DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Are Bigfeet necessary for pier footings? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/73343-bigfeet-necessary-pier-footings.html)

Jeff October 15th 04 06:38 PM

Are Bigfeet necessary for pier footings?

I am pouring some 8" pier footings with sonotubes to support a deck.
They will go down 4' into sand. Do I need to use bigfoot footings, or
can I just pour my own 12" square 6" deep footings at the bottom of
the hole right over the sand? I plan on securing the piers to the footings
with rebar. Thanks,

--
Jeff

Greg October 15th 04 08:01 PM

Sand? If you are in Florida the footing has to be 18" x 18" x 18" cube. (I just
did this under a permit)
It has more to do with uplift than down load.

John Hines October 16th 04 01:23 AM

(Jeff) wrote:

I am pouring some 8" pier footings with sonotubes to support a deck.
They will go down 4' into sand. Do I need to use bigfoot footings, or
can I just pour my own 12" square 6" deep footings at the bottom of
the hole right over the sand?

This falls under the ever popular "check local regulations", as it is
real hard to tell over the 'net.

SQLit October 16th 04 04:09 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
I am pouring some 8" pier footings with sonotubes to support a deck.
They will go down 4' into sand. Do I need to use bigfoot footings, or
can I just pour my own 12" square 6" deep footings at the bottom of
the hole right over the sand? I plan on securing the piers to the

footings
with rebar. Thanks,

--
Jeff

Pier footing for a lake? ocean? river? Weight of finished product?
frost/freeze?

We are not mind readers.

WAG 4 inches into the ground on dry land would not be enough

---