Barry Feldman

Default Smell from Shower Drain (Uggh)

we have one shower in the house. (I had the cesspools checked and the
cesspool guy said they're not the problem)

It doesn't smell until you start the shower then this acrid smell comes
out of the drain that's pretty awful then it goes away after about a
minute.

The cesspool company said maybe it's a venting problem. My plumber said
it couldn't be something about the trap and how it's situated vis a vis
the vent( I didn't understand)

the plumber suggested pouring bleach down the drain that there was some
stuff in there. It didn't help! The trap and the piping under the
shower is new PVC.

Any ideas. I think it is a venting problem but the plumber doesn't want
to get his A## over here. and my guess is worth nothing when it comes
to plumbing

Thanks for any help

Barry

--
Barry

Speedy Jim

Barry Feldman wrote:

we have one shower in the house. (I had the cesspools checked and the
cesspool guy said they're not the problem)

It doesn't smell until you start the shower then this acrid smell comes
out of the drain that's pretty awful then it goes away after about a
minute.

The cesspool company said maybe it's a venting problem. My plumber said
it couldn't be something about the trap and how it's situated vis a vis
the vent( I didn't understand)

the plumber suggested pouring bleach down the drain that there was some
stuff in there. It didn't help! The trap and the piping under the
shower is new PVC.

Remove the drain cover and look down with a bright light.
Can you see the water in the trap?
Yes? Then the trap is working and "trapping" sewer gases.

Flush the toilet while watching water in the trap.
Does the water remain relatively still? Doesn't get sucked out?
OK? Then it's not a venting issue.

Usually shower drain odors are caused by mold/mildew growth
on soap scum which is located *above* the trap inlet. Hot water
from showering releases noxious gases from the molds.
The fix in this case is a thorough scrubbing (toothbrush) with
a bleach solution to get rid of the scum. Just dumping bleach
down the drain won't get rid of it.

Jim
Barry Feldman

thanks - now I understand what the plumber was trying to explain about
the trap.

I'm going to work I'll let you know how it works.

Barry
Glen Head NY

In article , Speedy Jim wrote:

Barry Feldman wrote:

[...]

Wa6tkq

Does your shower have a sliding door or a door that swings outward?

pet

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:45:54 +0000, Barry Feldman wrote:

[...]

Does shower drain have a trap? If not, install one. If it does, clean
it out.

Clean the shower on a regular basis.

Red Neckerson

"Barry Feldman" wrote

we have one shower in the house. (I had the cesspools checked and the
cesspool guy said they're not the problem)

SNIP

Next time if you get that "urge" while taking a shower, step out and use the
toilet instead of the shower......

PlumberSurplus.com

You could try professional strength drain cleaner or a flow opener.
Check out these variations at PlumberSurplus.com

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/ProductList.aspx?ID=280

Something there should help...

[...]

Barry Feldman

It's got a swing out door and there is a trap

Red: I listen to Howard Stern and his poop jokes are funny I hope you
have another profession.
(what I love about the internet is that people think not putting
their real name down gives them license to act like complete aholes
-and I guess it does but it's pathetic)

The drain was incredibly caked up, I had to practically chisel the
dried soap gunk out. some of it is still in the trap I'll probably have
to.

Thanks for the constructive help.

PS Red - keep trying..you'll make it someday

In article ,
PlumberSurplus.com wrote:

[...]

Wa6tkq

It's got a swing out door and there is a trap

Sometimes when a swing-out shower door is quickly pulled open it creates a
suction which pulls smelly air hovering in and above the trap up into the stall
at nose level. Try opening the door slowly the next time and see if the odor is
there.

KZ

I had a similar problem a while back and was offered the same options for a
cure. However in my case, it turned out to be water leaking into the floor
around the drain and rotting the material underneath. Consider this if all
else fails. I had to remove and replace the floor and re-tile.

KZ

In article , Speedy Jim wrote:

Barry Feldman wrote:

[...]

Hagrinas Mivali

KZ wrote:
I had a similar problem a while back and was offered the same options
for a cure. However in my case, it turned out to be water leaking
into the floor around the drain and rotting the material underneath.
Consider this if all else fails. I had to remove and replace the
floor and re-tile.

Another possibility is that it's hydrogen sulfide. It may not actually be
from the drain, but from the water itself. This has as characteristic
"rotten egg" smell that could be described as acrid.

If the problem comes from the water heater, it will typically appear when
the water is first turned on, and then go away after about a minute. It's
caused when sulfates in the water react with hydrogen in the water, and the
anode rod in the water heater can contribute to the problem. It can be more
prevalent if you have a water softener. Logically, it would happen with all
tap water, but since shower water has heat that forces the gas into the air
in a relatively enclosed place surrounded by the moisture that holds it,
it's often noticeable in the shower only.

The trap is still a sensible first place to look. If looking at the trap
gets you nowhere, then figure out if this odor comes from hot water only or
cold water too, if it's possible to do that in your shower. If you find
that it happens only when hot water is running, then your water heater may
need flushing, and the magnesium anode rod may need to be replaced with an
aluminum one.

If this is the problem, be sure to read up on flushing water heaters before
you actually do it.

KZ

In article , Speedy Jim wrote:

Barry Feldman wrote:

[...]

Barry Feldman

I finanlly figured out what the hell it was. I had removed the silicone
around the bottom of the shower in order to replace it. Being the
weekend warrior I am it took forver for me to redo it.

I did and the smell stoped!! I had asked my plumber if this would have
caused the smell and he said no - but live and learn.

BF

Shower drain install Brian Home Repair 2 May 18th 04 04:26 PM
Shower Drain Needs Replacement HELP Michael Roback Home Repair 1 October 23rd 03 06:40 PM
Shower Drain Needs Replacement HELP Michael Roback Home Ownership 1 October 23rd 03 06:40 PM
Shower drain pan removal Jim Mc Namara Home Repair 6 July 5th 03 03:40 AM