will it hold?

MS
Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Stoic" wrote in message
Want to see how I've expoxied a cracked radiator?

http://209.197.228.45/~podjars/rad.htm

What do you think? Will it hold?

I doubt it. The metal will expand and contract and there is pressure on the
epoxy. Might buy you a few days, but welding is the proper cure.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Michael Stoic" wrote in message
Want to see how I've expoxied a cracked radiator?

http://209.197.228.45/~podjars/rad.htm

What do you think? Will it hold?

I doubt it. The metal will expand and contract and there is pressure on

the
epoxy. Might buy you a few days, but welding is the proper cure.

Call it weld if you like, but I think brazing would be the proper term.

Suggest the OP might try asking in rec.crafts.metalworking if his epoxy
repair fails.

--

SVL

m Ransley

Epoxy , no , Solder mayby , Brazing - welding yes

Joe Bobst

What do you think? Will it hold?

No. Brazing might be better, welding with nickel rod will work best and is much
faster to do. HTH

Joe

Charles Spitzer

"Michael Stoic" wrote in message
Want to see how I've expoxied a cracked radiator?

http://209.197.228.45/~podjars/rad.htm

What do you think? Will it hold?

MS

there's lots of different types of epoxy. i'd use marinetex if i had to use
epoxy, which is good enough to use on engine manifolds.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message
there's lots of different types of epoxy. i'd use marinetex if i had to
use epoxy, which is good enough to use on engine manifolds.

But an engine manifold has a vacuum, not pressure. This says it is for dry
environments.

http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20P...faq%20info.htm
Up to what temperature can Marine-Tex be used?

Depends on pressure and conditions, up to 250°F constant temperature, spikes
up to 300-325°F in dry environments.

This is not suitable either because of temperature.

Can I apply FlexSet to a repair that is submerged in water?
Yes. FlexSet has an amazing ability to almost push the water aside so that
it bonds directly to the repair surface. The attraction of the FlexSet to
the repair area increases as the material reaches full cure (24 hours in
72°F)

What temperatures can FlexSet withstand?
Once fully cured, FlexSet can withstand temperatures from -40°F to 100°F.

Michael Stoic

I don't mean to argue, I was just wondering.

However, I once repaired the water jacket in an aluminum manifold,
during wintertime and while the manifold was on the car. The crack was
on a rounded section and appeared to curve out of sight. JB Weld held
and the leak was gone for as long as I owned the car. Just a story,
from personal experience.

The radiator is now connected and I am going to observe it for a few
days. Who knows...

MS

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:39:35 GMT, Michael Stoic
wrote:

Want to see how I've expoxied a cracked radiator?

http://209.197.228.45/~podjars/rad.htm

What do you think? Will it hold?

MS

Oscar_Lives

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Epoxy , no , Solder mayby , Brazing - welding yes

Yeah, right. I'd like to see you weld cast iron.

Idiot.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Epoxy , no , Solder mayby , Brazing - welding yes

Yeah, right. I'd like to see you weld cast iron.

Idiot.

I assume the word "Idiot" is your signature, not something you are calling
others. Please educate yourself, Mr. Idiot, so you don't look silly.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ronpreheat.asp
or
http://www.muggyweld.com/castiron.html
or from:

http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/band_3/jk25.html
Weldability
This depends on microstructure and mechanical properties. For example, grey
cast iron is inherently brittle and often cannot withstand stresses set up
by a cooling weld. As the lack of ductility is caused by the coarse graphite
flakes, the graphite clusters in malleable irons, and the nodular graphite
in SG irons, give significantly higher ductility which improves the
weldability.

The weldability may be lessened by the formation of hard and brittle
microstructures in the heat affected zone (HAZ), consisting of iron carbides
and martensite. As nodular and malleable irons are less likely to form
martensite, they are more readily weldable, particularly if the ferrite
content is high.

Oscar_Lives

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for proving my point!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
Weldability
This depends on microstructure and mechanical properties. For example,
grey cast iron is inherently brittle and often cannot withstand stresses
set up by a cooling weld. As the lack of ductility is caused by the
coarse graphite flakes, the graphite clusters in malleable irons, and the
nodular graphite in SG irons, give significantly higher ductility which
improves the weldability.

The weldability may be lessened by the formation of hard and brittle
microstructures in the heat affected zone (HAZ), consisting of iron
carbides and martensite. As nodular and malleable irons are less likely
to form martensite, they are more readily weldable, particularly if the
ferrite content is high.

Thanks for proving my point!

No, I proved it can be welded, albeit with some care needed, You sait NO.

Buffing? Darren Woodturning 4 October 6th 04 04:56 PM
Epoxy and machine building.... Richard Nienhuis Metalworking 19 December 20th 03 12:56 AM
Need Help With Stuck Steam Pipe Vito Cavallo Home Repair 7 November 18th 03 03:51 PM
glue in knotholes T. Woodworking 8 October 8th 03 11:41 PM