sligo

Default NEC question

Running a 110 v pond pump wiring underground. I will use plastic
conduit underground. Can I continue the plastic conduit above ground to
box?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson
Speedy Jim

sligo wrote:

Running a 110 v pond pump wiring underground. I will use plastic
conduit underground. Can I continue the plastic conduit above ground to
box?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Yes, as long as the conduit is not exposed to possible damage.
The box must be separately supported (sturdy post), not by the conduit.

Jim

Greg

Running a 110 v pond pump wiring underground. I will use plastic
conduit underground. Can I continue the plastic conduit above ground to
box?

A conditioned "yes". If it is marked sunlight resistant it is designed to be
run above ground. The good news is I have not seen any grey PVC (Rigid
Nonmetalic Conduit) that was not listed for above ground and underground at any
of the home stores. It should be fine.
Provide a post or other support when it leaves the ground and to hold the box.
Your burial depth is a minimum of 12" for a residential GFCI protected 120v 15
or 20a circuit. Otherwise RNMC should be 18".

SQLit

"sligo" wrote in message
Running a 110 v pond pump wiring underground. I will use plastic
conduit underground. Can I continue the plastic conduit above ground to
box?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

All answers are good UNLESS your in the sun belt. I have never seen any PVC
last more than 5 years in Arizona when exposed to the sun. If you in the
sun belt use an wrapped rigid elbow to turn up. You will probably move on
before you would have trouble with it.
Make sure you supply wire can handle the voltage drop.

---

Greg

I have never seen any PVC
last more than 5 years in Arizona

It's getting better, I have some that is doing fine in South Florida and it is
pretty sunny here.
I cornered the Carlon guy at a building official conference and he did admit
they were still using the old formula on conduit body covers and straps. (they
were not in the listing for some reason)