barry martin

Default Attaching a new phone plu

Hi ALan!

AD I have a phone extension cord pulled from one side of a room to another one
AD (around the room, under the carpet). The thing is that the extension cord i

AD way too long, which results in big bundle of unused cable at the "output"
AD location. I'd like to cut the cable down, and re-attach a new phone plug

Read the problem has been solved; more or less posting this for the
benefit of lurkers (though some will probably think I'm posting just
to see myself type! g)

As another poster indicated, many phone line cords use some sort of
foil-like strand for the conductors. I've found these
next-to-impossible to neatly strip the insulation, and soldering with
standard electronic tools is impossible. (I've been told silver
solder would work. Cheaper to buy a new cord!)

When crimping need to be sure the wires are in the correct pin slots.
Also appears some line cords are wired straight-through and others as
cross-over -- I've rewired (swapped R&G) telephone jacks so the
polarity comes out correctly. (And yes, I know most current telephone
equipment doesn't care if the polarity is correct or not.)

Part of my the-wire-is-too-long solution is stuffing the excess behind
the desk or otherwise hiding it. Out of sight, out of mind! g

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Knees buckle? Belt won't? Then you know you're old!
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *