Brad Finch

Default Walk-behind Snow Plow?

Somebody had several of these on eBay last winter: A fairly traditional
(yet small) snow plow mounted on a single axel with a lawnmower-like
handle bar. No power, you just push the thing along and take passes at
your snow; it shoves it all off to the side. Anyway, now I can't find
any anywhere. Anyone remember this? Anyone ever tried one of these?
Anybody think I'm nuts?
Rich

Snow pusher.
http://www.snowpusherplus.com

Rich
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

"Brad Finch" wrote in message
Somebody had several of these on eBay last winter: A fairly traditional
(yet small) snow plow mounted on a single axel with a lawnmower-like
handle bar. No power, you just push the thing along and take passes at
your snow; it shoves it all off to the side. Anyway, now I can't find
any anywhere. Anyone remember this? Anyone ever tried one of these?
Anybody think I'm nuts?

willshak

Rich wrote:

Or you can get the cheapo version:
http://www.mileskimball.com/jump.jsp...ProductID=3350

....or even cheaper, like the one I have.
http://www.epinions.com/content_116963970692

"Brad Finch" wrote in message

Somebody had several of these on eBay last winter: A fairly traditional
(yet small) snow plow mounted on a single axel with a lawnmower-like
handle bar. No power, you just push the thing along and take passes at
your snow; it shoves it all off to the side. Anyway, now I can't find
any anywhere. Anyone remember this? Anyone ever tried one of these?
Anybody think I'm nuts?

Brad Finch

In article r%pcd.925$WN5.422@trndny08,
"Rich" wrote:

Thanks Rich! That sure looks like what I'm looking for. In about two
months I find out how well it works!

Snow pusher.
http://www.snowpusherplus.com

Harry K

Brad Finch wrote in message ...
Somebody had several of these on eBay last winter: A fairly traditional
(yet small) snow plow mounted on a single axel with a lawnmower-like
handle bar. No power, you just push the thing along and take passes at
your snow; it shoves it all off to the side. Anyway, now I can't find
any anywhere. Anyone remember this? Anyone ever tried one of these?
Anybody think I'm nuts?

The maker isn't nuts, the buyers probably are. I have moved a lot of
snow over the years. It takes power to move much. A walk behind like
that isn't going to move anything except an inch or two of dry,
powdery snow. Looks to me like another of those things you find
cluttering up storage space with years of dust on them.

Harry K
mark

"Rich" wrote:

Thanks Rich! That sure looks like what I'm looking for. In about two
months I find out how well it works!

Snow pusher.
http://www.snowpusherplus.com

Wow, you guys must not get much snow.

willshak

"Rich" wrote:

Thanks Rich! That sure looks like what I'm looking for. In about two
months I find out how well it works!

Snow pusher.
http://www.snowpusherplus.com

Wow, you guys must not get much snow.

Not every snowfall is a blizzard. Here in NY, we get snowfalls of 1" or
less at times. There's no sense pulling out the snowblower and wasting
gas for those times. Even when the snowfall is greater, you still need a
shovel to clean up places where the snowblower won't reach.
xrongor

if this is what i think it is, they dont work any better than a show shovel.
if the snow is light enough that you could just push it out of the way, the
shovel will work and you dont need a special tool. if its too thick to just
push it through, you need a shovel to move it out of the way once you get a
pile anyway, hence you dont need it.

in short, imho, useless.

randy

"Brad Finch" wrote in message
Somebody had several of these on eBay last winter: A fairly traditional
(yet small) snow plow mounted on a single axel with a lawnmower-like
handle bar. No power, you just push the thing along and take passes at
your snow; it shoves it all off to the side. Anyway, now I can't find
any anywhere. Anyone remember this? Anyone ever tried one of these?
Anybody think I'm nuts?

Brad Finch

In article ,
"xrongor" wrote:

if this is what i think it is, they dont work any better than a show shovel.
if the snow is light enough that you could just push it out of the way, the
shovel will work and you dont need a special tool. if its too thick to just
push it through, you need a shovel to move it out of the way once you get a
pile anyway, hence you dont need it.

in short, imho, useless.

randy

The problem with a standard snow shovel is, you end up having to lift
and throw snow. I have one of those big wide push-shovels and it works
pretty good, but since it's square-angled you just wind up making a
bigger and bigger pile in front of you. If the blade were angled like a
plow it would (in theory) shove the snow off to the side with each pass,
never moving a LOT of snow each time. Kinda like a side-discharge lawn
mower, working from the center and always blowing out. Now how this
works in the real world, I have no idea, but it SOUNDS good.

Also, we might get a foot of snow in a single drop, but you can always
go out a couple of times as it's falling and knock it back.

xrongor

"Brad Finch" wrote in message
In article ,
"xrongor" wrote:

[...]

after 2-3 passes you end up with a big pile of snow to move. just like a
side discharge mower starts to bog down once it hits a few passes worth of
grass clippings on the lawn, you have to move all the snow from the first
passes plus the new snow. so each pass = more snow to move at once.

i think its easier just to work across the driveway sideways and push it
straight to the edge to begin with instead of working the direction of the
driveway trying to angle the snow...

this is just my opinion...

randy

Harry K

"xrongor" wrote in message ...
"Brad Finch" wrote in message
In article ,
"xrongor" wrote:

[...]

And after the first snow fall you are stuck as you have no room to
'push' any more snow so it is resort to the shovel anyhow.

Harry K
xrongor

"Harry K" wrote in message
om...
"xrongor" wrote in message
"Brad Finch" wrote in message
In article ,
"xrongor" wrote:

[...]

well i got lots of room on the side so i dont have that problem.. i just
push it a ways off and leave room for later. if you dont have room, it wont
work very well..

randy

Amuzed2death

Or you can get the cheapo version:
http://www.mileskimball.com/jump.jsp...ProductID=3350

Or even cheaper...

I use a 30" or 36" 1x10, that I put a "handle" on (just a 2x4) and
some braces. I cut the 2x4 at an angle and attached the 1x10 so it's
perpendicular to the driveway, when I'm pushing snow. Add a couple of
braces and you've got yourself a snow pusher. And assuming these are
scrap wood peices, it's pretty dang cheap!

Depending on the consistency of the snow, I can push up to 2 inches of
snow and have my driveway cleared in a matter of minutes. If it's
just a dusting (inch or less), it works fantastic! Or, I can push it
into a pile and have the kids "scoop" the pile off to the side. They
think it's fun!

It looks a little like this (from the side):

/
/
/ --snow pusher
| / --2x4